ADVERTISEMENT

Spotlight Games for Region 4D Week 5

lyhsports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
May 17, 2017
Lynchburg, Va
Just wanted to spotlight 2 games that i think will answer some questions in Region 4D

1. Halifax vs. Jefferson Forest
Lastweek: JF Lost to Glass 59-21, Halifax Beat Parkview(SH) 34-14

JF is coming off a tough first four weeks in which they had a bye in the first week, then 3 straight road games. They should also have a fire lit in them after losing to Glass by 38. I expect the offense to start to click and put up big numbers, and the Defense to play more inspired. First home game of the year should give them a boost.

Halifax will try to use this game as proof that they belong in Region 4D. This game will answer a lot of questions about this improved Halifax team. They have some athletes that could give JF some trouble. They have a schedule that should put them at no less than 7-3 for the regular season. Win this one, and they could go for 8-2, but of course one game at a time.

Prediction: JF 42- Halifax 27

Salem at Blacksburg

Last week: Salem over Northside 21-14, Blacksburg over Staunton River 49-14

This game is on a Thursday, so expect big crowds from all over(i'm thinking about going to this one). This game will reveal a lot about both teams. Last year's game was decided by 3 points. The matchups I like are Salem 's running game vs Blacksburg's front, and Blacksburg's pass defense vs Salem's secondary. This will be a great game

Prediction: Salem 28 - Blacksburg 27

What are you guys' thoughts on these two games?

I don't know too much on Salem and Blacksburg, so I will just comment on JF/Halifax.

JF has played their 1st three games on the road and against 2 teams that look to be studs. Halifax has played their first 3 games at home against teams that really only offered up the opportunity to build confidence. JF is putting up points, but also giving up points, being outscored on the year 123-84 (but again it was against GW and Glass). Halifax is putting up points and being stingy on D, outscoring opponents 97-41 (only 1 TD against 1st D or in 1st half). MaxPreps has JF ranked 108 and Halifax 117.

Both schools have athletes and speed. JF's players obviously have a lot more recognition, but Halifax has a few players that could end up with nice offers by seasons end. JF always has the run game and compliments it nicely with a potentially dangerous passing game. Halifax relies on it's running game and is starting to sprinkle the pass in more, but not enough (they have a pretty good WR nobody knows about).

It is JF's first home game of the season and homecoming on top of that. Halifax will not be used to the type of environment they will be walking into. JF has less players playing both ways, where Halifax has the core of their team playing both sides of the ball. I think that the environment, less players going both ways and the better passing game favor JF and the game is close for awhile, but JF eventually goes up by 2 scores and Halifax is not built for coming back from a deficit. JF wins this one 41-28, but Halifax makes a few more people believe in them.

I don't know too much on Salem and Blacksburg, so I will just comment on JF/Halifax.

JF has played their 1st three games on the road and against 2 teams that look to be studs. Halifax has played their first 3 games at home against teams that really only offered up the opportunity to build confidence. JF is putting up points, but also giving up points, being outscored on the year 123-84 (but again it was against GW and Glass). Halifax is putting up points and being stingy on D, outscoring opponents 97-41 (only 1 TD against 1st D or in 1st half). MaxPreps has JF ranked 108 and Halifax 117.

Both schools have athletes and speed. JF's players obviously have a lot more recognition, but Halifax has a few players that could end up with nice offers by seasons end. JF always has the run game and compliments it nicely with a potentially dangerous passing game. Halifax relies on it's running game and is starting to sprinkle the pass in more, but not enough (they have a pretty good WR nobody knows about).

It is JF's first home game of the season and homecoming on top of that. Halifax will not be used to the type of environment they will be walking into. JF has less players playing both ways, where Halifax has the core of their team playing both sides of the ball. I think that the environment, less players going both ways and the better passing game favor JF and the game is close for awhile, but JF eventually goes up by 2 scores and Halifax is not built for coming back from a deficit. JF wins this one 41-28, but Halifax makes a few more people believe in them.

Great stuff. Is the WR you're talking about Chappell for Halifax? Halifax also has a Freshman Qb don't they?

Halifax will show what they’re made of this week. Nottoway isn’t a scrub 2A team and Park View is usually solid, they’re just weirdly located where they’re in a sad district where they just don’t play anybody. Halifax played North Stafford well last year in the playoffs for the first half. I think they’ll be fine but I don’t think they’ll have enough in the end. Zyon Wilson, Will Davis, and the Chappell kid are stout for Halifax and one of them could bring home all region honors.

Reactions: lyhsports
Halifax will show what they’re made of this week. Nottoway isn’t a scrub 2A team and Park View is usually solid, they’re just weirdly located where they’re in a sad district where they just don’t play anybody. Halifax played North Stafford well last year in the playoffs for the first half. I think they’ll be fine but I don’t think they’ll have enough in the end. Zyon Wilson, Will Davis, and the Chappell kid are stout for Halifax and one of them could bring home all region honors.

Those three are good players for Halifax and will most definitely keep them in the game.

Great stuff. Is the WR you're talking about Chappell for Halifax? Halifax also has a Freshman Qb don't they?

Yes, the WR is Chappell who is listed at 6'4, 195. Halifax uses a senior and freshman in the QB rotation. The senior is Thomas Lee (6'1, 190) and the freshman is Kameron roberts (6'3, 205). The main defensive player is B. Davis (6'2, 215) who has been invited to play in the Blue Grey game in Tampa this January.

I don't know how big JF's O line is and size doesn't always matter and might not make a difference, but according to Maxpreps Halifax's d line is listed as 6'3, 240...6'1,305...6'3,235.

I thought the Salem fans would've been all over this. They're quiet. Must mean they're nervous about this game.
It should be a back and forth game. Speed should be pretty equal this year. I think the question mark for both teams will be line play. It would be nice to see Salem control the LOS and have sustained drives. We've seen big plays decide the last couple of games. Of course, it'd be nice to have both.

I thought the Salem fans would've been all over this. They're quiet. Must mean they're nervous about this game.
This is an early look at a possible second round playoff match up. I have in no particular order GW, Glass, Blacksburg and Salem as the top 4 in Region D. Unless we have an upset in the first round. I can see the loser of this game playing on the road at any of the other 3 teams. So it's definitely important for playoff seeding.

Ooooh! NOW you’ve done it! You called me nervous!! NOBODY CALLS ME NERVOUS!!!

Okay...faux psychosis and outrage aside, I am actually a little less concerned about this game than I was about Northside. I might be completely misguided in thinking this, but I think Salem will take this one, along the lines of 28-17. No offense to our Bruin buddies.

And if I’m wrong, it’s because I was too nervous to make a proper prediction.

Ooooh! NOW you’ve done it! You called me nervous!! NOBODY CALLS ME NERVOUS!!!

Okay...faux psychosis and outrage aside, I am actually a little less concerned about this game than I was about Northside. I might be completely misguided in thinking this, but I think Salem will take this one, along the lines of 28-17. No offense to our Bruin buddies.

And if I’m wrong, it’s because I was too nervous to make a proper prediction.

Haha. Just was trying to get a resoponse. Good stuff from all of the Salemers!

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Glass will roll, but Rustburg has played solid defense so far. Coach Baker usually finds a weakness In the Glass D that he will exploit. Glass will have to make adjustments early in order to pull away early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT