ADVERTISEMENT

The Tazewell Radio Crew

I wasn't real happy with them either to be honest. Spotting the ball was interesting at times as well as a pile of no calls. They missed them both ways so not sure of the impact but I recall on a 3rd and long a fairly significant hold not being called against the Bulldogs which resulted in a first down for them with a solid play. I am sure it was likely that way from their perspective too. I have tried backing off of the officials we have left since there aren’t as many around. Just would like consistency

Reactions: VaTech98 and eh31
I wasn't real happy with them either to be honest. Spotting the ball was interesting at times as well as a pile of no calls. They missed them both ways so not sure of the impact but I recall on a 3rd and long a fairly significant hold not being called against the Bulldogs which resulted in a first down for them with a solid play. I am sure it was likely that way from their perspective too. I have tried backing off of the officials we have left since there aren’t as many around. Just would like consistency
Ye I saw at least one occasion they stopped play because the one official was out of position, I saw one official signal to the other one to get him to the right spot. Have seen quite a few new officials this year which is a good thing but going to be a little bit of a learning curve until they get more experience. Hopefully that inexperience doesnt decide the outcome of a game.

Reactions: Bama1985
They have been bad all year at every game, they had at least 6 timeouts today for themselves, they missed many calls, but the one that I was questioning was the catch them fumble like a half second after it was in his hands that I thought was a no catch.

The radio crew agreed with you on that one. Then there was a time when Riverheads was flagged for pass interference and the flag was picked up. Then at one point they said the white hat was not giving any signals for the infractions.

I heard the radio crew or somebody in the booth hollering at the refs about the flags

The radio crew agreed with you on that one. Then there was a time when Riverheads was flagged for pass interference and the flag was picked up. Then at one point they said the white hat was not giving any signals for the infractions.
That flag was picked up after a discussion between the referee and the back judge. That’s the inconsistency I am talking about. If you see it and flag it, enforce it.

And I agree that the fumble was an incomplete pass. That was a horrible call for sure.

Reactions: eh31 and Bama1985
I heard the radio crew or somebody in the booth hollering at the refs about the flags
I thought that was you , Bama . and where did you get that fancy Hat . I want one like that ! You walked by me at the fence and I spoke to you and you kept walking . I saw people looking at the Radio Crew but from the fence I could not tell who was running their mouth ?

I thought that was you , Bama . and where did you get that fancy Hat . I want one like that ! You walked by me at the fence and I spoke to you and you kept walking . I saw people looking at the Radio Crew but from the fence I could not tell who was running their mouth ?
I did not here u talk to me at the fence, before or after the game, I can get u the fancy hat bit I need to know who you are to get your size,

I agree that the officiating was kind of a mess today but it was not enough to impact the game. Riverheads was clearly the better team although Tazewell put up a decent fight. Since this thread is mainly about the officiating, I will tap in to KW's post on the 2-A board to post my recap. Should have it up in about half an hour. Had to watch the big JMU win and then the other prime time games you understand........

Reactions: eh31
They have been bad all year at every game, they had at least 6 timeouts today for themselves, they missed many calls, but the one that I was questioning was the catch them fumble like a half second after it was in his hands that I thought was a no catch.

Quote from the News Virginian

At the start of the second half, the
Gladiators benefitted from a referee
decision when a seemingly dropped pass
was ruled a fumble recovered by
Riverheads.”

It was an incomplete for sure. Other problems mentioned are accurate.
Dude opening the window to yell out to the officials was less than optimal, but I guess if you travel three hours gotta make your presence known somehow.
Better than the Draft Coaches yelling like crazy people.

Hmmm I was sitting very close to the press box and did not hear anything like that. In fact, until this thread came along, I was not even aware that Tazewell had a radio crew there.

Reactions: eh31
Two of the best lines from the Tazewell color guy were: Oh My Word! and Good Gravy Marie! He also accused one of the officials of forgetting his penalty flag!

Hmmm I was sitting very close to the press box and did not hear anything like that. In fact, until this thread came along, I was not even aware that Tazewell had a radio crew there.
What I heard him say was some reference to "Opie". It happened just after they picked up the flag on the Pass Interference call against the Coaches son. Most of the people around me looked up there trying to figure out who it was. Figured out after the game that is was the radio crew on that end of the press box and it wasn't coaches.
All that said, there were some strange calls on the field, but they surely didn't decide the game.

I'm a Radford guy, but occasionally go on swvasports.com and chat with the folks in far swva. The Tazewell radio play by play guy is a regular on there and he's a class act. He knows football through and through and was a former player at Graham under legendary coach Glynn Carlock. I wasn't at the RH vs Tazewell game or anything like that, but I know for certain the play by play guy for Tazewell is a good guy. He's also an attorney in the Tazewell County area. I just wanted to put this out there in case there is any question about his reputation, because you aren't going to find a better guy.

As I said before I didn't hear anything but I applaud small town schools and their ability to cover their teams' games on the radio. It adds a lot to the game, helps fans that cannot attend, and just makes the whole experience more memorable. If the announcers are "down home boys" instead of polished professionals, that makes it all the more entertaining sometimes.

I'm a Radford guy, but occasionally go on swvasports.com and chat with the folks in far swva. The Tazewell radio play by play guy is a regular on there and he's a class act. He knows football through and through and was a former player at Graham under legendary coach Glynn Carlock. I wasn't at the RH vs Tazewell game or anything like that, but I know for certain the play by play guy for Tazewell is a good guy. He's also an attorney in the Tazewell County area. I just wanted to put this out there in case there is any question about his reputation, because you aren't going to find a better guy.
I follow along over there as well and he does seem like he is alright. They have some interesting conversations over there for sure and he is definitely in the middle of about every one of the Tazewell ones.

We had 2 college or just recently in college age refs last Friday. One was the clock operator. It is good to get new blood, but there will be a learning curve. My favorite was after a quarter change and the back judge was in front, and then they had to hold things up while he ran through both lines to get to other side.

I don’t see it happening anytime soon, especially with the atmosphere around games now. Literally it is toxic even down to the youth level. We had 3 refuse to do local league games anymore due to unruly fans and frankly some of the coaches as well.

I watched a side judge mouth F you to a fan at the Grayson - Carroll game. The guy was waiting on him at the gate after the game but the official must of realized he screwed up and left a different way than the rest of the crew. And yes the officials was horrible that game as well. Have Carroll five downs one series that led to a TD on the fifth down. Grayson pa announcer was screaming it was fifth down while the guy was running about 70 yards down the field . Lol

I watched a side judge mouth F you to a fan at the Grayson - Carroll game. The guy was waiting on him at the gate after the game but the official must of realized he screwed up and left a different way than the rest of the crew. And yes the officials was horrible that game as well. Have Carroll five downs one series that led to a TD on the fifth down. Grayson pa announcer was screaming it was fifth down while the guy was running about 70 yards down the field . Lol
Not a smart move to yell at fans, especially that word. In today’s society, some areas, fans might cross the fence after an official.

This season I have seen two games in which teams were given 5 down series. In one of those offensive pass interference was marked off as a five yard penalty from the previous spot!

You sure he was a former Graham player? Cause I've heard the opposite, that he never played a snap in his life.

And IMO he is an arrogant piece of work

Reactions: mmqp 5.0
You sure he was a former Graham player? Cause I've heard the opposite, that he never played a snap in his life.

And IMO he is an arrogant piece of work
I don’t think he played football possibly in the band but I could be wrong about that but I’m almost positive he didn’t play football but did graduate from Graham. I think the Tazewell Radio Crew do a great job broadcasting the Bulldogs’ games. They’re much better than our Graham radio guys in my opinion.

I don’t think he played football possibly in the band but I could be wrong about that but I’m almost positive he didn’t play football but did graduate from Graham. I think the Tazewell Radio Crew do a great job broadcasting the Bulldogs’ games. They’re much better than our Graham radio guys in my opinion.
I heard many KW folks complain about the Graham radio guys in the state championship last year. I guess they didn't give KW credit for anything and kept saying that it was because Graham was just having a bad day. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Gridiron1960
I heard many KW folks complain about the Graham radio guys in the state championship last year. I guess they didn't give KW credit for anything and kept saying that it was because Graham was just having a bad day. Lol
How about KW had a great day which they did! They were the best team on the field that day. Semantics is everything, lol.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Here's the link to their broadcasts. Play the 2nd half of the Riverheads game (the 1:27:48 one) go to the 45:45 mark and listen for about the next 10 minutes or so:
That was comical, lol. I will trade a couple of the dpi’s for the numerous holding calls missed on their O. It wasn’t one of the finest moments for officiating but it was crappy for both sides.

I was lucky enough to hear bad high school play by play guys before I did my first game. By some coincidence, all the bad calls by the refs always went against their team. What were the odds of that happening every game, with different refs. I always tried to be careful about criticizing the officials, and tried to occasionally bring up when our team might have benefitted from a bad call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT