ADVERTISEMENT

This site is too quiet. State title game on Saturday.

Dec 2, 2013
Come on. Let's talk football. How many Red fans are out there? What's going to happen? Galax fans are you out there? Trevor Cash what do you think? Anyone with a thought? Crickets chirpin.

What are wanting to talk about? I think anyone that has said anything about this game knows it will be smash mouth. Two well coached and disciplined teams trying to impose their will on the other. I for one think it's a race to 21, first team there will win.

I agree. Should be good one. At least the weather will be good. Not like Giles a couple years back. -50 degrees. Wow. Very proud of the kids. I hope they can bring the trophy home for the school and the community.

When site gets too quiet, maybe everyone is running scared. To me this is the least interesting championship game in many years. A big drop off from Essex-Altavista last year.

When site gets too quiet, maybe everyone is running scared. To me this is the least interesting championship game in many years. A big drop off from Essex-Altavista last year.[/QUOTE
When site gets too quiet, maybe everyone is running scared. To me this is the least interesting championship game in many years. A big drop off from Essex-Altavista last year.
Youthink. Not as good as appo/clark? Two running teams going at it for all the marbles. I know you like the pass. I get it.

Come on. Let's talk football. How many Red fans are out there? What's going to happen? Galax fans are you out there? Trevor Cash what do you think? Anyone with a thought? Crickets chirpin.
CHIRP CHIRP, GO COWBOYS, CHIRP CHIRP GO BIG RED, I think u will see a lot of running, whoever can stop the other teams running game will win. CHIRP CHIRP

I thnnk VHSL should forbid any forward passes in HS football . Passing the ball just shows you are scared to hit somebody . Riverheads has no fear unlike a lot of spread teams ! This should be the best game in all of HS football this year !

The object is to win the game whether it be passing or running. To some run oriented teams are boring. Not to me. I love the old school smash mouth style. You know what is boring? A team trying to run the spread that doesn't have the athletes or a clue how to run it. Both Riverheads and Galax got here behind dominating run games. I'd be willing to bet and I'm sure both fan bases would agree that neither team would be here playing for a state title if they tried to run the spread. It's all about fitting your guys into the right system. And for the players they have the run game whether it be wing t or I formation fits them perfectly. I think it will be one of the better championship games this weekend.

Reactions: Bama1985
The best game will be Salem- Lake Taylor. No other game comes close to this one. That is where I be come Saturday.

The best game will be Salem- Lake Taylor. No other game comes close to this one. That is where I be come Saturday.

To get us BACK ON TOPIC (!), here are my thoughts on the Riverheads/Galax game. Of course keep in mind that I have the advantage of having seen RHS play 13 times already whereas I can only go on what I have read about Galax.

Riverheads this year has been an incredibly steady team. Nothing seems to unnerve them and I would think that is a most important quality to have in the pressure of a championship game. You would not even have to take your shoes and socks off to count the total number of turnovers they have had this season in those 13 games, and they were also hit with very few penalties. You are not going to see any cheap shots out of them and they will not make the mental mistakes such as the wrong person being on the field at the same time.

They withstood the pressure of the Buffalo Gap game, scoring twice in the final five minutes to win, and they also were put to the test against George Wythe. But they came through in both cases. So my point is that maintaining that same level of composure will take them a long way Saturday if they can do it.

They have won all three state finals they have been in, but of course none of these kids were in any of them, so that says more about the coaching than it does the players.

As for Galax, I get the impression that is a very tight community down there and that they will come in with a strong desire to win. And sometimes the sheer will to win any game can be just what is needed to get you over the hump. I personally saw them win an IMPOSSIBLE basketball game over Luray a few years ago, but again that has nothing to do with this football team.

Also I think we have read that they lost four of their first five games. If so, then they have quite the win streak going themselves. If injuries perhaps impacted those early losses, then it could be that they are just now beginning to round into full strength, which could make them that much more dangerous.

I won't get into the Xs and Os of the game, because that is my weak area. So I will just close by saying that I am sooooooo excited about the weather forecast and I just hope we have a game worth remembering. I welcome further comments on THIS game. (Wonder if he can take such a subtle hint?)

To me Riverheads program is an older more experienced Galax Program. Riverheads knows how to win and is competitive against any team. Both teams are going to prepare for what they think they are going to see on O and D. In the end the Kids are going to have to do the adjusting on the fly. It's going to be a match of brawn but at the end of the day the brains are going to be what wins the game.The linemen, the fullbacks, and the tailbacks need to get in the film room and be prepared for anything.

I thnnk VHSL should forbid any forward passes in HS football . Passing the ball just shows you are scared to hit somebody . Riverheads has no fear unlike a lot of spread teams ! This should be the best game in all of HS football this year !

Have you tried watching a rugby game. lol

Galax started 1-4 but they were all close losses to really good teams. 20-15 to Glenvar. 28-27 to GW. 35-24 to Giles and 33-26 to Radford. Those early losses against a difficult schedule is probably the springboard that has gotten them to where they are now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT