ADVERTISEMENT

The Battlefield District for 26 August

ChancellorFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 20, 2001
It is finally time for the 2016 High School Football season to get underway. Many months have passed and for the teams in the Battlefield District that means long hours of hard work spent in the weight room, classroom, weight room, practice field, weight room, 7 on 7 competitions, weight room, summer camps and did I mention the weight room! I have spent more time this off season watching all this work play out. You know I watch one team in particular but you can bet I have watchful eyes throughout the area trying to keep my thumb on the pulse of this very competitive district. This year will be no less than competitive than any other but you may find a little twist on things. Give it some time. Let’s say by the end of game 3 and maybe it will begin to become clear. Maybe sooner.

The first week, game one, is always difficult. Sometimes what you see on a practice field, in a 7 on 7 or even a scrimmage isn’t exactly what translates to Friday nights under the lights. It can go one way or the other. That’s OK, at least I can set it up with my thoughts and we’ll just let the chips fall.

Here is my disclaimer. All the thoughts and predictions here are mine. I use a little math, my eyes and ears, some critical thinking and sometimes just a wild guess. There is nothing here that should be taken as derogatory or as bad mouthing anyone, any player, any team or any coaching staff. The sole intent of this weekly is to stimulate a little talk on the board about the Battlefield District. I am proud of all of these teams, wish them lots of luck, and go out of my way to ensure I am sitting in the stands every Friday night! Their hard work and dedication needs to be seen and it will be the best six dollars you spend all week!

Caroline vs Monacan

Caroline has struggled over the past few years. In my eyes, the biggest issue is changes in the coaching staff. Way too many and way too often. What I see every year though is talent on the field. I bet it’s there this year too. I also believe they are finally seeing a little stability. That will play off in spades! They open against Monacan though and that’s tough. I am not completely sure what Monacan brings back but I bet it’s not going to be dramatically different than last year. Work hard Cav’s and give the Chiefs a rough Friday night, but I see Monacan with the W.

Chancellor @ Riverbend

Game of the week here folks! Let’s start with these two teams being rivals and add they are within 3 miles of each other. Then throw in one school getting a little pre-season hype and you have the makings of a big game! That’s a heck of a way to start a season! So, is Chancellor really all that? With multiple D-1 commits, additional D-1 activity, a couple D-2 offers and more recruiting action going on than I have ever witnessed at one school, are they really as good as the hype is building up? We’ll find out soon enough. I’ll say this, the Chargers have the talent, work ethic, desire and offensive and defensive schemes to win on any given Friday night. But, you have to put it together on that Friday night and execute. Riverbend found out last year what these Chargers can bring to the table. This year, the Bears talent level may have taken a slight step back. Maybe. I don’t believe it will matter. Chancellor will not be denied an opening W.

Courtland @ Massaponax

Courtland has been a Battlefield power for many years. It has seemed like forever since they have fielded a varsity squad without lots of heavy pushers up front and multiple horses in the backfield! This could be the first year in a long time they don’t have the three headed monster running behind a massive front five though. I would never count them out. They have an awesome coaching staff that makes things work. But, what they have to deal with this year is youth and youth generally always lacks size, speed and football savvy against older, more veteran squads. I look for them to start slow and build toward the end of the year. Massaponax will be Massaponnax. Courtland will give them a game but Massaponax will get the W.

King George vs Washington & Lee

I don’t have as much information about King George this year as I have had in the past. One thing I do know is they have Coach Smith and that says a lot. My guess at this point is they will produce about the same as they did last year and maybe one step better. Washington & Lee will find out early that the Foxes have been working hard in the off season. Not that this won’t be a good game, but King George will get the W and not have to put all their chips on the table.

James Monroe vs Dinwiddie

James Monroe is another Battlefield power. I don’t see them slacking up much this year either. On any Friday night, looking across the field and seeing the Jackets there means you are in for a tough night! Better have had your Wheaties!!! Dinwiddie is one tough nut to start off with. Last year’s contest was a high scoring affair and JM came up on the short end. I don’t think there will be as many points on the board but I see the outcome the same. Dinwiddie with the W.

Spotsylvania vs Eastern View

Spotsylvania is another team that has struggled over the last few years. It looks like they have some things straightened out but now they are short on the talent level. Keep working hard Knights, it will all come back around. Never, never give up!!! Eastern View is a tough start for the Knights. It’ll give them a chance to see where their level of play has to be for the rest of the year and they need that. Eastern View will get the W.

Week one is set! And yes, it will be a rough one for the Battlefield District. I see two Ws out of six. Don’t let that fool you though, these young men are just getting started! Get off your couch, out of the front of your computer and cough up those six bucks! These teams need your support!

Good luck to all the players and coaching staffs this year!

Reactions: hamspear
That's about right. GOW is right.

But the Bears will bring a lot of size and athletes to the field. They are well Coached and have numbers. Great expectations are in for the Chargers but they are not so far removed from last year, where they had the same DI players. Quite honestly, they need to win this game or folks will say "same old. Same old." Then they head to Ponax. But 0 - 2 will not make me lose faith in them. GL in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT