ADVERTISEMENT

Stonebridge

HooSprings

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 13, 2018
Has anyone paid attention to the fact that they are healthy now? They destroyed Briar Woods Friday night.

Last edited:
That was not Mountain View, it was Briar Woods. And it wasn't what I would call "destruction" with a 29-12 final. Mountain View did whip up on North Stafford, 42-7.

It was a good win against a very solid Briar Woods team. My guess, is that those two teams meet again in the regional championship (likely at Briar Woods). Louisa, Matoaca, and Patrick Henry-R appear to be the 3 teams separating themselves from the pack in Region C. If both Briar Woods and Stone Bridge finish 1-2 in Region D, they both get bye’s in the first round as Region D only takes 6 teams this year. Playoff bye’s are tricky as you get less game reps but generally a team can continue to get healthier and work on subtle things in practice. Any thoughts or opinions on who comes out of C? Matoaca has a huge test against Dinwiddie this Friday. That should be a good measuring stick for them.

Reactions: HooSprings
louisa is still trying to play catch up after losing so many seniors and their 2 freshman players that went to woodberry forest and their starting qb in their first game. they got handled by massaponax and courtland even though they won that game. how they do against any of those playoff teams is going to be an adventure. they are much improved but undersized and inexperienced. keeping it real.

louisa is still trying to play catch up after losing so many seniors and their 2 freshman players that went to woodberry forest and their starting qb in their first game. they got handled by massaponax and courtland even though they won that game. how they do against any of those playoff teams is going to be an adventure. they are much improved but undersized and inexperienced. keeping it real.
Exactly. Louisa County certainly won't be seeing teams like Western Albemarle, Charlottesville, and Goochland come playoff time. This is where remaining in the Jefferson District will really cost them.

Gave this a look. Where would they go? Colonial is closest but they already have 9 I believe. Would the Battlefield take them? Would it be that big of a leap? There's also more than football to consider. You can't just put in football in another district. All the sports go too. Would a move benefit more of the sports? I don't know, just something to consider.

Fine point. Football isn't the only show in town. At least Louisa has some options. Albemarle is the one most screwed. There isn't anything within a reasonable drive that makes sense.

None of it may matter in a few years. There is talk that the VHSL is going to legislate that no district can have more than a two classification spread. So you could have a 3/4 district or a 4/5 district, but no a 3/4/5 grouping. But I doubt that will happen until fall 2027(at the earliest) because I believe they are on 4 year reclassification schedule.

Reactions: 17Bluebird
Gave this a look. Where would they go? Colonial is closest but they already have 9 I believe. Would the Battlefield take them? Would it be that big of a leap? There's also more than football to consider. You can't just put in football in another district. All the sports go too. Would a move benefit more of the sports? I don't know, just something to consider.
The Battlefield would not take a Class 5 school. It would have to be either the Commonwealth (this would put the Commonwealth at 8 until 2026 when a new high school in Stafford opens) or the western-most Class 5 Richmond area district (maybe the one with Glen Allen and Deep Run?).

Fine point. Football isn't the only show in town. At least Louisa has some options. Albemarle is the one most screwed. There isn't anything within a reasonable drive that makes sense.

None of it may matter in a few years. There is talk that the VHSL is going to legislate that no district can have more than a two classification spread. So you could have a 3/4 district or a 4/5 district, but no a 3/4/5 grouping. But I doubt that will happen until fall 2027(at the earliest) because I believe they are on 4 year reclassification schedule.
Albemarle County has discussed building a new high school near the airport to take half of Albemarle's enrollment. Louisa should consider building another HS as well because growth is continuing in both areas. I know the county tax payers might fight it but logistically, it's the best way for those schools to avoid having to join C5 districts in Richmond or Fredericksburg. If neither county does that, best bet is Albemarle, Louisa, PH-Roanoke, Franklin Co and William Fleming re-igniting the "western district." If Bedford County doesn't stop the open enrollment or re-draw the lines, Jefferson Forest is going to be close to C5 numbers by 2027. That could be a solid C5 district guaranteeing everyone 5 games with freedom to continue local rivalries.

Albemarle County has discussed building a new high school near the airport to take half of Albemarle's enrollment. Louisa should consider building another HS as well because growth is continuing in both areas. I know the county tax payers might fight it but logistically, it's the best way for those schools to avoid having to join C5 districts in Richmond or Fredericksburg. If neither county does that, best bet is Albemarle, Louisa, PH-Roanoke, Franklin Co and William Fleming re-igniting the "western district." If Bedford County doesn't stop the open enrollment or re-draw the lines, Jefferson Forest is going to be close to C5 numbers by 2027. That could be a solid C5 district guaranteeing everyone 5 games with freedom to continue local rivalries.
I think this is a great idea as well.

As for Louisa County, I live about six and a half miles from their county line. I can say that they do have room on their school property to expand their high school if they ever need to. I could see them doing this. They are about community there so I could see a ton of brushback if there was a proposal for a second high school.

As for a location for a new high school in that county? I don't know. That is pretty tough. The area between the Town of Mineral and the Town of Louisa is pretty centrally located for their current high school. However, I will say that there is a lot of growth coming to a three mile stretch in the northern part of Louisa County along Route 208 near the Spotsylvania County line up to Route 522/208, so that will add people as well.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I would think that Louisa won't build another school until they get past the 2500+ student threshold. They may have to add on to the current one, but it's a whole lot cheaper to have one big school than two smaller ones. But money for the school system is not something Louisa is lacking!

Last edited:
The Battlefield would not take a Class 5 school. It would have to be either the Commonwealth (this would put the Commonwealth at 8 until 2026 when a new high school in Stafford opens) or the western-most Class 5 Richmond area district (maybe the one with Glen Allen and Deep Run?).
Why would The Battlefield not take a Class 5 school?

Why would The Battlefield not take a Class 5 school?
If they would take a Class 5 school, they would have offered Massaponax and Riverbend since they are Spotsylvania County Schools.
However, they are pretty content with their longstanding Class 3/Class 4 setup.

If Louisa County were still Class 4, the Battlefield would of course want them back because they, along with Orange County should have never left for the Jefferson District.

If they would take a Class 5 school, they would have offered Massaponax and Riverbend since they are Spotsylvania County Schools.
However, they are pretty content with their longstanding Class 3/Class 4 setup.

If Louisa County were still Class 4, the Battlefield would of course want them back because they, along with Orange County should have never left for the Jefferson District.
That makes sense.

This is off topic, but one man, I know you were at Charlottesville last year. Did you see the writing on the wall with everything going in with the school currently? How bad was it last year?

This is off topic, but one man, I know you were at Charlottesville last year. Did you see the writing on the wall with everything going in with the school currently? How bad was it last year?
The morale of staff had been on the decline since returning from Covid but I was stunned by Pitt's resignation and then cancelling of classes. Didn't see that coming a few days into Quarter 2.
Cville has a unique demographic. The kids were tough before Covid but since returning the students are more defiant and conflict resolution skills have declined significantly. I broke up my fair share of fights, it's part of HS imo. I taught there 8 years, felt safe each and every day. Lot of good people and great kids in that building but like most, their are some teachers and staff that aren't built for the type of kids and situations that could arise with such kids.
I'd say central office and their smoke and mirrors is the biggest issue. With Cville having 75% free and reduced lunch, the data shows we had fewer suspensions, referrals and general discipline issues that other schools with similar demographics. Kids getting slapped on the wrist instead of suspended, they are right back in class, or in the hallways rather, being disruptive. Probably 25-30 kids ring leading all these issues. Another 100 or so kids stand along the fence, so to speak, of being like the 25-30. Once those 100 see nothing happens to the 25-30 when they act a fool, then they are going to jump that fence and join in on the "fun" the ring leaders are having. The 25 that never go to class and just walk the halls all day, running from safety officers(who replaced SROs, don't get me started on that one...because Cville had some great SROs) and usually starting or participating in most of the fights, just need to be sent home or to alternative school. Cville needs to rethink alt ed, Lugo McGinnis isn't big enough to support the amount of kids that need an alternative learning environment.
I'll step off the soap box a bit and finish with Charlottesville taught me a lot, made great connections with students and colleagues, still talk to them today and will continue in the future. School should be able to discipline kids and parents need to support the discipline. I hope Mr. Gurley can figure things out, though a good guy his tenure isn't looking too great IMO.

What's the story with Stone bridge vs Woodgrove apparently Stone bridge won by forfet.

Correct. It was scheduled for the Friday night when we had all that lightning across the state. The teams never made it onto the field. A make-up date the next day was proposed but WG either declined or could not accept it for some reason.

The morale of staff had been on the decline since returning from Covid but I was stunned by Pitt's resignation and then cancelling of classes. Didn't see that coming a few days into Quarter 2.
Cville has a unique demographic. The kids were tough before Covid but since returning the students are more defiant and conflict resolution skills have declined significantly. I broke up my fair share of fights, it's part of HS imo. I taught there 8 years, felt safe each and every day. Lot of good people and great kids in that building but like most, their are some teachers and staff that aren't built for the type of kids and situations that could arise with such kids.
I'd say central office and their smoke and mirrors is the biggest issue. With Cville having 75% free and reduced lunch, the data shows we had fewer suspensions, referrals and general discipline issues that other schools with similar demographics. Kids getting slapped on the wrist instead of suspended, they are right back in class, or in the hallways rather, being disruptive. Probably 25-30 kids ring leading all these issues. Another 100 or so kids stand along the fence, so to speak, of being like the 25-30. Once those 100 see nothing happens to the 25-30 when they act a fool, then they are going to jump that fence and join in on the "fun" the ring leaders are having. The 25 that never go to class and just walk the halls all day, running from safety officers(who replaced SROs, don't get me started on that one...because Cville had some great SROs) and usually starting or participating in most of the fights, just need to be sent home or to alternative school. Cville needs to rethink alt ed, Lugo McGinnis isn't big enough to support the amount of kids that need an alternative learning environment.
I'll step off the soap box a bit and finish with Charlottesville taught me a lot, made great connections with students and colleagues, still talk to them today and will continue in the future. School should be able to discipline kids and parents need to support the discipline. I hope Mr. Gurley can figure things out, though a good guy his tenure isn't looking too great IMO.
Nice take @one man. I agree with about Dr. Royal Gurley being a good guy. He also is very intelligent and innovative. Unfortunately, some of his decisions and policies still haunt Dinwiddie Schools. I don't think it was intentional and I really think he meant well, but some of his discipline and curriculum procedures surely led to the communities lack of confidence in the administration. I wish him well and hope he gets things turned around.

Reactions: Senex
Sounds like a nice fix.
why did you pick them to travel to the middle of the hinderland for district games.(not gonna happen)!!!!
Besides no one in the RVA cares about districts anyway as long as they are in the region that is all that matters.

I'm watching the SB-BW game and I'm conditionally impressed with their defense - mainly the front 7. BW isn't the most athletic or speedy team so its hard for me to gauge if the SB D is legit or if BW just isn't that good. I guess I'll potentially know more in the coming weeks....

The 16th Region Title for Stone Bridge Football.
Way to go!!!

F_uc0faXwAEsMeS

Congrats to the Bulldogs. 16 regional championships in 24 years is quite an accomplishment. Looking forward to hosting the winner of the Matoaca/Fleming game this evening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT