ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this article I saw on Yahoo? I would play em anyway!

Reactions: wikki and obguthr
I don't like the idea of mixing public and private schools, because of the recruiting aspect. There's a reason we don't regularly have 6A teams playing 1A teams. It's because the potential pool of talent is bigger with a 6A school vs. a 1A school. Can you imagine Rappahannock County playing Westfield? No one would consider that fair, but at least Westfield is limited to fielding a team of players that are eligible to attend based on Fairfax county's attendance rules. Private schools, regardless of enrollment size, hypothetically have access to an even larger and selective pool than 6A.

I agree with you guys, I wonder is the school is in the same division? You know what im saying? Im talking about LCA playing in the 4A. Now if this was like an LCA vs. William Campbell. I would probably be like HECK TO THE NAH!!! Clarkefan, yall had a bigger stronger team than us last year. they article said they had 3 250 pounders and 2 300 pounders. if that is the case, we shouldnt have played Richlands or yall last year, right?
Article needs a lil more details.

Reactions: Tom Potter
I've warmed to the idea of private schools playing in public school league..but on the condition that they're non-sectarian. The Fishburne's and Fuqua's of the world, even Severn School etc, up in Maryland for example.

But lets face a fact here, the issues come with the schools that claim to be religiously affiliated, mostly catholic schools, are the ones that recruit shamelessly (O'Connell, Ireton, OLGC, RC, etc..etc..) And, of course, Lynchburg Athletic Academy..er..LCA.

I've warmed to the idea of private schools playing in public school league..but on the condition that they're non-sectarian. The Fishburne's and Fuqua's of the world, even Severn School etc, up in Maryland for example.

But lets face a fact here, the issues come with the schools that claim to be religiously affiliated, mostly catholic schools, are the ones that recruit shamelessly (O'Connell, Ireton, OLGC, RC, etc..etc..) And, of course, Lynchburg Athletic Academy..er..LCA.
lol @ Lynchburg Athletic Academy

Reactions: wikki
Yea well it's the best I could come up with since what I stated LCA actually stood for a while back got deleted by the admins LOL!!

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Part of this equation has to involve the AD's and coaches who are scheduling this Big, Bad, Dangerous private school, no?

Or is this strictly parents saying they are tooooo big and strong for our weak, puny, not motivated or invested in our schools football program, sons?

Which is it?

OR is it a combination?

The article is a little vague to say the least. "18 players over 200 pounds, 6 over 250, 3 over 300"...so? Advocates' raiders (according to maxpreps) have 17 over 200, 7 over 250, & 2 over 300. Dan River 18, 5, 2 respectively. Amherst has 20, 9, 2 respectively. These were the only area teams I could find with weights listed. Teams aren't forfeiting against them. I realize these are all very good teams, but they also are beating people with their athletes as much as anything else. My point is I think there is more to this than what the article is saying.

I agree with you guys, I wonder is the school is in the same division? You know what im saying? Im talking about LCA playing in the 4A. Now if this was like an LCA vs. William Campbell. I would probably be like HECK TO THE NAH!!! Clarkefan, yall had a bigger stronger team than us last year. they article said they had 3 250 pounders and 2 300 pounders. if that is the case, we shouldnt have played Richlands or yall last year, right?
Article needs a lil more details.
If you look at the roster from the championship game, I would say we were pretty evenly matched with Appomattox in the weight department as far as the number of kids who were 300 pounders or 250 pounders, so that argument about not playing each other doesn't hold water.

Now, I did a little more looking into the article. Specifically I looked at the rosters of all of the opponents the Private school has played and the record of those opponents on maxpreps. I call bullshit on the article. There is something else going on entirely, it has nothing to do with the "weight issue". The AD's of these schools have buyers' remorse for scheduling the Private school because they are completely dominating everyone they play. Therefore, I've changed my mind on this. They scheduled em, they should play em.

I still say Private schools should not be playing public schools, and home schooled kids should not be allowed to participate in public school extra-curricular activities.

I didn't think the size of the players for the private school was that big of a deal, but what do the rosters of the public schools look like by comparison? Here in VA, there are 1A teams with beefy lineman like this year's GW squad, but that's not typical. I mainly follow 1A/2A and sub 200 pound linemen are not uncommon. Should they forfeit games? No, they shouldn't schedule them if it can be avoided.

Some private schools are just sports academies. LCA is not. It is a Christian school that happens to have athletic program.

Some private schools are just sports academies. LCA is not. It is a Christian school that happens to have athletic program.

Since when did you become a butt-kisser for that place? It was not that long ago you were blasting them for wanting to come to the VHSL and now you're loving all up on them. Did they reach into their infinite pockets to pay you to take up for them, lol??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT