ADVERTISEMENT

Sriver vs JF

HokieTDTech

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 26, 2012
Juat curious on everybody thoughts on how this game is going to go down ?!! I really think this game is going to be a close one . Can JF stop the river ? Can JF play ball control and eat up the clock and put some points up ? This game will tell a lot about both teams .

Reactions: Chucksteel72
I believe this game will be close. I was at the Heritage scrimmage and watched SR get exposed by the Pioneers. They are not as physical as they were last year and Heritage made them look like they were running in quick sand. SR is a little overrated this year in my opinion. I have only seen SR play once but not impressed with them on either side of the ball. JF is young but a well coached group and will be ready to revenge last year's defeat. JF will be able to score but will they be able to get stops on D. I am really impressed with JF's depth at every position. I believe they are going to wear down SR and win. (If JF can get stops early it could be a long night for SR.) JF will be in the mix come the end of the year in the Seminole district. Good luck to both teams.

Reactions: HokieTDTech
I was at the SR scrimmage vs Heritage. What I saw was a Heritage team take advantage of 3 special teams mistakes. Squib kicked to begin the game never made it past the 50 yd line. Then after a SR 3 & out, SR snapped the ball over the punters head giving Heritage the ball at the 10 yd line. 2 short fields to begin on 2 consecutive possessions.Then SR put together a nice drive in which in my opinion they exposed Heritage interior line by getting 5-10 yds every carry all the way to Heritages 30 yd before fumbling and allowing a 70 yd fumble return for a td. Next possession SR drove the ball from the 25 all the way to the end zone mainly getting 5-10 yd carries between the tackles. On the ensuing kickoff SR gave up a kickoff return for a td. So 3 special teams mistakes and a fumble return for a td. I did think Heritages drive before the end of the half was very good. Don't get me wrong here, Heritage is a good football team, but if SR cleans up the special teams that is very different ball game. As far as the SR/JF game. All I know is, it's a county rivalry. 1st game of the season. Great coaches on both sides of the field. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going with the Golden Eagle's.

I was at the game last week. SR had no answer for the Heritage passing game. Heritage didn't really have any long drives where they ran the ball. They just threw screens to Moss, and he took it from there. JF is not a passing team with the exception of the play action pass. I think JF will get their running game going and burn SR a couple of times with the play action.

It also looked like Grayson Overstreet did not get the ball much last week. It was preseason, so I'm sure they intentionally did not give him many touches. When he did get the ball, he had some 5-10 yard gains and he plowed over Heritage defenders in the process. They still only scored 7 points though. But I see SR utilizing their backs and getting a lot of nice gains. It'll be interesting to see how JF's defense looks with the new coordinator.

If JF was a big play team I would say JF by a lot, but I think it will be close. It'll be a good game for sure!

I was at the game last week. SR had no answer for the Heritage passing game. Heritage didn't really have any long drives where they ran the ball. They just threw screens to Moss, and he took it from there. JF is not a passing team with the exception of the play action pass. I think JF will get their running game going and burn SR a couple of times with the play action.

It also looked like Grayson Overstreet did not get the ball much last week. It was preseason, so I'm sure they intentionally did not give him many touches. When he did get the ball, he had some 5-10 yard gains and he plowed over Heritage defenders in the process. They still only scored 7 points though. But I see SR utilizing their backs and getting a lot of nice gains. It'll be interesting to see how JF's defense looks with the new coordinator.

If JF was a big play team I would say JF by a lot, but I think it will be close. It'll be a good game for sure!

You are absolutely correct on your observation...
I was at the SR scrimmage vs Heritage. What I saw was a Heritage team take advantage of 3 special teams mistakes. Squib kicked to begin the game never made it past the 50 yd line. Then after a SR 3 & out, SR snapped the ball over the punters head giving Heritage the ball at the 10 yd line. 2 short fields to begin on 2 consecutive possessions.Then SR put together a nice drive in which in my opinion they exposed Heritage interior line by getting 5-10 yds every carry all the way to Heritages 30 yd before fumbling and allowing a 70 yd fumble return for a td. Next possession SR drove the ball from the 25 all the way to the end zone mainly getting 5-10 yd carries between the tackles. On the ensuing kickoff SR gave up a kickoff return for a td. So 3 special teams mistakes and a fumble return for a td. I did think Heritages drive before the end of the half was very good. Don't get me wrong here, Heritage is a good football team, but if SR cleans up the special teams that is very different ball game. As far as the SR/JF game. All I know is, it's a county rivalry. 1st game of the season. Great coaches on both sides of the field. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going with the Golden Eagle's.
___
You are spot on in your assessment. This, in my opinion, was more about what SR did not do as opposed to what Heritage did do.

It will be an interesting matchup. Staunton River had tremendous success because they had a really great line that would allow the backs into the second level fairly easily. Couple of those pieces have graduated and new guys are coming in. Overstreet is a beast, and will continue to make things happen. Jones and Tester are good compliment backs, but not as hard to bring down. Once the line gels the offense will hum right along again. I am a big fan of the addition of the Liberty transfer, and he will give them the ability to pass more than last season, as well as, give them another running option.
JF will be able to showoff the new defense, and a coaching staff that is top to bottom, one of the best in the state. If you like hard hitting ground and pound football this is the game for you.
Rivalry games bring out the best in teams, and there is an electric atmosphere in Moneta right now. I like the Golden Eagles at home, but it will be fairly close.

I believe that Jefferson Forest will come out early and establish a good ground game against a slow sr defense that missed alot of tackles last week against heritage. Sr offense will be able to move the ball well as they have several special players on that side of the ball, but if they don't keep drives alive then the jf offense will wear the sr defense down and burn them late with play action. I've got jf winning fairly easily 28-14. Not as close as the score shows tho.

JF is a much improved team. Speed kills. Heritage shredded the SR defense and Christmas is going to come up with a game plan to expose that. SR had a pretty good D last year but I think they are average at best this year. Last time I checked defense wins championships, they are not going to be able to outscore everyone. You heard it here first. They will lose to JF/Byrd/PH/LB. I did not really dislike SR until Chucksteel72 started popping off. But this is my honest opinion on there season. If SR happens to make it to the big show, Heritage will be waiting.

While I don't know much about chucksteel or any popping off I do think Sr is a very good team and will win lots of games this year. I just don't see them getting this one. They will beat lb and pH. And will do well against Byrd if the feild conditions are half as good as they were last year. I hear that was a mess although it should have favored the team running the wing imo.

If you go back and look at the 2 threads that I've posted on since I became a member Tuesday. You will clearly see or should be able to (not sure in your case) that you were the one popping off as you put it and very defensive. I or no one else from SR care whether or not you like us at all. You can make predictions all you want, after all that's what a lot of the topics on this site involve.

Reactions: Killingmesmalls
JF is a much improved team. Speed kills. Heritage shredded the SR defense and Christmas is going to come up with a game plan to expose that. SR had a pretty good D last year but I think they are average at best this year. Last time I checked defense wins championships, they are not going to be able to outscore everyone. You heard it here first. They will lose to JF/Byrd/PH/LB. I did not really dislike SR until Chucksteel72 started popping off. But this is my honest opinion on there season. If SR happens to make it to the big show, Heritage will be waiting.

Srhs up 31-15 2:21 till half

Srhs 37.
Jfhs 21

I've went back and looked and if things don't change in this game then I fear chucksteel will become unhushable this week. And after looking at some of pioneers comments I can't say I'd blame him.

Hopefully SR can stay on track. Playing 10 guys both ways. We get the ball to start 2nd half. I expect Christmas to onside kick. Tester is player of the game so far.

Reactions: Killingmesmalls
Great game from sr. I don't think this game was an indictment on jf. They will win plenty games this year with that offense and won't face another offense that good this year. Sr should roll all the way until the Byrd game. That will be one to watch. Sr defense is definitely a little vulnerable on the outside but other wise they look really good.

Reactions: Srhs24104
One thing I noticed last year and so far this year is SR defense seems to be a lot better in the 2nd half of games.

0 for 1 son.....0 for 1.

All I hear is crickets..... chirp chirp chirp!

Sorry River fans I was watching the state champs win easy at Fleming. Good win tonight against JF. You guys are just playing for second. Pioneer's looking focused. 27 points given up?? Rumor has it that you looked good but have no depth...that will not work against us.

The 3 headed monster at SR had 400 + yards on the ground and threw for a touchdown. SR has 3 great backs but it is just a matter of time before they wear out due to depth. The o line also starts on D line???You just can not win championships killing kids going both ways. I heard they are on majority of the special teams....good luck with that.

The 3 headed monster at SR had 400 + yards on the ground and threw for a touchdown. SR has 3 great backs but it is just a matter of time before they wear out due to depth. The o line also starts on D line???You just can not win championships killing kids going both ways. I heard they are on majority of the special teams....good luck with that.

Doesn't Davis play both ways? Special teams too? Yall have several players that play both ways! Your comment of not winning championships playing kids both ways shows your knowledge of the game. Let's list some notable teams that have done so... blacksburg, most of the line played both ways aswell as Beck. Appomatox plays alot of kids both ways. Altavista did. Amherst did. EVERYONE does.... COME ON MANNNN. And bragging about beating fleming is like beating the little giants. Extremely young team and only returning a few starters. Yall go into appomatox in 2 weeks and come out with a W and we will make travel arrangements together to William&Mary because I want to sit right beside ya!!!!

I am talking about depth. This is football. People have a possibility to get hurt in this rough game. If 12-13 are playing the whole night in a close games it means there is no trust in the backups. Just saying it is a recipe for disaster

Sorry River fans I was watching the state champs win easy at Fleming. Good win tonight against JF. You guys are just playing for second. Pioneer's looking focused. 27 points given up?? Rumor has it that you looked good but have no depth...that will not work against us.

I just saw the run from 5 tj tester of SR yesterday..nice run! I must admit SR's three headed monster is legit. Overstreet gets a lot of the glory but Tester and Jones are really special runners. Tester is fast and shifty. He is a really good athlete as seen in the video. He rushed for about 1000 yards last year. The mystery to me is the Jones kid who rushed for about 1600-1700 yards last year and one of our players told me he was a top 7 finalist for Titan trophy. I've never seen Jones do any interviews on any pre-season shows on local news (i've seen tester and Overstreet) which kind of speaks for itself as being underappreciated(especially with those kind of #s). I don't know what kind of kid he is but as a former head coach, the coaching staff is doing this kid a injustice by not getting him in front of a camera. If you think colleges are not watching local news, your wrong...just another opinion so chucksteel72 and srhs don't chime in. I still think depth is a issue and will not be able to beat teams with more depth in playoffs. The road to state still comes through Lynchburg. Northside is going to be our statement game next week. Fun fact Davis 11 carries for 200 yards.

Reactions: Hive29
Chucksteel72 the comedian... obviously not a football guy. I know you have been teary eyed ever since I did not put your guy on a pedestal. Relax if you guys make it to the championship (not going to happen) but if it happens we will embarrass you guys again...I was trying to give u guys a little praise earlier....fun fact smacked your ones 33-7 in one half of football.

I just saw the run from 5 tj tester of SR yesterday..nice run! I must admit SR's three headed monster is legit. Overstreet gets a lot of the glory but Tester and Jones are really special runners. Tester is fast and shifty. He is a really good athlete as seen in the video. He rushed for about 1000 yards last year. The mystery to me is the Jones kid who rushed for about 1600-1700 yards last year and one of our players told me he was a top 7 finalist for Titan trophy. I've never seen Jones do any interviews on any pre-season shows on local news (i've seen tester and Overstreet) which kind of speaks for itself as being underappreciated(especially with those kind of #s). I don't know what kind of kid he is but as a former head coach, the coaching staff is doing this kid a injustice by not getting him in front of a camera. If you think colleges are not watching local news, your wrong...just another opinion so chucksteel72 and srhs don't chime in. I still think depth is a issue and will not be able to beat teams with more depth in playoffs. The road to state still comes through Lynchburg. Northside is going to be our statement game next week. Fun fact Davis 11 carries for 200 yards.
Is it just me or for the second straight week the transfer from Northside looked more polished and the offense picks up when he enters the game. Those scoring drives came QUICK! As this season goes along its going to be interesting how the coach handles this situation. What a great situation to have though.
I

Reactions: MaroonandGold29
Chucksteel72 the comedian... obviously not a football guy. I know you have been teary eyed ever since I did not put your guy on a pedestal. Relax if you guys make it to the championship (not going to happen) but if it happens we will embarrass you guys again...I was trying to give u guys a little praise earlier....fun fact smacked your ones 33-7 in one half of football.
Here's a fun fact for you pioneer : I've forgotten more about football, than you've ever known about football . But you keep hanging with me and im convinced I will improve your football IQ at least a few points lol.

Last edited:
Hive29 if we had Blake last year, we would be back to back state champions. Heritage is so good at every position. Northside is going to find out next week. Appomattox game is going to open eyes and let people know we are for real. Calling it now Appomattox win streak will be over roughly 900-930 pm Sept 8th

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT