ADVERTISEMENT

Tie Breaker

MaroonDude

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 19, 2018
What is the tie breaker for playoffs? Like if JF and Salem end up tied for points?

If both teams play the same amount of games then it's a coin toss unless the region has a different tiebreaker. @VHSL-helper if you know something different let us know. I know Halifax got the eighth seed over Pulaski in D based on the numbers of games played.

All regions are bound by the rules in the Handbook.

Rule 68-4-8 states the rules to decide the tie breaker.

Those rules are comprehensive, but do not include a “coin flip.” The very last option is to “draw lots”, which I guess could be interpreted as a coin flip.

There is no provision for any deviation from the tie breaker process by the Regions.

With respect to my post above, I was incorrect. The option to deviate is NOT available to the Regions.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Hopefully, I got it correct this time. I apologize about the coin toss issue. So upon looking at the rule it looks like the Region would have to use tie breaker G. Rating average of opponents. Currently Salem would hold the tiebreaker 22.1526 to 21.69976 for Jefferson Forest.

According to playoff format it states power points determine seeding unless Region has determined another format. So does that mean the Region can deside tie breaker how they deem fit?

Does JV record count for anything? Salem only has one JV loss. What is JF's JV record?

I can't imagine it does (or why it would) but JF's JV has only lost once as well. To SR oddly enough (guessing they had key injuries or kids moved up to varsity? They started 4-0, dominating everyone (except JF which they won 8-6) then struggled mightily.

Reactions: MaroonDude
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT