ADVERTISEMENT

Sleepers

G MASTER BLASTER W

VaPreps All District
Aug 30, 2012
Who are the teams that may be getting over looked. Are any of them buzz worthy? And who might be the proverbial "giant" killer?

Best of luck to them but 1 or 2 other teams out of the west have a very good chance at 10-0. And they play a much tougher schedule but only the season will tell. Best of luck to all the teams taking the field this season.

Who else could go 10-0? I guess GW could but they play a tough schedule and would be 1 if they won them all. PM could go 10-also is that your thoughts?

I think Galax and Honaker are all that will really test GW this season. We should be 10-0 come start of the playoffs this year's team is a step up from last season.

Lost Conference defensive p.o.y Wes Parcell,3 out of 5 Lineman and few playmakers. Talent is there but young. Might have a few freshman playing as well. If they win the games they should and maybe steal 1 they'll be ok.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Bland Co. could again be in for another sleeper type year if they can stay healthy. All the skill players are back including a big, physical player who only played in one of the last 6 games of the year, the freshman who were forced in to action the second half of the season will be more experienced and game ready (hopefully). The freshman qb who played the second half of the season will be an even bigger threat and the qb who lead us to a 5-1 record will also be back from injury but I'm not sure if his wrist is completely healed. Bland has a chance to make drastic improvements as the season progresses as the oline needs to develop to take advantage of the skill. I will say that Bland has a good mix of big physical play makers and shifty play makers. The biggest concerns are O and D line play, and, as always, depth. Looking forward to the season and November will be here before we know it.

That would be great. The PH win in the first round was great but I can't help but think what might have been. Not saying we would have won but I think it would have been a different kind of game.

It's very possible and the kids deserve a chance to play it again. Bland has the pieces in place to be dangerous. Now I will say this and I mean no disrespect by it. Like you've said before if 1 or 2 kids are out it changes the whole game for teams like the Bears. GW is at least 2 deep at all positions this season and we are young. And another thing I've heard from you and others is the line play might be a fault this season. GW has an amazing O and D line this year bigger, stronger and faster than last season up front and we are faster everywhere. Again I mean no disrespect by anything I've said I wish the BEARS the best of luck this season.

Trust me more than 1 team will give us a game. Galax, RR will for sure. PH will if the line can keep us off Dakota And Honaker and Radford might. As far as the other teams on the regular season goes I honestly don't see any of them within 3-4 TDs

No disrespect taken. I think last year we would have matched up better than this year. Hopefully we can meet a little deeper next time. Good luck to you guys and every one else, except when I'm setting on the opposite side, then I hope you fumble every snap.

I can't wait for the 1st game not just for my MAROONS but for football in general. I don't know why but I have a feeling about this season. 1A is a murders row at the top I think the top 4 or 5 will be WARS! When they play.

I've heard a lot of good about PM for the upcoming season. I think a match up between us would be a good game.

Yeah both our lines are massive we have 6'2 280 Larry Isaac, 6'3 260 Parker Coe, 6'4 280 Garvin Gray, 6'5 250 Jesse Shaffer and 6'5 250 Dylan Anderson and they can move lol.

I wish you guys the best of luck this season. Maybe we will get the chance to play this year. I've never had the chance to see PM play.

B BACKER, from what I have read The Bears are ready for another run with a lot of enthusiasm and optimism From the Bland community.
It appears last year's success has carried over to this summer. The Bears captured The hearts of many fans in SWVA last year with their success on and off the field.
Bland was the "Class Act" team of the year last year. I hope the Bears will field another strong team this year, and please keep us all informed on the team as the season progresses. How many kids do you guys have returning, and how has preseason Been thus far for the Bears?

Last edited:
My pick for another team to watch this year is Hurley! The Rebels are coming off a successful year in 2015,
That included a hard fought game against State Championship Galax in last year's playoffs. Hurley has the
Best RB ( Justice) in SWVA, and several O and D returnees. If Hurley can stay healthy, and have a few younger
Kids to step up, the Rebs will be hard the handle come November. Keep us posted Honestjohn on the Rebs!

My pick for another team to watch this year is Hurley! The Rebels are coming off a successful year in 2015,
That included a hard fought game against State Championship Galax in last year's playoffs. Hurley has the
Best RB ( Justice) in SWVA, and several O and D returnees. If Hurley can stay healthy, and have a few younger
Kids to step up, the Rebs will be hard the handle come November. Keep us posted Honestjohn on the Rebs!
I agree, they have the best RB in Southwest VA., from what I have not been reading they will take a lot of teams by surprise this year. They are loaded and have one of the best coaches in SWVA.

B BACKER, from what I have read The Bears are ready for another run with a lot of enthusiasm and optimism From the Bland community.
I hope the Bears will field another strong team this year, and please keep us all informed on the team as the season progresses. How many kids do you guys have returning, and how has preseason Been thus far for the Bears?

I think bland returns 20 or so. From what I've heard numbers were a little low for the first practice, less than 30. Depth will be an issue if that's the case but that's always the case.

Yes but I'm not sure which one you're talking about. Bland will have a 230 fullback (who played against GW) and I'd say the other is one is 6'3 250+ who missed 5 out of the last six. I'm assuming this is the player you're referring to.

I think it might be the one we played against. I might be thinking of the other one either way those are some big boys holding the rock lol.

Haha we've got a stable of rb's but those are some big kids. That's one of GWs linemen running the ball not a good thing to step in front of lol.

Oh no I do that boy worries me lol. PH can beat anyone with Humphrey in the backfield. But this season they will have to keep us honest we have the DBs we needed last year. And not only that our D line play and LBs will be better. I'd say PH plays with us for a half but once our depth kicks in and most of PH has had to play both way we will pull away mid 3rd Q. Just my opinion but PH will be very dangerous to anyone they play including GW.

My eyes got opened wide to how good Humphrey is last season. I was a doubter but was quickly proven wrong. But does PH have enough around him to keep us honest and keep us out of the box? Do they have the O line to stop our D line and LBs? Only time will tell but my money would be on a half of good ball and a half of us scoring. And please don't take this as disrespect I've gained so much respect for Dakota and PH after being proven wrong last year. That young man is the best player in SWVA him or Brady Justice from Hurley.

You really don't think that PH and Humphrey will be any match for you all again?

"PH will if the line can keep us off Dakota". Not beating a dead horse but this is what I said when as by someone else ask. He can't beat us alone his team needs to step up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT