ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship, Riverheads vs Radford. Who you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catchtds

VaPreps Varsity
Gold Member
May 11, 2009
If the defense that Radford had Saturday shows up, they win 35-14 or something similar. Riverheads won’t be intimidated, should be a good ballgame. I got the Cats period though!

It should be an interesting game. I need to see more film of Radford but they should have a definitive speed advantage. The QB is a generational talent and they have WR’s that can make plays. Seems an insurmountable mountain to climb. Hopefully the Gladiators are able to move the ball and keep it close.

It should be an interesting game. I need to see more film of Radford but they should have a definitive speed advantage. The QB is a generational talent and they have WR’s that can make plays. Seems an insurmountable mountain to climb. Hopefully the Gladiators are able to move the ball and keep it close.
Highlights of every Radford game are on YouTube. Channel name is Doug Kanipe.

In one regard it will be a case of deja vu all over again. No, I don't mean that these two have a long history with one another. However I did check and they have played twice, with Riverheads winning both, 20-13 in 2005 and 24-3 the following year. I am pretty sure that the first one was at Riverheads but don't quote me on that. The Gladiators went on to win their second state title in 2006.

What I am referring to with my deja vu comment is how much this game will resemble the 2010 match-up between Riverheads and Eastern Montgomery, because there are some interesting similarities....

Riverheads lost its opening game of the season on the road by one point. (32-31 at Stuarts Draft.)

The Gladiators went unbeaten the rest of the way.

The finale (in Salem of course) matched the once-beaten Gladiators against an unbeaten team.

The other team was a pass-oriented team with a strong quarterback who already had his college career mapped out.

Riverheads on the other hand was a run-dominated team that seldom passed.

So that year, the game came down simply to the fact that neither one could stop the other, and that will likely be the determining factor again this year. Whoever can stop the other's strength will win the game. It won't have to be a complete defensive shutdown........just enough to make a difference in the game.

In that game, Riverheads did stop EM at two crucial points in the game, including the last play of the first half. That enabled them to get a working margin and hold on to win the game. So on Saturday the team that can get that key defensive stop or two and allow its offense to take control will come out on top.

In one regard it will be a case of deja vu all over again. No, I don't mean that these two have a long history with one another. However I did check and they have played twice, with Riverheads winning both, 20-13 in 2005 and 24-3 the following year. I am pretty sure that the first one was at Riverheads but don't quote me on that. The Gladiators went on to win their second state title in 2006.

What I am referring to with my deja vu comment is how much this game will resemble the 2010 match-up between Riverheads and Eastern Montgomery, because there are some interesting similarities....

Riverheads lost its opening game of the season on the road by one point. (32-31 at Stuarts Draft.)

The finale (in Salem of course) matched the once-beaten Gladiators against an unbeaten team.

The other team was a pass-oriented team with a strong quarterback who already had his college career mapped out.

So that year, the game came down simply to the fact that neither one could stop the other, and that will likely be the determining factor again this year. Whoever can stop the other's strength will win the game. It won't have to be a complete defensive shutdown........just enough to make a difference in the game.

In that game, Riverheads did stop EM at two crucial points in the game, including the last play of the first half. That enabled them to get a working margin and hold on to win the game. So on Saturday the team that can get that key defensive stop or two and allow its offense to take control will come out on top.
I've been thinking the same thing and remember that game well. Riverheads by a TD for the same reasons you gave..

Comparing Radford to EM is hilarious! Riverheads is favored but this is a different animal. They may still win, but just not a rideable animal.

comedy falling GIF by mtv

Since I have not seen Radford play I cannot speculate on how they compare to that EM team. I was just pointing out the similarities to the two situations.

I believe in order to contain Riverheads running game you have to get good push and penetration on the line. I dont see Radford matching up with their big boys up front but would like to see them win it.

Not sure why the Radford/EM comparison can’t be used, EM beat radford that year 50-21 and both were in the Three Rivers District at that time and played somewhat comparable schedules. Radford ended up in the state semis that year I believe. The Glenvar game from a few weeks ago is what stands out to me; I don’t think you can compare Glenvar to RH. I’ll take RH by 2 tds.

Reactions: MarlburlMan
It’s hard to pick against Riverheads and they very well could win the game. However the secret is no longer a secret anymore; Radford’s defense is really good. If RH continues their offensive success, they will have truly earned. What the Gladiators bring to the game is an incredible team that will take a monumental effort for Radford to stop.

CCC, it will come down to which coaching staff makes the adjustments at halftime, going to be a dog fight, may the best dog win

Not sure why the Radford/EM comparison can’t be used, EM beat radford that year 50-21 and both were in the Three Rivers District at that time and played somewhat comparable schedules. Radford ended up in the state semis that year I believe. The Glenvar game from a few weeks ago is what stands out to me; I don’t think you can compare Glenvar to RH. I’ll take RH by 2 tds.
The similarities sure. The game no. 13 years is a long time.

Riverheads have that deep down confidence and familiarity that they are going to win at Salem Stadium. That's the X factor that can't be overrstated.

Look for Riverheads to get stronger as the game goes on with the run game and grind it out 3-5 yards at a time for 4 TDS. This game looks much like like Eastmont Vs. Riverheads back in 2010 with eerily similar match ups and styles. Few people gave Riverheads a chance because Eastmont looked unbeatable on offense like RAdford does today. That one went EM 49-Riverheads 63. The Eastmont offense was better than Radford now but their defense was horrific. So, the unknown and the difference in the game one way or the other will come down to which Radford defense shows up.

History repeats itself and Riverheads gets one more stop than Radford....28-21

Last edited:
If the defense that Radford had Saturday shows up, they win 35-14 or something similar. Riverheads won’t be intimidated, should be a good ballgame. I got the Cats period though!
One thing for sure Riverheads will show up and tell your guys to get ready for a real slobber knocker

How good is this Riverheads team compared to others...............Young team or Seniors......This is a very good Radford team.......but this is Riverheads.......The Red Machine...........maybe Game Of The Year.......Let's Hope & Enjoy!

" Young team or seniors" Riverheads has a well balanced group young men from freshman to seniors . The first team being the better players but not always . They compete for a starting job . It's not rebuild it's reload .

I’ll take the all world QB over the all world RB but I’m not sure Radford can match Riverheads in terms of not making mistakes and sticking to the plan.

I’m rooting for Radford, picked Cats to win it all, but I think they’re the underdogs. LOS play wins in these games and while Radford did a fantastic job against Graham, Riverheads a diff animal.

Riverheads have that deep down confidence and familiarity that they are going to win at Salem Stadium. That's the X factor that can't be overrstated.

Look for Riverheads to get stronger as the game goes on with the run game and grind it out 3-5 yards at a time for 4 TDS. This game looks much like like Eastmont Vs. Riverheads back in 2010 with eerily similar match ups and styles. Few people gave Riverheads a chance because Eastmont looked unbeatable on offense like RAdford does today. That one went EM 49-Riverheads 63. The Eastmont offense was better than Radford now but their defense was horrific. So, the unknown and the difference in the game one way or the other will come down to which Radford defense shows up.

History repeats itself and Riverheads gets one more stop than Radford....28-21
The Eastmont offense was better than Radford ....
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Reactions: catchtds
It might seem laughable because it's been 13 years, but that East Mont offense was just as good as Radford's. Shawn Christian was an absolute beast for them and was very similar to Clark of Radford. Thing was they didn't have a defense. I look for the game on Saturday to be more along the lines of a 21-17 type of game

This is the comparison a group of us were making the other day. Clark and Christian are so similar. Not just on offense, but defensively as well. I think there's a lot of folks in this thread that assume the EM of today is comparable to the EM of 2010 and forget just how good that team was.

It might seem laughable because it's been 13 years, but that East Mont offense was just as good as Radford's. Shawn Christian was an absolute beast for them and was very similar to Clark of Radford. Thing was they didn't have a defense. I look for the game on Saturday to be more along the lines of a 21-17 type of game
I watched that team play and am pretty well aware of what they accomplished in 2010. The film of the Riverheads and EM state game is on youtube. I don't think it is a fair comparison to the teams that are lining up Saturday. The 2023 versions are different animals. (Honestly, no disrespect to 2010 Eastmont) but 2010 was an aberration. They had never had success before that season and have never really had success since then. They took that opportunity to payback years of beating by playing their starters 4 quarters against the perennial powers. I don't blame them but they definitely smelled blood that season. Christian was a stud and his receivers made big plays. Competition ebbs and and flows and I dont think the 1A version that years team is on the level of 2A this year.

I’m spying Clark with CCC if I was Riverheads. That would be a fun 1 on 1 to watch.
And Vice - Versa. I would spy CCC with Clark. I know he's a defensive back, but I would play man - coverage on Riverheads and just put Clark in there to tackle CCC every time he got the ball (even when he didn't have the ball, make his presence known).

I think quite a few people don’t realize how much Landon does. Last week alone his state was 2 passing touchdowns 1 rushing touchdown and on defense 2 interceptions and 17 tackles. He also had two punts that really flipped the field position. Graham really got hurt by poor punts.

I think quite a few people don’t realize how much Landon does. Last week alone his state was 2 passing touchdowns 1 rushing touchdown and on defense 2 interceptions and 17 tackles. He also had two punts that really flipped the field position. Graham really got hurt by poor punts.
Reminds me of when Ahmad Bradshaw played for Graham. They called him "Ahmad the Squad". He ran the ball, played receiver, punted, returned punts, kickoffs, coverage on special teams, played LB on defense and came in at QB and ran the wildcat some.

Reminds me of when Ahmad Bradshaw played for Graham. They called him "Ahmad the Squad". He ran the ball, played receiver, punted, returned punts, kickoffs, coverage on special teams, played LB on defense and came in at QB and ran the wildcat some.
I remember Bradshaw doing a little bit of everything vs a very good Pulaski in a scrimmage. I was always a fan of his.

Reactions: 19GHS87
That kid was all over the place in the game. His name was called out more than anyone I believe. He’s valuable as much on defense as offense in my opinion.

You’re right, our normally really good punter had a couple terrible punts, one for negative yardage which lead to a TD. In the end, we have to remember these are kids and kids sometimes have off games.

Reactions: toughy299
And Vice - Versa. I would spy CCC with Clark. I know he's a defensive back, but I would play man - coverage on Riverheads and just put Clark in there to tackle CCC every time he got the ball (even when he didn't have the ball, make his presence known).
You play man you are going to end up being out flanked, you will have defenders following the fakes and the ball will be coming to their side.

I don't think it's the deception of Riverheads that beats you. I think it's the great blocking and confusion of the "scrum" that beats you. It just seems to demoralize teams as a game advances. They can't fathom how such simplicity continues to get 4-5 yards and eventually they give up and start allowing the "home run". The film shows almost every RH game starting with a 6-7 minute drive that looks like it could have been stopped multiple times but manages to keep going. Then you have the next 10 minutes of the game go on at a similar back and forth pace and RH goes up at halftime by 7-14 points. Then the second half starts with a long drive and the other team taps out. The final score ends up 45-14 and no known really knows what happened. They just know they got blocked to death and stopped by a scrappy defense.

Edit*** Riverheads is an incredible football team. The simplicity of their offense takes nothing away from how great their young men have been playing for the past 10-15 years. Just an absolute dominate program.

Well when CCC doesn't have the ball he will either be lead blocking or down blocking, not sure why you would tackle him. When he does have the ball you will have to defeat blocks to tackle him. I'm not sure a lot of you guys understand the double wing offense. Riverheads is not trying to deceive you with misdirection. Everybody know what's coming and where it is coming. You have to line up and stop them from getting 4 yards... PERIOD. And you have to do it over and over again for 4 quarters. It will be a tall order for any defense.

Reactions: TS69
I don't think it's the deception of Riverheads that beats you. I think it's the great blocking and confusion of the "scrum" that beats you. It just seems to demoralize teams as a game advances. They can't fathom how such simplicity continues to get 4-5 yards and eventually they give up and start allowing the "home run". The film shows almost every RH game starting with a 6-7 minute drive that looks like it could have been stopped multiple times but manages to keep going. Then you have the next 10 minutes of the game go on at a similar back and forth pace and RH goes up at halftime by 7-14 points. Then the second have starts with a long drive and the other team taps out. The final score ends up 45-14 and no known really knows what happened. They just know they got blocked to death and stopped by a scrappy defense.
Every High School defense comes out hype and ready to go on their first drive vs double wing. When it's a good team, most of the time the defense's tune has changed by the 3rd quarter...

Giles is different obviously, but similar in ways. Radford players have grown up scouting Giles and the confusion their offense can cause. The big issue with Giles is they have not had the line in recent years, but when they have in the past, it is hard to stop. Radford can line up and play on the line of scrimmage. May wear them down throughout the game as mentioned over and over on these threads. Radford cannot struggle on offense if they want to win.

Alright. I’ve watched film. Give me Radford. Riverheads will not be able to stop the QB. Their best hope is to drain the clock and score every time, which they have the capability to do. But don’t think they will. Radford by 10.

Riverheads is not as much trying to deceive you. It is organized mass caos at the point of attack. Plain and simple and it just works. By the time you defeat the blocks and get through all the bodies it’s 3 to 4 yards down the field at least. until someone is physical enough to distrupt the caos it wears you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT