ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and prayers requested.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
First, please pray for the HSHS community as they grieve the loss of the young man from their high school. Words just can’t be found to say the right things to make sense of such a tragic and unnecessary loss.

Second, please keep our good friend and die hard Highland SprIngs fan and booster, Springer76, in your thoughts and prayers. He lost his Mother earlier this year, and has since lost four close friends. The most recent is Joe Simpkins. Joe was the Director of the Richmond Pops Band, that Springer has been a part of for 44 years.
Among the others he has lost recently was his life long best friend and constant companion at football games, Wendell Morris. I had the pleasure of meeting Wendell a time or two, and like Springer76, he was just one of those genuine nice guys that you are fortunate to get to know.

Life has been tough on all of us the last few years, but it has really been bad for Springer. Please leave him a kind word or two and let him know that you are thinking of him.

Keeping the Highland Springs community, basketball program and those that love the Springers in thoughts and prayers. Got to see the young man who passed away - Jahiem Dickerson - play basketball a bit in AAU and last year at Va. Wesleyan Team Camp. Seemed to have a bright future ahead of him and had heard he was going to try his hand at football. So sad and tragic.

Sorry to hear of those losses close to Springer76. Keeping him in my prayers like you DP.

Keeping the Highland Springs community, basketball program and those that love the Springers in thoughts and prayers. Got to see the young man who passed away - Jahiem Dickerson - play basketball a bit in AAU and last year at Va. Wesleyan Team Camp. Seemed to have a bright future ahead of him and had heard he was going to try his hand at football. So sad and tragic.

Sorry to hear of those losses close to Springer76. Keeping him in my prayers like you DP.
Thank you guys for your thoughts and prayers, 3 funerals in March, 3 more funerals in April. Our young basketball rising star will have a funeral very soon... my mother passed Jan. 7th.
2022 has not been kind. Looking forward to better times.

Didn’t realize we played in Pops Band together Springer! Joe was an exceptional guy. Sorry for all the loss you’ve experienced recently.
Hmmm, without revealing who you are, my curiosity has peeked! What instrument do you play? I was and still am one of the 1st clarinets and Eb Clarinet. I am still in disbelief that Joe is gone. He carried the personna that he would live forever! He passed way too soon. Only 68 yrs. old. We have a concert at Altria Theater June 19th. We are 6 weeks in rehearsal for it!!! Earl Schaffer will be taking over the conducting duties for this show, after that, it's a mystery at this point. Joey Simpkins was one of my best friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Hmmm, without revealing who you are, my curiosity has peeked! What instrument do you play? I was and still am one of the 1st clarinets and Eb Clarinet. I am still in disbelief that Joe is gone. He carried the personna that he would live forever! He passed way too soon. Only 68 yrs. old. We have a concert at Altria Theater June 19th. We are 6 weeks in rehearsal for it!!! Earl Schaffer will be taking over the conducting duties for this show, after that, it's a mystery at this point. Joey Simpkins was one of my best friends.

I played trombone in the group from 2017-19. Don’t live in the area anymore, live in Fredericksburg now. Yeah, 68 is way too young for sure. Joe had a personality that made him seem eternal, that’s for sure. I’m sure Earl will do a good job. I was wondering who is going to pick up the baton from Joe and keep it going. Should probably be one person to conduct and lead musically while another person or two should run the business side/outreach for the group. Joe wore many hats!

I played trombone in the group from 2017-19. Don’t live in the area anymore, live in Fredericksburg now. Yeah, 68 is way too young for sure. Joe had a personality that made him seem eternal, that’s for sure. I’m sure Earl will do a good job. I was wondering who is going to pick up the baton from Joe and keep it going. Should probably be one person to conduct and lead musically while another person or two should run the business side/outreach for the group. Joe wore many hats!
I'm pretty sure something like that will happen. Earl is a remarkable musician and person! Tons of experience too. He has committed to do this concert coming up and I'm sure he will be the #1 person on the "wish list" as permanent conductor, even though there are several others that can do it well! There will be several meetings I' m sure in the near future. I'm glad to know that you and I have this in common other than High School football! Take care and keep in touch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT