ADVERTISEMENT

This crap needs to stop. NOW!!

Someone said you can't fix stupid. I have know idea who the leaders are at that school, but I would assume they give "the talk" to all athletes each season in reference to hazing. Once again, parenting (or lack there-of) is the issue here IMO.

Someone said you can't fix stupid. I have know idea who the leaders are at that school, but I would assume they give "the talk" to all athletes each season in reference to hazing. Once again, parenting (or lack there-of) is the issue here IMO.
I respectfully disagree. The fear of devastating penalties is not there anymore. It needs to be.

Reactions: SFUWO
I respectfully disagree. The fear of devastating penalties is not there anymore. It needs to be.
From what I heard on the radio, these athletes are being charged with rape. When convicted that will follow them for the rest of their lives. That's a pretty stiff penalty which is warranted. As long as all the athletes are warned about this type of behavior, I don't agree with punishing the school....UNLESS someone in a leadership role knew anything about it and tried to cover it up.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
From what I heard on the radio, these athletes are being charged with rape. When convicted that will follow them for the rest of their lives. That's a pretty stiff penalty which is warranted. As long as all the athletes are warned about this type of behavior, I don't agree with punishing the school....UNLESS someone in a leadership role knew anything about it and tried to cover it up.
If they were being charged as adults I would agree with you. Slap on the wrist is what they will receive in juvenile court

Punishing the entire team is an excellent deterrent for abhorrent behavior. I hope those responsible are not allowed back in public school.

If they were being charged as adults I would agree with you. Slap on the wrist is what they will receive in juvenile court
I don't know that much about the law. I would still think if you're charged/convicted of rape that the punishment would be pretty tough. I think if you're 13 or older, you have a minimum of 5 years in the pokie.

I don't know that much about the law. I would still think if you're charged/convicted of rape that the punishment would be pretty tough. I think if you're 13 or older, you have a minimum of 5 years in the pokie.
If charged as an adult

Punishing the entire team is an excellent deterrent for abhorrent behavior. I hope those responsible are not allowed back in public school.
The idiots who do these kinds of things don't really care about the team. I don't think it would deter them in the least.

Put Mommy and Daddy in line of fire as well, and I bet a lot of this stuff would stop, they are minors and are the parents responsibility, hell, some parents consider school and sports (high school and youth) just a baby sitter, (not saying all parents, don't get it twisted people) its disgusting and a shame that anyone has to go through that

If you ever meet a coach that tells you they don't know everything that is going on with their program they are A) 100% lying, B) many levels of dumb and shouldn't allowed to ever hold a whistle much less coach, and C) 100% lying.

Coaches know EVERYTHING. Durkin knew about the environment he created at Maryland, JoePa knew about Sandusky, Urban knew he hired a wife beater, and your local HS coach knows everything about their program.

Stuff like this doesn't appear out of thin air, even in the minds of impulsive kids. That coach let something fester on his team to the point where one kid's life is forever impacted and the rest should be convicts. The fact that there were known rumors about a tradition of this tells you all you need to know about whether the HC knew or not.

Reactions: schoolboard
Have to disagree with punishing the entire team unless all were involved in some capacity. What people tend to forget when things happen is there are way more good/great kids/people then "bad" ones in just about every place in America. Good people of any age should never be punished by behaviors of others. Lumping all them into a punishment is not reasonable for kids who may be doing all the right things. I agree with the 2nd part as those individuals involved should never be allowed in the walls of the school again and should be tried as adults and not juveniles. Furthermore they need to be sent to an alternative ed site as they have forfeited their right to be with the rest of the student body.

@SFUWO and @86CulpGrad below is a synopsis of how things work in Virginia relative to this crime. It is Unclassified Felony which could carry 5-life in prison unless the victim was under the age of 13. Because of this there are several options available to the prosecutors:

If this crime had happened in Virginia and the the youth were over the age of 14 and charged with forcible rape they would be eligible to be tried as an adult. If requested by the Commonwealth Attorney a transfer/preliminary hearing would be held and if probable cause was found the subject(s) would be tried as an adult in Circuit Court. If the transfer was waived by the Commonwealth Attorney and the dependent(s) remained in the juvenile court the subjects if found guilty could be committed to the Department of Juvenile Justice as a serious offender for a maximum period of 7 years or until the age of 21. If convicted in adult court they would be required to register as a sex offender. If they remained in the juvenile court it would be up to the judge whether they would be required to register.

Basically, the penalties for juveniles are very stiff in Virginia for these type of crimes. In 30 years I have never seen anyone walk away with a light sentence if convicted of forcible rape.

How about instead of punishing other children we instead punish the adults with whom we entrust these kids to be with? Wouldn't it be a novel idea to hold coaches accountable?

How about instead of punishing other children we instead punish the adults with whom we entrust these kids to be with? Wouldn't it be a novel idea to hold coaches accountable?
I would agree. Just depends on the situation. A coach can do everything he can, but sometimes kids do dumb things anyway. If something was known and not reported, the coach is culpable.

The kids still are at fault. The more people that could be punished, the better oversight there would be to prevent these vile acts.

The kids still are at fault. The more people that could be punished, the better oversight there would be to prevent these vile acts.

I wasn't talking about the perpetrators, I was talking about the suggestion of punishing the rest of the team for essentially not watching their own when they are, in fact, just children and there is a whole damned set of adults put there specifically to guide and protect them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT