ADVERTISEMENT

Harsh Stone Bridge Bulldog Criticism

why hasn't Phoebus stepped out of the state to play an out of state power. Springers,Freedom,Stone Bridge,Oscar Smith all have. I would love to see Mater Dei at darling stadium.
$$$$ is the travel issue

And a lot of people don’t realize Phoebus splits money with 3 schools if they play games like that at Darling. We have one spot to fill on our schedule because we are locked in to 9 teams (we have BEGGED to drop 2). Filled our free game with Lake Taylor and Oscar Smith the last 5 seasons. We will play a big team next year but it has to make $$$ sense.

Reactions: TDKLIGHTSOUT
Speaking of playing out of state. Hey Kenneth, you are a student of the game. Do you know what Virginia High School team is credited with playing in a game that was to become the Gator Bowl?
Great question! I will be honest, say no that I do not and not research it.

But Boyd didn't win a National Championship. Swinney hasn't won one in a few years now. Why should Coach Thompson retire? He is still producing. Not every school can win at the same rate as Phoebus. If they they could it wouldn't make what Phoebus has done special. Coach Thompson has 3 championship wins with 2 being a back to back. I am a Phoebus fan and admire their program but I cannot hate on a Coach that is producing like Coach Thompson. Stone Bridge has literally had to contend with 2 dynasty's(Springers/Phantoms) and one up and coming one(Maury). Winning 3 during that is actually kind of great.
What does rebuilding mean to you? I know Boyd didn’t win a title. He was the rebuilding part. It is not hate on Coach Thompson. For the umpteenth time, I have loved Stone Bridge since the first time I saw them when they played Hampton in 2005. I was at the game. There were diehard Crabber fans that absolutely impressed with Coach Thompson and his team. I don’t think there is anything that can be posted about any team negative or positive and satisfy everyone. If you don’t know I picked Salem to beat LT Titans and 2015 and noted that 3 national publications had 2015 Salem ranked over LT in contradiction to VaPreps senior editor Rod Johnson. Do you know what the response was? I was called a 4 year old idiot and a Salem fan agreed with that assessment of me. There have been no apologies. So I am past stroking feelings. I feel like for SB to improve their finals performances they need new leadership. The Bulldogs need an entirely new staff and offense.

During the 1980 JV season I suffered a blackout concussion while playing for Phoebus against the Bethel Bruins. A terribly painful concussion. I made it back to end the season but I was very tentative after the head injury. In 1980 there was no medical treatment for concussions and I was 16 years old. On my last play in a Phoebus uniform I was going for an interception against Lafayette. The ball was coming right to me. But. As I was positioning myself to catch the ball I saw our strong safety out the corner of my eye. I was the free safety. The strong safety was also our quarterback. I repositioned myself to protect him and start blocking. Paul Jackson intercepted the ball and I protected him by blocking, the clock ran out on the Rams and we won. The quarterback coach that coached Freshman M. Banks in Saturday’s D4 championship game was my quarterback that threw passes to me on the 1980 Phoebus JV team because I was also the only starting wide receiver. I quit playing football after my freshman year because I knew I was in danger of a more serious head injury if I continued to play. Today I am still rooting for my quarterback. Paul Jackson is still my quarterback. The headaches and blurry vision have stopped somewhat. Quitting is not always a bad thing.

What does rebuilding mean to you? I know Boyd didn’t win a title. He was the rebuilding part. It is not hate on Coach Thompson. For the umpteenth time, I have loved Stone Bridge since the first time I saw them when they played Hampton in 2005. I was at the game. There were diehard Crabber fans that absolutely impressed with Coach Thompson and his team. I don’t think there is anything that can be posted about any team negative or positive and satisfy everyone. If you don’t know I picked Salem to beat LT Titans and 2015 and noted that 3 national publications had 2015 Salem ranked over LT in contradiction to VaPreps senior editor Rod Johnson. Do you know what the response was? I was called a 4 year old idiot and a Salem fan agreed with that assessment of me. There have been no apologies. So I am past stroking feelings. I feel like for SB to improve their finals performances they need new leadership. The Bulldogs need an entirely new staff and offense.
So beating Highland Springs and Maury in consecutive seasons 2 years ago means nothing? Stone Bridge is very well coached. Why are we acting like Coach Thompson has the most talent in the state and is just letting them down. They have good talent that is being coached up. Coach Thompson getting to that many championship games IS a accomplishment. Regarding Boyd and Swinney, I was making a point that not winning a championship is good to you when it involves Boyd so why not Coach Thompson. I was in the stands that day when Phoebus won their first Championship back in 2001(I later watched Dale take a beat down to Robinson) I know Phoebus is special . Winning 10 chips is special. Not every high school can do that. There are many coaches across all sports that never even get to a championship game so winning 3 should not be frowned upon. Hampton being impressed by Stone Bridge is good and all but what about Meadowbrook 2004. Hampton could not stop them all in the second half. The difference between SB and the Brook is that Coach Thompson still has a relevant team in SB. Winning just 2 years ago is not a reason to quit.

Great question! I will be honest, say no that I do not and not research it.
On New Years Day, 1933, Coach Roland Day took the Petersburg Crimson Wave to Jacksonville Florida and played. This event later evolved into a college game and is now known as the Gator Bowl.

• Love
Reactions: Kenneth Harris
So beating Highland Springs and Maury in consecutive seasons 2 years ago means nothing? Stone Bridge is very well coached. Why are we acting like Coach Thompson has the most talent in the state and is just letting them down. They have good talent that is being coached up. Coach Thompson getting to that many championship games IS a accomplishment. Regarding Boyd and Swinney, I was making a point that not winning a championship is good to you when it involves Boyd so why not Coach Thompson. I was in the stands that day when Phoebus won their first Championship back in 2001(I later watched Dale take a beat down to Robinson) I know Phoebus is special . Winning 10 chips is special. Not every high school can do that. There are many coaches across all sports that never even get to a championship game so winning 3 should not be frowned upon. Hampton being impressed by Stone Bridge is good and all but what about Meadowbrook 2004. Hampton could not stop them all in the second half. The difference between SB and the Brook is that Coach Thompson still has a relevant team in SB. Winning just 2 years ago is not a reason to quit.
You are absolutely correct with your points and I still hold the opinion that SB can grow but require new leadership. I just think the days of coaches staying put for 30, 40-50 years is a relic from days done gone by. Coach Thompson might even serve the Stone Bridge community and program as a whole from a different position. I was on Meadowbrook's sideline getting jostled around by 200+ pound football players..., no wait, screaming football players when the ball was knocked away at the 1 yard line.

Stone Bridge has one of the best 18 year runs in Virginia high school football history. The way they did it this year was very creative. Having to play the Matoaca "Lost To The Warhill Lions" Warriors to advance was a bit of a flat ballon moment.

Just use your imaginations and consider a Stone Bridge Bulldogs team with a shiny, sparkly, hot young brand new stud muffin of a brand new head coach, that Coach Thompson will secretly hate and no more wing t-ing it. The Phoebus Phantoms did it man! Change might hurt a little! They fired the first head coach to win 3 straight championships after taking over as head coach and now the new guy is doing it his way, on his terms after REBUILDING the program! Change is good! Bill Dee walked away on top! I thought the world stopped spinning when I first heard he left Phoebus. I didn't get to play for him. You should ask what was going on at Phoebus before he got there. So there are 2 precedents for Coach Thompson either quitting and leaving or being given the hold heave-ho. Either way, more success can be found on the other side.

I’m amazed at folks who lack the perspective to see that a coach taking his team to NINE state title games can’t possibly be a “failure”. Y’all weird.
And I hate being right again. Perspective sometimes means being able to see around corners while riding the biggest waves and following nobody. Try it. Write a post. Disagree with everybody. Have an original thought. It does not hurt. I promise.

Explain how you were right.
My friend I am never right about anything. If you pay attention to VaPreps you will find that people will go after anyone that does not trend towards their beliefs. They never admit to anyone being right about anything and never will they admit to being wrong. Some posters also don't like being reminded of the antisocial and VaPreps online rule breaking behavior of former senior editor; Rod Johnson, who ended up working directly with Virginia high school students. And we routinely wonder why students act in adverse ways! Westfield High School, for example, is more known for drug activity than for producing NFL talent. My point is that it is odd that we live in a world where if you do not fall in line with what everyone else says or thinks then you are deemed wrong. This is no matter how right, wrong you are labeled. People are more offended by the person that calls out problems than the actually problem! Example you ask? A great number of high school football teams in America are controlled by an organization that covered up child sex crimes! Do you know who I am talking about? This organization is typically the parents first choice when considering a better opportunity for the football playing son. Since that is true is it any wonder that you cannot go to a high school football game in America without being required to go through more security than when trying to enter an American military base!? I digress. Warning people about anything is pointless because people do not believe anything until it is way too late. The main reason for originally stating Coach Thompson should quit is because it is simply an unpopular opinion. A social experiment. Popularity and fame has nothing to do with right and wrong. Who brought up the topic of Coach Mickey Thompson walking away and opening up the Stone Bridge head coaching position for change? Who? You tell me since it wasn't me that brought up the topic. Another football season approaches. The primary controller of many American High School Football teams is an organization that covered up child sex crimes and refuses to publicly apologize for it or any of the negative world affecting global crimes that they have committed. I believe that Stone Bridge Bull Dogs Head Football Coach Mickey Thompson should quit. Or retire. Or just leave.

Oh ok, hadn’t thought about it that way before.
When I go to any high school football game or sporting event, especially college and pros for that matter, I am least concerned about concealed weapons and more aware that many of the people that are there unapologetically support and make excuses for multiple organizations that are guilty of committing child sex crimes or covering up those crime and will not hesitate to turn their sons over to said groups and organizations if it means gaining just one half of an inch of an edge over your son. This is the real world. We are surrounded by these people. You enjoy the coming spring.

My friend I am never right about anything. If you pay attention to VaPreps you will find that people will go after anyone that does not trend towards their beliefs. They never admit to anyone being right about anything and never will they admit to being wrong. Some posters also don't like being reminded of the antisocial and VaPreps online rule breaking behavior of former senior editor; Rod Johnson, who ended up working directly with Virginia high school students. And we routinely wonder why students act in adverse ways! Westfield High School, for example, is more known for drug activity than for producing NFL talent. My point is that it is odd that we live in a world where if you do not fall in line with what everyone else says or thinks then you are deemed wrong. This is no matter how right, wrong you are labeled. People are more offended by the person that calls out problems than the actually problem! Example you ask? A great number of high school football teams in America are controlled by an organization that covered up child sex crimes! Do you know who I am talking about? This organization is typically the parents first choice when considering a better opportunity for the football playing son. Since that is true is it any wonder that you cannot go to a high school football game in America without being required to go through more security than when trying to enter an American military base!? I digress. Warning people about anything is pointless because people do not believe anything until it is way too late. The main reason for originally stating Coach Thompson should quit is because it is simply an unpopular opinion. A social experiment. Popularity and fame has nothing to do with right and wrong. Who brought up the topic of Coach Mickey Thompson walking away and opening up the Stone Bridge head coaching position for change? Who? You tell me since it wasn't me that brought up the topic. Another football season approaches. The primary controller of many American High School Football teams is an organization that covered up child sex crimes and refuses to publicly apologize for it or any of the negative world affecting global crimes that they have committed. I believe that Stone Bridge Bull Dogs Head Football Coach Mickey Thompson should quit. Or retire. Or just leave.
People want to believe and back what is easy. Truth isn't always easy or popular. Btw, I've eaten so much crow on these boards I'm starting to grow feathers.

Is criticism allowed on VirginiaPreps? People are so easily offended by anyone and anything that does not fall in line with group/influencer hive mind-like agreement. Here are my thoughts from my own mind. Following the Hail Mary that gave Stone Bridge a 27-21 walk off state title over Maury in 2021 one commentator stated that Coach Mickey Thompson had exorcised his East Region demons. Well, no he has not. Between 2005-2023 the Bulldogs have faced the Hampton Crabbers, Phoebus Phantoms, Lake Taylor Titans and Maury Commodores. Their record? 2-7, which includes a 2007 38-24 home playoff win over the Phantoms that required a 2nd half surge brought on by numerous Phoebus miscues. 2-7 is the definition of failure. Why does Stone Bridge keep making it through to the finals only to lose? In 2006 and 2011 they lost to the Edison Eagles and South County Stallions who would both go on to lose in the finals to…The Phoebus Phantoms. There are those that say Mickey Thompson is the best head coach in Virginia. No he is not. Mike Smith of the Hampton Crabbers, who no longer coaches, sits on top of the Virginia high school football mountain alone and no one will ever sit next to him. Behind him? The late Bill Dee who started building Phoebus up in the mid-1980s when previously they had been nothing more than a perennial homecoming opponent. I think Coach Thompson should consider passing the baton. Nothing is going to change for the better at Stone Bridge until changes are made. 9-5 and giving up 45 points in the finals is not better. Right now they are 2-7 in 18 years against the east region. Factor in Highland Springs if you would like to. They lose these games against the east by an average score of 26-19. That is not successful. I hope that whoever you are that you hate reading this and that you hate me more for writing it.
On point!

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
Everytime Phoebus loses or plays a tough game you write it up as “Phoebus miscues”
Prove it. If you can prove this comment or if your little cosigner that liked your comment can prove it before the start of the next football season I will dance an old timey jig to a fancy southern tune the next time Stone Bridge wins a state championship that does not require a 4th quarter comeback or walk off Hail Mary pass but also with a brand new shiny stud muffin head ball coach not named Mickey Thompson, Ryan Thompson or British Pop band; Thompson Twins. Otherwise, you do know what to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT