2a title game ridgeview over thomas jefferson
2a sleeper appomattox
2a dark horse central wise

1a title game riverheads over galax
1a sleeper chilhowie
1a dark horse washington and lee

let me know what you think

Reactions: Shruikan
One thought here is that at least the last four years the favorite or even favorites did not win the state. That being said Glass, Louisa and either Broad Run or Tuscarora all look the part but there are other teams that are capable if they execute.

You could be right but Woodside looked horrible the other night against Phoebus. They won’t beat Salem or Maury.

Reactions: mbonape1
Coming out of region 5A will be Maury or Salem. I see Maury most likely winning that matchup between the two mainly because they are more balanced of a team. Salem got a good defense and run game and Woodside the lesser version of salem but question for the both of them will be what happens when the run game is shut down do they have the pass game to open it back up

Last edited:
Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I guess in the context of the original post, a "sleeper" is considered slightly more likely to win than a "dark horse"? My opinions:
~Highland Springs and Riverheads could both be considered strong, if not prohibitive favorites in their respective classifications; any discussion of dark horses or sleepers for Classes 5 and 1 is probably moot.
~I can't see that Sherando has done anything to qualify themselves as a sleeper or a dark horse. For Class 4, I'd say Monacan as the sleeper, and Eastern View, Tuscarora or LT as dark horses. I might pick Broad Run over Glass to make it to (and win) the final, but both are good guesses, for now.
~I think Heritage will make it to the Class 3 title game, and might repeat. I'm not a believer in LB.
~I'd have to mention both Union and Graham somewhere in the Class 2 discussion, either as sleepers, dark horses, what have you.

Coming out of region 5A will be Maury or Salem. I see Maury most likely winning that matchup between the two mainly because they are more balanced of a team. Salem got a good defense and run game and Woodside the lesser version of salem but question for the both of them will be what happens when the run game is shut down do they have the passing game to open it back up

Salem traditionally has had a poor passing game, but they've improved significantly in that area. A dual-threat QB with that great running back could make the difference this year.

C6 title game Freedom over Westfield
C6 sleeper TC Williams
C6 dark horse Massaponax

C5 title game Varina over Stone Bridge
C5 sleeper Maury
C5 dark horse Salem

C4 title game Louisa over Broad Run
C4 sleeper Salem (if healthy), otherwise Tuscarora
C4 dark horse Monacan

C3 title game Hopewell over Heritage
C3 sleeper Lafayette
C3 dark horse York

I'm not familiar with C1 and C2 teams this year.

Last edited:
C6 title game Freedom over Oscar Smith
C6 sleeper TC Williams
C6 dark horse Massaponax

C5 sleeper Maury
C5 dark horse Salem

C4 dark horse Monacan

C3 sleeper Lafayette
C3 dark horse York

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!! I like it!

Give me Louisa and Glass in the state championship. I give Louisa the win because they’ve been there before.

My 3A dark horse is the Magna Vista Warriors

2A Thomas Jefferson over Graham (Go RPS!!)
2A Sleeper Buckingham/Radford/Gretna
2A dark horse Chatham Cavs baby!!!!

1A Galax over Riverheads
1A sleeper Essex
1A dark horse William Campbell

C6 title game Freedom over Oscar Smith
C6 sleeper TC Williams
C6 dark horse Massaponax

C5 sleeper Maury
C5 dark horse Salem

C4 dark horse Monacan

C3 sleeper Lafayette
C3 dark horse York

Freedom and Smith are both in the South (along with Forge, another possibility in the South) so your prediction cannot happen. The North will be either Westfield, South County, or possibly Lake Braddock (if a lot of things go their way).

Interesting choices in D5, but if Highland Springs is not in the final game it is because they beat themselves somehow. That team is just too dominant. Stone Bridge has just about zero competition to come out of the North; the South has far more contenders.

Reactions: LionNation540
C6 title game Freedom over Westfield
C6 sleeper TC Williams
C6 dark horse Massaponax

C5 sleeper Maury
C5 dark horse Salem

C4 dark horse Monacan

C3 sleeper Lafayette
C3 dark horse York

Varina would have to beat Highland Springs and Manchester(in the region finals) in back to back weeks. THEN,they’d have to beat the 757 representative just to get to SB. I’m not sure that team has that kind of discipline or defense for that.

Back to back....HSHS(last game of the year)
Playoff first round(I’m thinking PG)
HSHS again
Probably Manchester
Maury/Salem
Stonebridge

Wow! That’s your prediction? That’s a tough road! Beating HSHS once is hard enough,but twice and that gauntlet?! I guess we’ll see! I don’t think Varina can outpoint Manchester or DRun even if they best HS next week. HSHS can’t be lower than a 3 seed if they beat CF tomorrow night

Reactions: Agibbs757
All these c5 predictions and biggest thing I noticed is the reason the Vhsl need to do a rotation between regions for state SFs because it's kind of crazy that region A and B go through literally the toughest competition in the state while C and D most cases easily get through and seem to not really be much of competition like give us a great final be the actual best

Reactions: Va434
Varina would have to beat Highland Springs and Manchester(in the region finals) in back to back weeks. THEN,they’d have to beat the 757 representative just to get to SB. I’m not sure that team has that kind of discipline or defense for that.

HSHS again
Probably Manchester
Maury/Salem
Stonebridge

Wow! That’s your prediction? That’s a tough road! Beating HSHS once is hard enough,but twice and that gauntlet?! I guess we’ll see! I don’t think Varina can outpoint Manchester or DRun even if they best HS next week. HSHS can’t be lower than a 3 seed if they beat CF tomorrow night
If Varina happens to beat HS next week then they won’t beat the Springers in a playoff rematch. Varina was better than Manchester week 1 but like you said it comes to discipline and that’s how Manchester beat them. If Varina happens to meet them again I like Varina by a few scores.

5a-5b literally gotta go thru hell to make it to states , 5c-5d literally has a easier road call me a liar lol, but like he said vhsl needs to rotate or something so the best teams play and ranked correctly thru 4 regions, those 804,757, teams would be ranked in the top 5

HSHS again
Probably Manchester
Maury/Salem
Stonebridge

I cannot imagine anyone beating Highland Springs twice in a season. Let's say Varina falls to Highland Springs next week, while the Blue Devils might be better prepared for a rematch in the playoffs, ol' Loren Johnson will have made his adjustments. I've said it once, I'll say it again and as a fan of the Springers, I know you know this... there is no one better at adjusting and preparation than Coach Johnson and his staff.

I cannot imagine anyone beating Highland Springs twice in a season. Let's say Varina falls to Highland Springs next week, while the Blue Devils might be better prepared for a rematch in the playoffs, ol' Loren Johnson will have made his adjustments. I've said it once, I'll say it again and as a fan of the Springers, I know you know this... there is no one better at adjusting and preparation than Coach Johnson and his staff.
I agree. My bet is Varina is the only team prepped to beat HS. They grew up playing together/knowing one another. Both team’s players are cut from the same cloth. I love Stu Brown but Coach J’s record and product speaks for itself. HS is the big brother, Varina is the little brother. Varina has a very good QB in Bobby Dunn and I think he’s going to be a difference maker. It will be close. UVA commit Lorenz Terry is a difference maker on D, James Reid and Isaiah Paige are difference makers on O. We already know HS is LOADED. With that being said...Let’s go Blue Devils!

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT