ADVERTISEMENT

The Slow Death of Tidewater Football

VaPrepsRod

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Jul 5, 2008
Though I have lived in the Tidewater area since 2002 and first starting working for VirginiaPreps.com as a football writer covering the Eastern Region, I transitioned to State Football Editor a number of years back and have since driven around the state on weekends taking in games from Chesapeake to Leesburg and West Point to Big Stone Gap.

I've been lucky enough to see some of Virginia's all-time great athletes, teams, coaches and programs in some of the most exciting Friday night action that one can find in the Commonwealth.

Unfortunately, this column is about the other end of the spectrum, because the bad aspects are starting to overpower the good.

Ground zero for problems right now is the Tidewater area.

spacer1.gif
1602447.jpg

On Thursday, Bill Stachelski was suspended from his duties as head football coach at Cox High School for the remainder of the regular season and the postseason. He marks the fourth Hampton Roads coach this season to be suspended or fired joining Ocean Lakes' Chris Scott, Great Bridge's Pete Gale, and Kings Forks' Joe Jones.

The reason vary for why these men were suspended or let go, but the reasons don't really matter here.

Hampton Roads, you have a problem and this is not the only one.

Three high school football games this season have been rescheduled because of "safety concerns".

A recent Booker T. Washington at Lake Taylor game was moved, on gameday, from Friday night to Saturday morning when safety concerns were raised.

A matchup between undefeated Phoebus and undefeated Hampton high schools was not only moved from Friday to Saturday, but also was policed, at least partially, by members of Hampton's gang unit.

Perhaps the most anticipated regular season game in the Hampton Roads area, Oscar Smith at Indian River, was not only rescheduled from Friday to Saturday and policed by members of the gang unit, but also moved to a completely different school as Hickory played host to the game. One which, by the way, may have been the most exciting game that I've seen played in well over a decade of attending games.

1751209.jpg
spacer1.gif

photo credit: Greg Bishop
spacer1.gif

Hampton Roads' most anticipated game of the season was rescheduled, moved and policed by gang units

Knowing that I live in the Tidewater area, several administrators, coaches and fans from around Virginia used to ask me about the great recruits and teams from the Hampton Roads area.

Over the course of the past half-decade, there's been more and more questions about recruiting, cheating, outside influences on programs, questionable ethics, and safety concerns among others.

I've always stood up for the area because I knew that the same types of things were happening around the rest of the state, as well. It usually takes less ten minutes of conversation with a football fanatic in any part of the state before I get told that " is only good because they cheat and recruit."

There have been instances from other parts of the state where coaches have been fired under questionable circumstances as happened earlier this year in Stafford County, so the problems are now wholly owned by just one section of Virginia.

However, with four coaches fired or suspended, three games moved under fear of gang-related activity, several recruiting allegations both founded and unfounded all emanating from the Hampton Roads area, I can't make a case anymore.

There are several things wrong with football in the Tidewater area and it's time to make some major changes with the way that things are being done.

What has been done is not working.

Unfortunately, there is not a simple answer to fix all the problems and I'm sure that not one person can make the changes. However, I do have a couple of suggestions that might help make things better.

First, the Tidewater area needs an active poster club like the Touchdown Club in Richmond, a group that brings together coaches, referees, media and other people around the sport who helps get everyone on the same page and pointed in the right direction. There are some individual groups in the area who support each of the seven cities, but nothing on the scale of what is done in Richmond.

Secondly, there needs to be a local coaches' association. In many areas of the state, local coaches get together to actively work with players from all schools at lineman camps and events of that nature. The camaraderie helps bring coaches together as friends (or at least respected colleagues) and keeps players from running to camps run by rec league guys and other outside influences who help to undermine the high school coaches.

spacer1.gif
875779.jpg

Individual schools need booster clubs who work towards the betterment of their football program. Volunteers who help raise money, paint fields and get things done to show the players that they have community support. Failing that, it'd be great if more people just showed up at games as nowhere in the state are players performing in front of empty stadiums like they do in Tidewater.

People need to learn to be honest about a player's opportunity at the next level. I cannot begin to tell you how many times that I've been screamed down by a parent because I felt (and wrote) that little Jimmy was a D-2 prospect. While no one wants to step on the dreams of a young teenager, there are far too many voices in a player's ear these days "evaluating" players as Division I talents. The hype is hurting the attitude of players (and family members) who do not understand why college scholarships are not falling out of the sky for them.

Lastly, there needs to be a very serious conversation about players moving and transferring from school to school with far more investigation into the whys and hows of it happening and how to better legislate it. Either the rules need to be re-written in a way that makes it far more difficult or there needs to be a much higher level of scrutiny put into the investigations of changing addresses and zones.

The football scene is slowly dying in the Hampton Roads area and, if the culture around it is not changed, football itself will ultimately be a casualty of this failure to act.

Football Editor Rod Johnson first joined the staff at www.VirginiaPreps.com in 2003 reporting on prospects, programs and news from around the state since moving to the Commonwealth. To keep up with all the high school football action in the state, follow him on Twitter or find him on Facebook. He is also the regular host of the VirginiaPreps.com Podcast. To find a full archived list of podcast recordings, click on our Podcast Library. Additionally, Rod can be contacted via e-mail at vaprepsrod@cox.net.

Great article. Obviously, something that has been building for you, at least it came across that way to me when I read it.

Not sure the Stafford HS coaching issue deserves reference in the article, though. Seems like a completely separate topic from the threats of gang violence, recruitment cheating, etc...

Definitely appreciate the article & your time.

Great article. Obviously, something that has been building for you, at least it came across that way to me when I read it.

Not sure the Stafford HS coaching issue deserves reference in the article, though. Seems like a completely separate topic from the threats of gang violence, recruitment cheating, etc...

Definitely appreciate the article & your time.

The circumstances around the Stafford situation and the coaching issues in Tidewater are similar.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Reactions: WP02alum
Oh, is the Cox coach accused of mistreating a player in practice? Can't seem to find any reference to why he was suspended/terminated.

Haven't kept track of what happened at GB or KF. Are those similar situations as well?

Oh, is the Cox coach accused of mistreating a player in practice? Can't seem to find any reference to why he was suspended/terminated.

No. Also, since I have no one on record about it, I can't say more. Sorry.

Haven't kept track of what happened at GB or KF. Are those similar situations as well?

One was similar in that it involved parental involvement that may (or may not) have been a twisting of the circumstances.

Again, without speaking to anyone on record, I really can't say much.

Gotcha. Didn't understand the connection based on the article alone, but makes a bit more sense now.

I said this over on the 6A board, but I'm surprised you say you've been living in this area since 2002 and are just now realizing this kind of stuff. Some of these schools have always had to have day games. Gangs aren't anything new either. You should have seen the 90s with all that went on. Same goes for basketball games a lot. That stuff been around for years and can cause the area reputation. I remember way back when they started having metal detectors at games. You don't see those in other areas of the state maybe except Richmond. I think it definitely needs to clean up though. I ain't surprised another Tidewater coach got suspended. Smh The VHSL needs to hammer these schools that are cheating.

I said this over on the 6A board, but I'm surprised you say you've been living in this area since 2002 and are just now realizing this kind of stuff.

I'm surprised that you read that article and got the impression that I just now realized this kind of stuff.

Some of these schools have always had to have day games. Gangs aren't anything new either.

I don't know which part of the article that you think treated day games and gangs as new.

Sorry that we seem to have a major disconnect between what I wrote and what you read.

My bad. that just seemed like that was your surprised tone, since you talked about how long you've been in the area and all you've seen and done. That stuff has gone on for a while, but you said it's ground zero now and all and it's time for change.

Also, I just read that the Stafford coach has a lot of local support from the community, including a big petition from the parents and players on the team. That firing sounds more like a witch hunt to me, but you probably have more inside info.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT