ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeper Prospect Travis Fulgham

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
It wasn't until his junior year that Massanutten receiver Travis Fulgham decided to try out for the football team. Fulgham (6-foot-3, 190) played basketball at Paul VI and didn't try football until he transferred to Massanutten Military Academy. Not only did Fulgham have a great year, he was selected VISAA D4 All-State.

"I had a great quarterback (Kenya Ray-Abrams) that could get me the ball," Fulgham said. "It was my first year playing football so I payed close attention to what coach wanted me to do. Coach (Chris) Gilliland really helped me throughout my first season."

He had an Outstanding first year with 58 receptions for 1614 yards and 14 touchdowns. Fulgham scored a touchdown in every game except one and finished the year with nine 100+ yard receiving games. Against Covenant, Fulgham exploded for 313 yards on 11 receptions including a 82 yard touchdown catch.

He also had a 99-yard touchdown catch against Fishburne Military Academy; not too bad for a basketball player.

"I always wanted to play football and when I arrived to Massanutten I figured I would give it a try," Fulgham said. "I gave it 100% and I didn't expect to have as good a season as I did, but there is still room for a lot of improvement."

Massanutten head coach believed he had a great player because of Fulgham's athletic ability and summer workouts.

"Travis was not a total surprise to me and the rest of the staff because he has all the tools necessary to be a tremendous receiver," Massanutten Head Coach Chris Gilliland said. "He was here during the summer and he participated in 7 on 7 days and the tournament we went to in Saluda. He learned the playbook early and was able to focus on the technical aspects of route running and blocking."

Fulgham needs to make up some ground on his recruiting and he will be attending as many camps as he can before the start of his senior year.

"He is a huge playmaker and has the ability to separate from defensive backs", Gilliland said. "In many of our games, defenses bracketed him with a safety over the top which opened up some crossing routes for other players. He may be the most talented wide receiver I have coached and will play at the Division One level. Some coach is going to get a huge infusion of talent in 2014."

This post was edited on 12/30 11:03 AM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News