ADVERTISEMENT

The Second Season.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Well gang, the door is closed on the first season, and with the official notification being sent to the AD’s this afternoon, the second season begins. The term “sudden death” is seldom used to describe our playoff system, but that is in fact, what it is. Win, or turn in your gear. Sadly, for most kids, when they play their last game as a high school player, organized football is over for them. For those that never suit up again, a very real “second season” begins.

If you own or work for a company, or in any way can influence hiring, please consider if you can provide a kid something to look forward to, to have something to provide a focus for them. You know as well as I, that many kids, and I’m speaking of players that have had football in their life since rec league days, will be just fine. But there always seem to be a certain number that find themselves lost without what football provided. Please try, in any way possible, to encourage your community to give kids like this an opportunity. As the owner of an Electrical Contracting Company, I can tell you two things without any hesitation. The trades need employees, and those employees can make damn good money. So encourage anyone you know in the trades to reach out to the head coach or other administration folks, and see if a kid or two wants a job when they graduate.

These kids have provided us older folks with enjoyment and excitement that has enriched our lives to the extreme. So, let’s try to pay them back just a little. Let’s help make their second season a success.

Well said @DinwiddieProud. My master degree research/paper basically detailed the psychological effects of the an athletes divorce from sports. Most people desire and thrive under structure. Athletics surely requires structure and as you said many are lost without it.

I interviewed 100 former athletes of all ages and each acknowledged initially having a huge void in their lives once they quit competing. The difficulties that arose varied, but one thing was consistent. Adrenaline is the most powerful and dangerous drug in existence. 50% of the individuals interviewed suffered from depression, substance abuse, and anger related issues. Simply put they could not replace the high that competitive sports gave them. Due to the high levels of aggression involved the loss of this adrenaline utopia is extremely elevated for former football players, wrestlers.....

The major issue is the phenomenon is so easily dismissed. We train players up and then discard them when they are done without any support or preparation at all. I beg coaches, parents and employees to recognize this. Reach out, help them, but more importantly just let them know you care. They do give us such joy, but really ask yourself do we even think about them once they make their last block, tackle or run. Thanks DP.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
When do the official playoff brackets come out?
Watch the VHSL website shortly after 2:00 today; if no issues are encountered as everything is proofed. It takes time, because it HAS to be correct, the first time. Some of you may remember that a few years ago they released the pairings and there was a mistake. They had yo tell a team, oops, sorry, you are not in the playoffs. Very awkward.

My complements to the staff members at the League for working through the weekend.

Just heard that it should be very soon.

Watch the VHSL website shortly after 2:00 today; if no issues are encountered as everything is proofed. It takes time, because it HAS to be correct, the first time. Some of you may remember that a few years ago they released the pairings and there was a mistake. They had yo tell a team, oops, sorry, you are not in the playoffs. Very awkward.

My complements to the staff members at the League for working through the weekend.

Just heard that it should be very soon.
Thank you for the info!

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Well gang, the door is closed on the first season, and with the official notification being sent to the AD’s this afternoon, the second season begins. The term “sudden death” is seldom used to describe our playoff system, but that is in fact, what it is. Win, or turn in your gear. Sadly, for most kids, when they play their last game as a high school player, organized football is over for them. For those that never suit up again, a very real “second season” begins.

If you own or work for a company, or in any way can influence hiring, please consider if you can provide a kid something to look forward to, to have something to provide a focus for them. You know as well as I, that many kids, and I’m speaking of players that have had football in their life since rec league days, will be just fine. But there always seem to be a certain number that find themselves lost without what football provided. Please try, in any way possible, to encourage your community to give kids like this an opportunity. As the owner of an Electrical Contracting Company, I can tell you two things without any hesitation. The trades need employees, and those employees can make damn good money. So encourage anyone you know in the trades to reach out to the head coach or other administration folks, and see if a kid or two wants a job when they graduate.

These kids have provided us older folks with enjoyment and excitement that has enriched our lives to the extreme. So, let’s try to pay them back just a little. Let’s help make their second season a success.
Coming from someone that's been around the block. Some really good advice here especially regarding the trades. Too many kids graduating college that can't change a tire. Parents sending their kids to a particular school so they can brag to their neighbors.

If I were to give advice to just about any young person finishing high school right now, it would be to consider learning a trade, or going to a community college, and then maybe transfer to a four-year school. I say that as someone with multiple degrees that went to a large state school. There are a lot of really, really good community college professors out there that just don't want to fool with having to publish something every year at a university.

College can open some doors for you that might not otherwise be opened. That's not really disputable. But what most employers are looking for in someone with an undergraduate degree is that you can start something and finish it. That's it -- just the basics -- because we know you haven't really specialized in anything.

I'm not knocking getting a good education, but I see too many young people, and frankly adults are largely to blame imo, with unrealistic views of how things actually work. You want to be a design engineer? Ok, great. That's going to take four, likely five years, in an accredited program to get the theory down, and do some networking. You might graduate with about a third of your class. Then another four years of progressive work experience. Probably some graduate level courses at some point. Pass a couple tests. Congratulations, you're a PE. Odds are you're not going to be designing much of anything 😂! In fact, you might hate the work. AND you could easily end up with about what amounts to a mortgage in student loans before you get your first real job. CPA, CFA, MD, JD...about the same. That can be a real kick in the shorts. Truth is there's more than one way to achieve whatever standard of living you're looking for and when push comes to shove, the perceived scarcity of your contribution (skills) is what's going to determine your pay.

Last edited:
Coming from someone that's been around the block. Some really good advice here especially regarding the trades. Too many kids graduating college that can't change a tire. Parents sending their kids to a particular school so they can brag to their neighbors.

If I were to give advice to just about any young person finishing high school right now, it would be to consider learning a trade, or going to a community college, and then maybe transfer to a four-year school. I say that as someone with multiple degrees.

College can open some doors for you that might not otherwise be opened. That's not really disputable. But what most employers are looking for in someone with an undergraduate degree is that you can start something and finish it. That's it -- just the basics -- because we know you haven't really specialized in anything.

I'm not knocking getting a good education, but I see too many young people, and frankly adults are largely to blame imo, with unrealistic views of how things actually work. You want to be a design engineer? Ok, great. That's going to take four, likely five years, in an accredited program to get the basics, and do some networking. You might graduate with about a third of your class. Then another four years of progressive work experience. Probably some graduate level courses at some point. Pass a couple tests. Congratulations, you're a PE. Odds are you're not going to be designing much of anything 😂! AND you could easily end up with about what amounts to a mortgage in student loans before you get your first real job. CPA, CFA, MD, JD...about the same. That can be a real kick in the shorts. Truth is there's more than one way to achieve whatever standard of living you're looking for and when push comes to shove, the perceived scarcity of your contribution (skills) is what's going to determine your pay.
Solid, sound, advice, sir.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT