ADVERTISEMENT

Sportsmanship question

GoMBKMonarchs

VaPreps All Region
Feb 2, 2005
A discussion is taking place on the 6A board. Apparently, TC Williams chose to run through the opposing team's inflatable tunnel prior to their game, setting off a bit of a rough start to the game. TC Williams received a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty before the coin toss, and the 15 yards was enforced on the kickoff.

Here's the question. When do the officials have authority? I've always worked under the impression as soon as we entered the field, either as a group or individually. But, is there an official answer to the question? It's not the first time I've heard of a team flagged before the coin toss for an unsportsmanlike situation, and I've agreed with it every time (even when it involved the team I was following). But, I am curious, is there an official determination as to when the official's authority over the field begins?

30 minutes before game time.

An unsportsmanlike foul like that is charged to the head coach. One more and he''s ejected and suspended. If I had been on that game and thought it was a planned move, I would have given serious consideration to ejecting the head coach.when it happened. If it appeared it was a spontaneous act by the players, it would still be charged to the coach but ejection would not be as likely at that point.

It surprises me that in 2013 there are teams and players with so little respect for the game that they would do that.
This post was edited on 11/18 11:41 PM by White hat

Thanks for the clarification

Seems like a no brainer penalty to me, and I agree with your assessment on ejection concerning the coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT