ADVERTISEMENT

Still looking for that elusive person who thinks the boards are better now

@AMHERST #1 Before the change to the current format, the most chatty discussions on these boards came from 2A and 1A folks mostly from the SWVA area. The SWVA board is very busy today. Most of the Salem folks from last year weren't posting over the last few weeks before the board change, mainly because of how Salem's season ended last year after saying how awesome they were, bringing in Devils a couple of Dinwiddie fans, and some of us fans who've always posted here into the fold. Same with Amherst fans, it's been just you and wikki for a long time now. The 5A and 6A boards, which of course consisted of mostly NoVA, Richmond, and Tidewater schools, were dead for years before this change, so it makes sense that those boards are still dead after. There hasn't been much Seminole and other Lynchburg- and Roanoke-area talk here for many years now. I don't think many folks realize how dead the site was overall before this change, and are now acting as if it's all of a sudden dead, just because they see a new format that was built to try to get more local talk going, that hasn't been here for years. How many rivalry game posts have you seen on Va. Preps over the last few years that weren't about SWVA or Valley teams?
This board has always had a lot of posters from what was the dogwood school in 1A and 2A not just from the southwest. I have hardly even seen most of these posters, and the ones I know say they hate the new format and have moved own.....a real shame. We had a lot of fun last year with a pickem on the 2A board and it kept us up on all the schools that we were competing against from all over the state. I haven't even seen gtownfencecrew on the board? Or maybe he's on the board for the valley....I'm so confused and starting to not care myself.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
I post on Piedmont for Lynchburg & Valley for Roanoke stuff. These are the only 2 boards I follow & I really only like 3/4a myself since the overwhelming majority of area teams fit in those classifications.
I used to post a lot but not as much now, don't care for it now

I used to post a lot but not as much now, don't care for it now
:(

You can still message me on Facebook, email me at mike24885@comcast.net, or text me at (540)309-5217, to keep me up to date. I know the board changes aren't popular right now, maybe they'll change it back after a while or change it to 3/4a West, 3/4a East, etc... which I would like to see. That's how I follow the boards- by classification (3/4a for me) and by area (Roanoke, Lynchburg, NRV, & Southside for me).

Last edited:
Only thing I can figure is there wanting to kill the boards . I find my self checking it less an less. Use to check it couple tines a day niw that's pointless because odds are the last post is from yesterday it's so d3ad

Reactions: OMHDC
They have to change the format or these boards are going to die out. Granted, I will still contribute and follow along regardless, but this is not user friendly for me at all. It takes me so much longer to find a thread of interest now, and I end up having to click all over the place and it is making things take much longer.. Not to mention since they changed the layout the first time, I am unable to post a thread from my cell phone.

Reactions: wikki
They have to change the format or these boards are going to die out. Granted, I will still contribute and follow along regardless, but this is not user friendly for me at all. It takes me so much longer to find a thread of interest now, and I end up having to click all over the place and it is making things take much longer.. Not to mention since they changed the layout the first time, I am unable to post a thread from my cell phone.

Boards are going to be divided up by class. I have changed the dropdown menu on the front page but am having technical difficulties with changing the thread names on the forum page and at the top of each board.

Boards are going to be divided up by class. I have changed the dropdown menu on the front page but am having technical difficulties with changing the thread names on the forum page and at the top of each board.
Allow me to translate your explaination.
These boards are now one huge cluster----, but instead of admitting that, I will continue to deny until there are no more followers.

Allow me to translate your explaination.
These boards are now one huge cluster----, but instead of admitting that, I will continue to deny until there are no more followers.
I used to post a lot but not anymore until changws

I think things might get back to the way it was if folks return to see things are reverting to the way they were.

This is a slippery slope. Obviously, VAPreps is looking at the stats of users access, frequency, etc. They work hard and are writing good stories. At the same time, the future has to be considered. Older users are probably their most frequent users. Change is difficult and needs to be dealt with.

I currently work at a local College in the IT Department. Not because I need to but because it's a two block walk and I'm bored. In this area, the customer base would prefer to give up hot water for a week than their cell phones and Social Media access. That's just today's culture. If we don't address and cater to that culture, we go the way of the Dodo. VAPreps has made their site mobile friendly, and social media appropriate because they know that if they don't, folks will go elsewhere and they cannot attract new business from a newer generation of users. As with anything, it's about the money. They need to cater to the young to do this.

Business decision here and I have to agree with it. I don't like it. Nobody wants to have their cheese moved. The content is there and VAPreps I working hard to provide it. New writers. More coverage. Contacts around the State for information you won't get anywhere else. There's just a learning curve and we'll have to deal with it. It will come.

This is a slippery slope. Obviously, VAPreps is looking at the stats of users access, frequency, etc. They work hard and are writing good stories. At the same time, the future has to be considered. Older users are probably their most frequent users. Change is difficult and needs to be dealt with.

I currently work at a local College in the IT Department. Not because I need to but because it's a two block walk and I'm bored. In this area, the customer base would prefer to give up hot water for a week than their cell phones and Social Media access. That's just today's culture. If we don't address and cater to that culture, we go the way of the Dodo. VAPreps has made their site mobile friendly, and social media appropriate because they know that if they don't, folks will go elsewhere and they cannot attract new business from a newer generation of users. As with anything, it's about the money. They need to cater to the young to do this.

Business decision here and I have to agree with it. I don't like it. Nobody wants to have their cheese moved. The content is there and VAPreps I working hard to provide it. New writers. More coverage. Contacts around the State for information you won't get anywhere else. There's just a learning curve and we'll have to deal with it. It will come.
Think everyone likes the social media changes an mobile friendly I have enjoyed it. Biggest problem I an most the last few weeks was the forum name change. Like I say think most people are more interested in the class there teams in than the area. Like peidmont has 1A to 4 valley had 1A to 5A

Think everyone likes the social media changes an mobile friendly I have enjoyed it. Biggest problem I an most the last few weeks was the forum name change. Like I say think most people are more interested in the class there teams in than the area. Like peidmont has 1A to 4 valley had 1A to 5A
I think the move to Social Media is correct but I would have recommended everything stay 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A. I have no numbers to support that. That's just what my gut tells me. I think it brings more overall interest among the Divisions who like to see what everyone of their potential competitors is doing. I'm just as interested in Sherando as Salem, as Dinwiddie as LT. I don't like jumping around to different boards to hear commentary or updates. Took me two days to find anything on the JM/Dinwiddie matchup where I normally would have found something the night of the game. That's just one example.

When I attempt to pull up vapreps on my phone, the website appears to come up, but screen is blank except for a blue outline.

I have problems on my phone (android) too. When I open the VirginiaPreps home page, or at least the page I bookmarked, I get a large pop-up that prompts me to sign up. None of the links on the pop-up work, I can't get rid of it, and it takes up half of the screen. I'm still able to scroll the page and read around the pop-up, but after less than a minute I get tired of doing that.

I was able to post from my phone last night for the first time. I have a problem when clicking on a thread at times though. When I click a thread of interest it will occasionally take me to another site like mdpreps or njpreps or some other site like that lol

I hope the change back is complete soon...before too many more posters disappear into the abyss.

I support the change back also. "Nothing beats a trial but a failure". I commend your efforts to improve the boards. Everybody remember, if Rod is not profitable, we have no forum.

Reactions: mmqp
This board is much better now. Thanks Ron

4752999-who.gif

Ron..., Rod..., just call you at kick off time, right? Thanks, regardless. And I look forward to the return of your podcast one day in the future.

Ron..., Rod..., just call you at kick off time, right? Thanks, regardless. And I look forward to the return of your podcast one day in the future.

Me too! Just need to find two more writers, one for NoVa and one for SWVA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT