ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship, Riverheads vs Radford. Who you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about them Cats. Congrats to Riverheads on a great season.

Real talk...Region Aand B must have been down this year making RH look dominate. I highly doubt RH could beat Glenvar Union, Graham, appomattox, etc. Matter of fact, not a chance
Riverheads will not win in D2 as long as they run that old time offense and stay one dimensional.

Bobcats!!
How long has it been since one of those won it all from that region?

Landen Clark is the best player in 2A and Charlie Davis is the best defender. I knew it 6 weeks ago but no one wanted to hear that take. Riverheads would be the 4/5 best team in C or D. Where is sixcat at?

Reactions: catchtds
How many other teams have Clark? That was the difference period. He is as advertised but you are high if you think that Riverheads would be 4-5.
Graham and Union for sure and maybe Appo or Glenvar. We could have scored 60 today and the Graham game was a coin toss. Color me not that impressed. I’ve had enough of watching bellies flop on downed defenders to last a lifetime.

CCC is a stud as good as advertised on offense. Not on defense.

Was totally let down after hearing the hype of RH. When you spread their D out, it really shows the lack of athletes they have. Clark was playing pitch and catch for 90% of the game. After watching Radford, Union, Graham, and RH play live, It would be an upset if RH would beat Union & Graham.

Reactions: MarlburlMan

Real talk...Region Aand B must have been down this year making RH look dominate. I highly doubt RH could beat Glenvar Union, Graham, appomattox, etc. Matter of fact, not a chance
Riverheads will not win in D2 as long as they run that old time offense and stay one dimensional.

Bobcats!!
I totally disagree with your assessment that Region A/B must have been down this year. Football, more so than any other sport, is about match-ups, schemes and situations. In this game, it appears that what/who Radford had on the field was not a favorable matchup for Riverheads. That’s not to say that RH would not have had a better matchup with Graham/Glenvar/Union/etc. Might not have but we will never know. Who knows, Central Woodstock, Strasburg, King William or Poqusoun(sp) may have fared better because of scheme/personnel/situation. The transitive theory doesn’t hold water on the gridiron.

However, It looks like Radford was a bad matchup for everybody this year! Congratulations to the Bobcats.

Last edited:
I’m a bit fired up. Few on this board picked the Bobcats. Few on SWVA picked the Bobcats. I heard the snickering. I know our regular season wasn’t hard. People trashed our coach all year. How many times have you heard people talk about Charlie Davis and our defense for that matter?

Also, after seeing RH in person for the first time you guys clearly belong in 2A. Why would you ever want the cake walk in 1A. The choice really is yours. It’s easy to be gracious when you control the narrative. And in case I haven’t pissed enough people off yet, A and B really don’t have depth in 2A football right now.

Last edited:
To Radfords credit in the past they have been able to drop to 1A and stayed in 2A. Again great season by both teams but Clark was just playing catch in the back yard today. He made it look easy. Some of those receivers are still open. Just a dominating performance offensively. The line was giving him all the time in the world for the most part.

Radford took a very, very good defense look bad. They scored 39 points and had the ball all of what 10 minutes lol

I’m a bit fired up. Few on this board picked the Bobcats. Few on SWVA picked the Bobcats. I heard the snickering. I know our regular season wasn’t hard. People trashed our coach all year. How many times have you heard people talk about Charlie Davis and our defense for that matter?

Also, after seeing RH in person for the first time you guys clearly belong in 2A. Why would you ever want the cake walk in 2A. The choice really is yours. It’s easy to be gracious when you control the narrative. And in case I haven’t pissed enough people off yet, A and B really don’t have depth in 2A football right now.
Your last sentence is off base. Just because RH wasn’t up to snuff today doesn’t mean that the rest of A/B would not have fared better.

Reactions: obguthr
Riverheads should hold their heads high, to make a state title game in year one back in 2A is a huge accomplishment and they have plenty of hardware. They’ll be back.

But Radford was a nightmare matchup for them. If they played ten times, Radford winning eight or more. Riverheads just didn’t have the athleticism to match up with Clark and the WRs and their run game wasn’t powerful enough to totally overpower a very, very good Radford run defense.

1 thing not being a bad sport but I'll say this. Lot of folks from Riverheads were comparing us to East Mont from years back.

Landen Clark is on 10 different levels than what East Monts Qb was.
Exactly....many of us were good and content until the comparison.

Reactions: toughy299
Riverheads should hold their heads high, to make a state title game in year one back in 2A is a huge accomplishment and they have plenty of hardware. They’ll be back.

But Radford was a nightmare matchup for them. If they played ten times, Radford winning eight or more. Riverheads just didn’t have the athleticism to match up with Clark and the WRs and their run game wasn’t powerful enough to totally overpower a very, very good Radford run defense.
I don’t see them being back. CCC is graduating and he’s the only name I heard doing anything today. This isn’t the Riverheads of 5 years ago. Graham would have beaten them. Glenvar and Appomattox could have easily matched up on them. This move up will definitely show the difference with the caliber of athletic players they will play on a weekly basis. This season shows the weakness of Region A and B. That’s what this shows.

Bobcats!!
Let's not get all yippy because you won,it's so easy to yip then.

I don’t see them being back. CCC is graduating and he’s the only name I heard doing anything today. This isn’t the Riverheads of 5 years ago. Graham would have beaten them. Glenvar and Appomattox could have easily matched up on them. This move up will definitely show the difference with the caliber of athletic players they will play on a weekly basis. This season shows the weakness of Region A and B. That’s what this shows.
I can’t agree with that, their program has been so good before CCC, I’d be shocked if they weren’t in the mix about every year. Radford was exceptionally good, that doesn’t make Riverheads bad.

I can’t agree with that, their program has been so good before CCC, I’d be shocked if they weren’t in the mix about every year. Radford was exceptionally good, that doesn’t make Riverheads bad.
Didn’t say they were bad. I would like to see how they would matched up with Alleghany who apparently a lot of people are sleeping on. Radford has beaten Galax and George Wythe more often than not lately and this is the caliber of team Riverheads was playing for the state championship. Nothing against GW or Galax

Was totally let down after hearing the hype of RH. When you spread their D out, it really shows the lack of athletes they have. Clark was playing pitch and catch for 90% of the game. After watching Radford, Union, Graham, and RH play live, It would be an upset if RH would beat Union & Graham.
You are correct they lack athletes. They are a true 1A team and will be back to 1A in 2025. What all the idiots in SW Va don't realize is RH only has a total of 100 at most boys to choose from 10-12 grade to make up sports team for all sports and still compete at a very high level. Today they played a much more athletic team with 100's of more boys ro choose from they are the largest 2A and will be 3A next cycle. So be unimpressed all you want it was a tight game until the 4th quarter when RH gassed and the penalty count was 14-1 as well. So congrats to Radford today they were the better team today but put RH back against any 1A school where they truly belong and it is a cakewalk. Put Radford against LCA and it is 65-0. All the southwest VA basement dwellers can celebrate the RH loss cause it doesn't happen often and all of us from Greenville tip our hats to Radford and are men enough to say you were the better team and exposed our weakness and that weakness is the number of athletes we can put out on a field.

You are correct they lack athletes. They are a true 1A team and will be back to 1A in 2025. What all the idiots in SW Va don't realize is RH only has a total of 100 at most boys to choose from 10-12 grade to make up sports team for all sports and still compete at a very high level. Today they played a much more athletic team with 100's of more boys ro choose from they are the largest 2A and will be 3A next cycle. So be unimpressed all you want it was a tight game until the 4th quarter when RH gassed and the penalty count was 14-1 as well. So congrats to Radford today they were the better team today but put RH back against any 1A school where they truly belong and it is a cakewalk. Put Radford against LCA and it is 65-0. All the southwest VA basement dwellers can celebrate the RH loss cause it doesn't happen often and all of us from Greenville tip our hats to Radford and are men enough to say you were the better team and exposed our weakness and that weakness is the number of athletes we can put out on a field.
Ohh got personal. This should get interesting

3a?? lol. Radford is barely 2a. I graduated in a class of 93, boys and girls. Radford is a college town.

Irony....

3a?? lol. Radford is barely 2a. I graduated in a class of 93, boys and girls. Radford is a college town.
Weird a simple google search for number of kids in Radford Va high school comes 829 students where as Riverheads comes back 477 students. Then another simple google search shows 829 classifies as 3A but when the realigned the Radford was 4 students short of 3A at the time. Might be a college town but they are a HUGE 2A school and with that comes more athletes. Also weird that the podcast from Radford this morning talked about how #7 was form Glenvar and 2 others were from Christiansburg and 1 from Blacksburg all within the last 2 years. So that also makes it easier to have more athletes when you pull from other schools. Also on a different note no one cares how many people were in your graduating class that is irrelevant to anything unless it is in 2024-2028. My graduating class was 678 and had 2700 kids in the school it now has 315 and 1800 in the school.

I guess, by your way of thinking, Region D was weak as well since they didn’t even make the finals?!? I guess every Region is “weak” if they don’t win it all? Maybe just enjoy the ‘ship without ragging on half the state that you probably never saw play a down? Geez…

I said and felt all along that teams like Riverheads/Clarke will struggle to win a title with those offenses. It’s too hard for them to make up ground when they get behind the chains. They are awesome as front runners but it is MUCH more difficult to be the front runner in every game in 2A leading up to the finals. I sincerely think that Central Woodstock or KW or Strasburg or Poqosoun would have matched up better with Radford. Might have been the same outcome, but IMHO, those offenses are much better able to move in chunks when absolutely needed; it’s hard to ground and pound when trailing.

Weird a simple google search for number of kids in Radford Va high school comes 829 students where as Riverheads comes back 477 students. Then another simple google search shows 829 classifies as 3A but when the realigned the Radford was 4 students short of 3A at the time. Might be a college town but they are a HUGE 2A school and with that comes more athletes. Also weird that the podcast from Radford this morning talked about how #7 was form Glenvar and 2 others were from Christiansburg and 1 from Blacksburg all within the last 2 years. So that also makes it easier to have more athletes when you pull from other schools. Also on a different note no one cares how many people were in your graduating class that is irrelevant to anything unless it is in 2024-2028. My graduating class was 678 and had 2700 kids in the school it now has 315 and 1800 in the school.
Trust me. Radford doesn’t have that many students. Radford High School in Radford, Virginia (VA) - City-Data.com https://www.city-data.com/school/radford-high-school-va.html

Well.....there's a lot to unpack here.

1). "RH has about 100 boys to pick from" - ADM numbers have them at 357 kids. You are trying to tell me that the gender makeup at RH is ~30% male and ~70% female!? Yeah.....not buying that.

2). "Today they had to play a school with 100s of boys to pick from" - I can agree that Radford is the outlier as the largest school in 2A. About ~45% larger. But, there has to be a school with the largest and smallest population in each classification. So....when/if RH drops down to 1A are you going to hold the same energy when they are the largest school in the classification? The difference in 2A from the largest to smallest school (Radford > RH) is ~45% and the difference in 1A from the largest to smallest school (Buffalo Gap > Council, excluding Highland) is 134%!!! There seems to be a huge discrepancy in 1A. Also, I would heavily favor Graham over RH and the difference in school enrollment is negligible (<10%).

3). "The game was tight until the 4th quarter" - Yes, the score was close, but anyone with the IQ above a potato could see how easy it was for Radford to score and how difficult it was for RH to score. Clark was literally playing pitch and catch. Everything was wide open. The fact that the game was "close" was due to RH eating up the clock. Smart move on their part, their coaching staff knew they had absolutely no chance to stop that offense. I also think you mentioned penalties, but I won't address that. I saw it exactly opposite, I saw numerous holding penalties that were not called on RH. RH seemed to have lost their cool today, understandably so, they were mauled.

4). "Put Radford against LCA and they lose 65-0" - LOLLOLOLOLOLOL! This has to be satire. You are going to refer to LCA as if they are some standard 3A program. Grow up.

5). "SWVA basement dweller" - I live in NOVA, but that is pretty funny.

All in all, RH was blasted today. No way around it. You guys have dished out your fair share of butt whoopings, today, you were on the other end. All I ask is for you to keep the same energy in reference to school enrollment when/if RH drops back down to 1A and hammers those teams.

I’m a Region B fan but a Riverheads poster complaining about the enrollment of another school is pretty fricking hilarious!

Irony... like you finally leaving your moms basement just to find her with me.
Oh my......you don't lose well do you. Now you know how all those single A schools felt when you were manipulating the enrollment numbers all those years. You have a good program. You have no business playing single A though. Welcome to 2A. Suck it up instead of crying like a little biatch.

We? What position do you play clown?
Yea, you'd think by reading some of these posts that Riverheads can't beat anyone at 2A. I even saw someone say they're a 5-5 team without CCC. Laughable takes. And it is obvious at least a handful of these people who came out the woodwork today have been waiting years to attack Riverheads. That ship sailed...if not in the past then definitely after they played for a 2A title.

Where would fans rank this years Bobcat team against Bobcat teams of the past? Not based on today's game but across the span of the season. For Riverheads I'm not sure this is even top 3 best teams they've had in the last 10 years.

So congratulations to Radford. And congratulations to Riverheads for proving everyone wrong and showing they're a legit 2A contender... most of us already knew that and some will never see it regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT