ADVERTISEMENT

Things I hope we leave in 2015 and things I hope we keep for 2016

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Things I hope we leave in 2015
1. The belief that one part of the state is a whole whole lot better in football than other parts of the state.
2. The belief that because your team lost you had to be cheated in someway.
3. The penchant of some to tear down the success of others
Things I hope we keep for 2016
1. The passion for high school football
2. The loyal fan support for our chosen team
3. The demonstration of sportsmanship that shows itself most of the time on the field, part of the time in the stands, and occasionally on this board.
4. An appreciation for our coaches, boosters, band, and cheerleaders.

Well...? Four out of seven isn't bad!!!
Have to agree with you both; however, with Salem's big win and heated discussions on a variety of social media sites it could get a bit more intense.

I sat on the Salem side during the championship game and for the most part the fans were passionate, loud and knowledgeable. Had a great time until what i believe to be a former player (#80 on hat) was very innappropriate. The kid was walking up the steps and stopped right in front of my and two grandparents from Salems seats. He stood there watching the game for three minutes. I asked him nicely to please move. He looked at me like i was crazy. I then said loudly move. He mumbled something and went up the steps. A few minutes later he came back down and stood in front of me with his back to the field. I calmy told him to move on as i did not fear his form of intimidation or disrespect. God, knows i am not used to being disrespected like that and it took a ton to keep my professional personality from coming out. Had it not been for DP's brother in law i would have surely lost my cool.

I realize this is not indicative of Salems young men, but this players arrogance and disrespect left a very sour taste in my mouth. I surely know #80 has failed to follow the life lessons taught by coach Mags.

On a positive note, I actually felt a lot of pride when Nate Craft kicked the winning field goal. His grandfather, Glenn Bird passed last spring and was a lifelong mentor of mine. Couldn't have happened to a finer kid.

Congrats Salem and LT. Good luck to all of the teams in 2016. May all of the posters and their families have a safe holiday season.

I had walked to a gate to slip out and give some friends from MV something from my truck I had promised them. I guess the stars lined up. If I had been there, and knowing Navy was about to lose it, I would have jumped up in front of him and confronted the kid. Only because an incident involving Navy would be a real problem for him professionally. The kid would probably have half killed me if it came to that, but being self employed, the repercussions would have been much easier for me than for Navy. I think the thing that about pushed Navy over the edge, was the disrespect to the grandparents, (of a Salem player), sitting in front of him.

But like he said, this kid was not indicative of the Salem fans. I was sitting beside a wonderful lady that graduated from Salem in 82. Had a blast joking and carrying on with her.

Hey, it was an isolated incident, and no big deal. This was not a reflection of what Salem trys hard to portray.

Southbottom, I agree with you fully. One thing I hope everyone will do is show a little more humility. And have a sense of humor. Laugh at yourself once in a while. Be passionate, but remember, it's a bunch of kids playing a game. Let's all enjoy the ride before we get too old to remember which team we are rooting for.

Merry Christmas to all.

Have to agree with you both; however, with Salem's big win and heated discussions on a variety of social media sites it could get a bit more intense.

I sat on the Salem side during the championship game and for the most part the fans were passionate, loud and knowledgeable. Had a great time until what i believe to be a former player (#80 on hat) was very innappropriate. The kid was walking up the steps and stopped right in front of my and two grandparents from Salems seats. He stood there watching the game for three minutes. I asked him nicely to please move. He looked at me like i was crazy. I then said loudly move. He mumbled something and went up the steps. A few minutes later he came back down and stood in front of me with his back to the field. I calmy told him to move on as i did not fear his form of intimidation or disrespect. God, knows i am not used to being disrespected like that and it took a ton to keep my professional personality from coming out. Had it not been for DP's brother in law i would have surely lost my cool.

I realize this is not indicative of Salems young men, but this players arrogance and disrespect left a very sour taste in my mouth. I surely know #80 has failed to follow the life lessons taught by coach Mags.

On a positive note, I actually felt a lot of pride when Nate Craft kicked the winning field goal. His grandfather, Glenn Bird passed last spring and was a lifelong mentor of mine. Couldn't have happened to a finer kid.

Congrats Salem and LT. Good luck to all of the teams in 2016. May all of the posters and their families have a safe holiday season.
Some fans on this board and in general need to be respectful of the play that the teams made on the field, Salem fans included. The players on the field & the coaches on the sideline decided the game not the fans in the stands or the referees. People on this board need to be reminded of that. "We" didn't do anything but cheer and hope that things worked out in our team's favor. If people on this board are blaming officials or getting a big head because your team won, realize how disrespectful both of you are being and what a disservice you are doing to your own team. The game was decided on the field by young men. Don't disrespect their effort and their accomplishments by making your posts about "me". There were 2 awesome teams out there giving their best effort, give them credit, you didn't do anything.

Basic principle....
Those who can, DO.
Those who can't, TALK about it (which includes ridicule, gripe, second guess, cuss, hate, Monday morning QB).

But what do I know? I'm guilty of it myself...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT