ADVERTISEMENT

The Battlefield for 30 October

ChancellorFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 20, 2001
What a difference one game day makes! This time last week I really thought the Battlefield District Championship was down to one game and it would be played this week. Well, not so fast! One game last week blew the whole thing wide open. There are so many possibilities right now, I’m not even going to guess.

Let’s set the week up.

Caroline @ Spotsylvania

This game just may be a lot better than one would think at first glance. Both of these teams have had some struggles this year but you can bet they have been working hard to overcome them. Caroline is working hard and plays every play of the game. It’s a matter of time before they break one loose. Spotsy is making some things work and I believe they are a little further down the trail. Spotsy gets the W.

Chancellor @ King George

So, was King George beating Courtland a real upset or are the Foxes really that good? They certainly took the cover off the Battlefield with that win, that’s for sure. Maybe Courtland showed up not believing they had that one won? I’m not for sure but tend to believe it’s a little bit of both. I know that Coach Smith and his Foxes are always working and it generally pays off. Chancellor is on a mission themselves! One day they think there is no way to touch the Battlefield District Trophy and now there is a chance to share it! These two teams had a shootout last year with Chancellor coming out on top. I don’t believe that’ll be the case this time around. I am not going to slight my Chargers but they are going to have to play like they are in the Super Bowl! Chancellor will get this W!

Courtland vs James Monroe

So, last week I would have said this is the game that decides the Battlefield District. Not so sure now. You can trust that this game will be a knockdown, drag out kind of affair! And, the winner will not necessarily decide the BDC. Having seen both of these teams play in a matter of 5 days, I’m going to have to base my call on what I believe I saw. Before I do that though, understand that this one is going to be tough! I think the physical play of Courtland will be the deciding factor. The Cougars get the W … but it won’t be easy in any sense of the word!

OK, there you are. I believe there are two “Games of the Week” this week. Chancellor @ KG and Courtland vs JM. Going to be one exciting Friday night and you don’t want to miss it! Get out there and cheer your team on! Only 2 more Friday nights before the playoffs!!!!

This is the toughest week so far to pick - either team could win all three games!

Caroline @ Spotsylvania - Spotsy got tired in the JM game last week, made a few mistakes and JM pulled away in the 4th quarter. The same could happen here; but I thinking it won't. Spotsy is the better team and I'll take the Knights.

Chancellor @ King George - KGs new OC and DC are very familiar with Chancellor. The DC played for Courtland and used to coach them. Same might be true of the OC. The new OC coached and learned under Tim Coleman, and I've heard Tim has helped him put in the Wing-T. Tim had all good things to say about both when I talked to him Friday night at the JM game. They already had a very good Head Coach, now they've got a very good coaching trio. Chancellor is also well coached. Chancellor wore down in the second half against Courtland stopping the wing-T and the same thing could happen against KG. I'm going with KG to get the win at home and set up a chance for a district championship.

Courtland vs James Monroe - Turnovers could be the key to this game. Turnovers cost Courtland against Massaponax and KG. JM does a pretty good job of protecting the ball. I think JM has the speed advantage, Courtland will be fired up after the loss last week. JM will have to play their best game of the year defensively to have a shot. I think this will be like JM's season opening game against Dinwiddie where both teams have trouble stopping the other team; as some call it a track meet. As Chancellor coach Bob Oliver was quoted in the FLS after their game with JM: you don't want to be in a track meet with JM. I'll take JM in a high scoring game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT