ADVERTISEMENT

Springers JV steamrolls Henrico....

84-6! Why poke the bull! The horns WILL hurt!
I mean this respectfully, but why post scores like this for JV? I realize you are justifiably proud of the HS teams and their accomplishments, especially for the past 5 years, but this is JV. The other team's kids might read this and it doesn't show them in a positive light, regardless of the fact that I agree you cannot hold back the 3rd and 4th stringers on a good team and that a team's dense is responsible for stopping the other team's offense. And the HS JV knows what they did in the game. Personally, since we all know how good the HS JV is, I would say post something like "The HS JV easily rolled to another big victory last night".

Reactions: Coach G - FB
I mean this respectfully, but why post scores like this for JV? I realize you are justifiably proud of the HS teams and their accomplishments, especially for the past 5 years, but this is JV. The other team's kids might read this and it doesn't show them in a positive light, regardless of the fact that I agree you cannot hold back the 3rd and 4th stringers on a good team and that a team's dense is responsible for stopping the other team's offense. And the HS JV knows what they did in the game. Personally, since we all know how good the HS JV is, I would say post something like "The HS JV easily rolled to another big victory last night".
You are correct. I changed it! I guess the early trash talk and undisciplined play led to a little post-game trash talk.

I get it,but the jv and varsity team are connected! ...and respect to the other kids? I get that to and I agree! Respect the kids, but when they disrespect you! I heard (I wasb't there), Henrico boys taunted HS and disrespected them, like they always do. Ir just riles up our boys and it makes them want to embarrass them! So,with that said, they probably deserved the ass whippin,!

I get it,but the jv and varsity team are connected! ...and respect to the other kids? I get that to and I agree! Respect the kids, but when they disrespect you! I heard (I wasb't there), Henrico boys taunted HS and disrespected them, like they always do. Ir just riles up our boys and it makes them want to embarrass them! So,with that said, they probably deserved the ass whippin,!
Like you said...if you’re gonna talk trash...you BETTER be able to back it up!

It may get ugly tonight too!

It's not HSHS job to stop themselves and not allow all to play which they do. If Henrico doesn't want a beat down the keep their mouth shut. I just find it interesting the same people defending HSHS program, last Friday mentioned the disrespect of style points of other teams of so called running up scores. It one or the other perspective. Don't be fake! My opionion of all is if you don't want them to score then stop them.

Did HS JV keep throwing up big? If so, I guess there’s validity to the complaints. If they were running in the 4th Q, then more power to them. Score 100. Defense is part of the game. Stop the other team.

And the first post made it obvious to me the Henrico side must have been running their mouths pregame, which is jjust DUMB. HS responded by punching them in the mouth & hopefully not running their mouths back.

I saw this two seasons ago when HS varsity traveled to Lee-Davis. L-D kids barking in pregame warmups. Like....huh??

It's not HSHS job to stop themselves and not allow all to play which they do. If Henrico doesn't want a beat down the keep their mouth shut. I just find it interesting the same people defending HSHS program, last Friday mentioned the disrespect of style points of other teams of so called running up scores. It one or the other perspective. Don't be fake! My opionion of all is if you don't want them to score then stop them.
JV only has 25-28 kids, I don't know the exact number, but no where near as many that's on varsity. So, subs are limited. Remember varsity consists of 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team. JV would be our 4th and 5th teams!. How do we 'go easier" on an opponent without bring in cheerleaders and maybe marching band or our flag girls!? This IS, after all, JV football!

If there was trash talk from an OBVIOUSLY inferior team....yeah...you punish them. BUT...running a score up just to embarrass a team because you’re trying to look impressive....NOPE! I’m not going to mention team names....I won’t do that! BUT....there are better teams on the horizon that that team won’t be able to look impressive against.

I just don’t believe generally in the concept of “running up the score”. Like I said earlier, I guess if you’re passing late while up big, maybe that’s a bad look. But it’s a competition & playing down to your competition is a bad look in my opinion. It’s also more insulting from my viewpoint.

A lot of valid points in this thread. And I did not know of the trash talk (and did not pick that up from the original post when I read it) which I am 1,000% against, period. Let your play do the talking, not your mouth. Then again, I am old and the game (all sports) are different now. If their opponent did talk too much BS, you reap what you sow.

Last edited:
I don't even care if you are throwing the heck out of the ball late in the game as long as it is the backups that are doing it. The only time that someone can be accused of running up the score is when they leave in their starters when the game is out of hand AND you have a sideline full of backups.

Those backups are supposed to try to score when they get in there. Anyone who says different is shortsighted in my opinion. Those kids practice hard all week just like the starters. To think they shouldn't try their hardest or be expected to succeed is foolish. Not playing hard is a recipe for injury to someone.

A lot of valid points in this thread. And I did not know of the trash talk (and did not pick that up from the original post when I read it) which I am 1,000% against, period. Let your play do the talking, not your mouth. Then again, I am old and the game (all sports) are different now. If their opponent did talk too much BS, you reap what you sow.
Well....Henrico,Manchester,and Varina are all talking trash to the Springers kids in their social media pages....gonna be some feelings getting hurt!

Well....Henrico,Manchester,and Varina are all talking trash to the Springers kids in their social media pages....gonna be some feelings getting hurt!
Kids will be kids and trash talk. Them trash talking has nothing to do with grown men that’s been out of high school for 30+ years getting into it (no grown should be). We are examples to the youth.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Agree 100℅. It all starts by respecting the effort those kids are putting out. Win by 1 TD or 10, give props to your opponent's efforts. The kids around you only know what YOU teach them. If you see bad things, you better be looking hard at yourself!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I just don’t believe generally in the concept of “running up the score”. Like I said earlier, I guess if you’re passing late while up big, maybe that’s a bad look. But it’s a competition & playing down to your competition is a bad look in my opinion. It’s also more insulting from my viewpoint.
In most cases and especially at the JV level, running is more likely to run up the score than passing. It is hard when you are the losing end of a beat down and you just cannot stop the opponent. I don't even mind if the backups are running a hurry up offense to try and get that 4th string RB a TD. If coach is calling time outs to prolong the misery, that is a different story.

@falcettik Henrico has a history the last few years of taunting or gesturing toward the opposition bench and even going so far as to plant a spear at away games. These things don't sit well with their opponents. They have been talented enough in recent years to get away with it and win most places, but that's not happening so much this year. Karma.

I will reply as a coach of HsHs. We didn’t attempt to run up the score at all. It was 48-0 at half. Our 1’s And 2’s played a quarter and half. We had two kickoff returns for TD in the second half. Our 4th string running back scored and a WR scored on a screen pass. We don’t have a kicker for JV so we have to go for two. On those plays we put the 5th and 6th string kids. We have 63 kids and some kids who never really played football got valuable game experience. It wasn’t done in malice.

I will reply as a coach of HsHs. We didn’t attempt to run up the score at all. It was 48-0 at half. Our 1’s And 2’s played a quarter and half. We had two kickoff returns for TD in the second half. Our 4th string running back scored and a WR scored on a screen pass. We don’t have a kicker for JV so we have to go for two. On those plays we put the 5th and 6th string kids. We have 63 kids and some kids who never really played football got valuable game experience. It wasn’t done in malice.
Pure class

Reactions: Senex
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT