ADVERTISEMENT

Staunton River vs Blacksburg

Who wins

• Blacksburg

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Staunton River

Votes: 34 73.9%

• Total voters
VHSL events can no longer be held at LU do to them passing a concealed carry on their campus. This is why the 3A//4A was moved to Williamsburg

Games were moved away from UVA because of $$$ my understanding they wanted more

Its called a contract. Unless there is a clause in the contract allowing VHSL to void it at any time the site would have every right to claim a loss of income through a law suit. I am sure William and Mary and Hampton would even have to amend their own schedules had they made the playoffs by playing on Friday night. Plus there may be a substantial deposit required. What you are suggesting is a poor business model. If they did that no college in their right mind would bid on the contract only to be told sorry the two teams are not from your area. Would you give a rip if the game was in Salem and the two teams came from Hopewell and Phoebus?

I just thought of something. I remember Dinwiddie traveled to Virginia Tech one year to play Phoebus for the title. It was cold as a well diggers tail, but no one complained about playing there. Its the State Championship. You think Alabama cares if they play Clemson in California for the National Championship? By your method they would cancel the contract and play it in the orange bowl.

Let's start with
"Unless there is a clause in the contract allowing VHSL to void it at any time the site would have
every right to claim a loss of income through a law suit."

Multiple problems there.
First, there could be other clauses that would "block" a lawsuit.
Second, while anyone can CLAIM anything they want, proving it is another matter.
I doubt neither Salem nor W&M could prove a loss/lower attendence if Bb-SR and Rh-Sussex were switched.

"I am sure William and Mary and Hampton would even have to amend their own schedules had they made the playoffs by playing on Friday night. Plus there may be a substantial deposit required. "
Red herring - has nothing to do with the question.

"What you are suggesting is a poor business model."
Having Bb-SR played at Salem instead of W&M, and having Rh-Sussex played at W&M instead of Salem, reducing total travel time by hours, is a "poor business model"?
Eliminating hotel expenses for the teams and likely bringing in a higher gate is a poor business model? Where'd you go to school????

"If they did that no college in their right mind would bid on the contract only to be told sorry the two teams are not from your area."
Ummm... that's what we have NOW - two teams not from their area, at BOTH stadiums. Yet W&M bid on it. Weird, huh???

"You think Alabama cares if they play Clemson in California for the National Championship? By your method they would cancel the contract and play it in the orange bowl."
You're comparing (?Washington?) apples to Oranges. (couldn't resist). The NCAA doesn't HAVE two title games where a switch could occur.
But guess what? They DO have two semis, and, lo-and-behold, the #1 seed gets to play at... wait for it... the closest of the two stadiums!!!!

But HOW can they do that??? ALL the planning that goes into a national semi-final and they don't know who plays where until they've all played their last game????? HOW ?????

In 2006, a title game was moved from NN to NoVa after the semis were played.
In 2005, the 5/6A games were moved from Richmond to Tidewater on WEDNEESDAY.

=====

"check out vhsl web site under state event facility requirements. This may shed some light on the situation"
That says NOTHING about this. Unless you mean Salem Stadium's 7,157 is below the 7500 req'd for D3. But those aren't followed anyway - ask anyone who was at Galax or SD last Sat.

Let's try this again, with a modifier...
What's a VALID reason you think they can't?

I have never understood why any college would charge VHSL to host state championship games. Have these colleges ever heard of a thing called RECRUITING. ? It's an opportunity to get high school players on campus. Instead of charging VHSL, they should pay the VHSL to come to their campus.

What a bunch of horse hockey! There will be more guns around Hampton University than you'd ever find on the Liberty campus.

Same goes for VCU, during basketball season. I have been to Liberty before and not taken a gun. But when I go to Richmond, Hampton or any place "east", I carry my gun.

I have never understood why any college would charge VHSL to host state championship games. Have these colleges ever heard of a thing called RECRUITING. ? It's an opportunity to get high school players on campus. Instead of charging VHSL, they should pay the VHSL to come to their campus.
You're kidding right? If the schools are lucky there MIGHT be a couple of players that could be considered a recruit as an athlete. As far as recruiting students there are much more effective methods available. Depending upon facility staffing requirements and other on site requirements the schools should not be donating those services merely so the VHSL can make more off the event. Your opinion fails on multiple counts from both reasonableness and implementation standpoints.

No, I am not kidding. I am 100% serious. If I were a college coach, I would love for state championship games to be played on my field. Now granted VHSL loves $$$$$, but with some of the decisions they make, they actually lose money or not make as much as they would have if they had made a smarter decision.

Let's start with
"Unless there is a clause in the contract allowing VHSL to void it at any time the site would have
every right to claim a loss of income through a law suit."

Multiple problems there.
First, there could be other clauses that would "block" a lawsuit.
Second, while anyone can CLAIM anything they want, proving it is another matter.
I doubt neither Salem nor W&M could prove a loss/lower attendence if Bb-SR and Rh-Sussex were switched.

"I am sure William and Mary and Hampton would even have to amend their own schedules had they made the playoffs by playing on Friday night. Plus there may be a substantial deposit required. "
Red herring - has nothing to do with the question.

"What you are suggesting is a poor business model."
Having Bb-SR played at Salem instead of W&M, and having Rh-Sussex played at W&M instead of Salem, reducing total travel time by hours, is a "poor business model"?
Eliminating hotel expenses for the teams and likely bringing in a higher gate is a poor business model? Where'd you go to school????

"If they did that no college in their right mind would bid on the contract only to be told sorry the two teams are not from your area."
Ummm... that's what we have NOW - two teams not from their area, at BOTH stadiums. Yet W&M bid on it. Weird, huh???

"You think Alabama cares if they play Clemson in California for the National Championship? By your method they would cancel the contract and play it in the orange bowl."
You're comparing (?Washington?) apples to Oranges. (couldn't resist). The NCAA doesn't HAVE two title games where a switch could occur.
But guess what? They DO have two semis, and, lo-and-behold, the #1 seed gets to play at... wait for it... the closest of the two stadiums!!!!

But HOW can they do that??? ALL the planning that goes into a national semi-final and they don't know who plays where until they've all played their last game????? HOW ?????

In 2006, a title game was moved from NN to NoVa after the semis were played.
In 2005, the 5/6A games were moved from Richmond to Tidewater on WEDNEESDAY.

=====

"check out vhsl web site under state event facility requirements. This may shed some light on the situation"
That says NOTHING about this. Unless you mean Salem Stadium's 7,157 is below the 7500 req'd for D3. But those aren't followed anyway - ask anyone who was at Galax or SD last Sat.

Let's try this again, with a modifier...
What's a VALID reason you think they can't?

This isn't really worth arguing over, but I will oblige you. I guess the VHSL desires to honor their commitments. I was told by someone in the know that the VHSL wanted to move the finals and the local football district (Bay Rivers) played a role in convincing W&M to bid on the 3-4 final. The entire Bay Rivers District is 3a and 4a, so I guess it makes sense.

Let me ask you @VHSLhelper, if you signed a contract, ordered a prepaid $65,000 Mercedes and I delivered a 1975 Ford station wagon would you be okay with it? "That's not what I paid for, but its good enough"! I work in the justice system and have seen numerous breach of contract law suits. Most are extremely costly and drawn out. Where would the VHSL get the money to defend such suits?

Other than basketball, how come no one ever complains about the other sports. Example: Last year in 5a softball, two Richmond teams, Halifax and a beach team had to travel to Robinson High School in Northern Virginia for the semis and finals. They could have stopped right in Richmond and played. You know why they didn't? Because Robinson planned all year for this event to make it special for the kids (yes they do a great job) and its just not right.

The past two years (2014, 2015) three of us from Dinwiddie drove to Lynchburg to see the finals. If you are a fan you're a fan. Maybe the VHSL thought it was time to give the Tidewater teams/fans a break in travel for once. Even though I don't agree with it, I do like the idea of moving the 1a game to Williamsburg. Hell, Sussex County borders Dinwiddie and it would be nice to have some of their fans rooting for us.

Last edited:
VHSL has no common sense when it comes to selecting sites. Lynchburg is best venue in state. Charlottesville is 2nd best, but a long long way behind Lynchburg. I have never been to W&M, but I am 99% sure it isn't a good site for VHSL championship games, no matter who is playing I will find out Saturday when I go to St. River-Blacksburg game.

Liberty should be the safest venue, president Falwell can call his buddy Donald6 who knows more about Isis than the generals to make sure its safe.

This isn't really worth arguing over, but I will oblige you. I guess the VHSL desires to honor their commitments. I was told by someone in the know that the VHSL wanted to move the finals and the local football district (Bay Rivers) played a role in convincing W&M to bid on the 3-4 final. The entire Bay Rivers District is 3a and 4a, so I guess it makes sense.

Let me ask you @VHSLhelper, if you signed a contract, ordered a prepaid $65,000 Mercedes and I delivered a 1975 Ford station wagon would you be okay with it? "That's not what I paid for, but its good enough"! I work in the justice system and have seen numerous breach of contract law suits. Most are extremely costly and drawn out. Where would the VHSL get the money to defend such suits?

Other than basketball, how come no one ever complains about the other sports. Example: Last year in 5a softball, two Richmond teams, Halifax and a beach team had to travel to Robinson High School in Northern Virginia for the semis and finals. They could have stopped right in Richmond and played. You know why they didn't? Because Robinson planned all year for this event to make it special for the kids (yes they do a great job) and its just not right.

The past two years (2014, 2015) three of us from Dinwiddie drove to Lynchburg to see the finals. If you are a fan you're a fan. Maybe the VHSL thought it was time to give the Tidewater teams/fans a break in travel for once. Even though I don't agree with it, I do like the idea of moving the 1a game to Williamsburg. Hell, Sussex County borders Dinwiddie and it would be nice to have some of their fans rooting for us.

Critical question: does the '75 Ford station wagon have the simulated woodgrain trim? 'Coz that would determine whether or not I accept ownership.

My dad had a maroon one and hauled 16 football players in it to Botertourt for a scrimmage. I rember their fans saying run Tater run. Lol. It had wood trim, electric back window and a a fold out seat in the back.

Cant remember. I know we had to beat on the dash sometimes to get the radio to work. The drive shaft also came out on 81 north near Troutville. Can still here dad raising hell. We walked to the truck stop and ate buckwheat pancakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT