ADVERTISEMENT

Game Recap Tigers Escape Bulldogs Jaws, Hall Stands Out

TheSel2

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Apr 29, 2003
Brunswick_1.jpg

Treyvon Hall was unstoppable on defense for Sussex Central all night.

SUSSEX- Last week Brunswick took Park View into 4 overtimes and just fell shot from upsetting the Dragons. Tonight they faced another rival and they came in with all the confidence in the world. That confidence proved to be the difference early. As Brunswick looked focused on returning the favor of spoiling Sussex Central's homecoming like the Tigers did theirs last season.

The opening drive gave no indication that defense would rule the night as Sussex Central's Trevon Hatch easily raced for a 45-yard touchdown not even a minute into the game to make it 6-0 Tigers. The conversion would be no good and now it was Brunswick's chance to respond.

Brunswick_8.jpg

Jadeen Person was the extra dimension that kept the Tigers in check early.

Respond they would! Jadeen Person would make a perfect read and keep the ball for a 56-yard touchdown run. Brunswick would get their conversion to give them an 8-6 lead with 10:13 left to play in the first. Neither team would be able to sustain a drive until later in the 2nd quarter. When Person would find Sharmaine Alexander on a 4th down in the middle of the endzone for a great catch. Even the conversion was great as Jayvonte Elder would flipped a pass to Malik Hicks to give Brunswick a commanding 16-6 lead with 4:25 left until halftime.

The Bulldogs would not be satisfied as Isreal Reavis Jr. would make a great grab down the visitors sideline to give Brunswick an opportunity to extend the lead but in a blink of an eye the game would change. Treyvon Hall would come off the edge untouched and would lay a big hit on Person who would fumble. Jalen Augcomfar would scoop up the fumble and race 78-yards for the touchdown to make it 16-12 Bulldogs. Person would not return.

Brunswick_10.jpg

Hall's big hit on Person was a turning point in the game which led to Jalen Augcomfar's td.

With the rain increasing, Brunswick looked to punt the ball out of their bad field position when disaster would strike again. Hall for Sussex Central recover the block punt and run it in for the lead taking score to make it 18-16 Tigers.

Hall was the most dominant player on the field where he had 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and a blocked punt to go with his defensive score to win the game.

Brunswick_15.jpg

Hall scoops up the blocked punt and goes in for the lead taking touchdown.

From that point on Brunswick would not be able to be a threat to retake the lead as the Tiger defense would be more than enough to move on from their rival to move to 8-0. Brunswick fell to 2-5 but could be very dangerous in the playoffs as they are expected to qualify.

"We are finally putting it all together at the right time and I like our chances." Coach Harold WIlliams of Brunswick in regards to the post season.

The Bulldogs travel to Surry in a key game that could affect the playoff hopes of the Cougars. Sussex Central will travel to face another rival but on the road in Emporia to face off with Greensville County.

Hatch led all rushers as he had 18 carries for 98 yards and a score. (Photo Gallery to post Sunday)

BRUNSWICK 8 8 0 0 - 16
SUSSEX CENTRAL 6 6 6 0 - 18

SC-Hatch 46 yard run (run failed)
B- Person 56 yard run (James Phillips pass from Person)
B-Alexander 13 yard pass from Person (Hicks pass from Elder)
SC- Augcomfar 78 yard fumble return (run failed)
SC- Hall 10 yard block punt return (run failed)

Brunswick_12.jpg

Brunswick's Malik Hicks makes a great catch and was stripped by Treyvon Hall of Sussex.

KING WILLIAM 42 MIDDLESEX 14
The Chargers had even things up 14-14 with two great runs by Raquan Marshall and they had the momentum. The Cavaliers Ryan Huffman when then find Will Stewart for an 80 yard touchdown to go up 20-14 at the half. In the second half it would be Brenon Sawdy rushing for 3 scores to put the Chargers away. Sawdy had 159 yards rushing on the night. King William faces rival West Point on Friday.

OTHER SCORES
Charles City 68 King & Queen 0
Colonial Beach 41 Northumberland 22
Essex 56 Lancaster 22
Franklin 36 Greensville Co. 12
Nandua 35 Arcadia 27
Park View-South Hill 39 Surry Co. 0
Quantico 35 Northampton 21
Southampton 56 Windsor 0
Washington & Lee 38 Rappahannock 30
West Point 50 Mathews 8

EXTRA POINT
All the teams ahead of Park View-South Hill lost in the 3A East lost Friday night (Brentsville, Phoebus, and Lakeland). The Dragons will host Southampton on this coming Friday in a game they could have them jump higher in the ratings and lock up a better seed.

Surry and Lancaster will be feeling the pressure to deliver with Charles City and West Point coming on strong to grab a spot in the playoffs. Both teams have a tough final two games while Charles City and West Point maybe setting up for a win or go home in the season finale.

Planning to watch the Tigers take on Surry on Friday . Not going to waste my gas money to watch the Red Team put 63 on Stonewall . Can anyone tell me the best place for Good Seafood close to Sussex ?

The croaker spot in Petersburg VA near Virginia state university or you can head south on I95 to Roanoke rapids north Carolina to a place called the mayflower both places are great choices the croaker spot is the closest but it depends on which direction you are coming from but the mayflower will pile your plate up you cant lose with either one.

The croaker spot in Petersburg VA near Virginia state university or you can head south on I95 to Roanoke rapids north Carolina to a place called the mayflower both places are great choices the croaker spot is the closest but it depends on which direction you are coming from but the mayflower will pile your plate up you cant lose with either one.
Coming from the Valley , I 64 East to Richmond then to Sussex . The Croaker sounds like it might be in route . Thanks

Coming from the Valley , I 64 East to Richmond then to Sussex . The Croaker sounds like it might be in route . Thanks
Yeah once you past Richmond you got to past through Petersburg to get to Sussex have a safe trip make sure you try of the corn bread.

Planning to watch the Tigers take on Surry on Friday . Not going to waste my gas money to watch the Red Team put 63 on Stonewall . Can anyone tell me the best place for Good Seafood close to Sussex ?

Sussex play at Greensville this Friday. They play Surry in the season finale.

Reactions: smallandfast
Sussex plays Greensville on Friday. Max Preps must didn't have it on their schedule

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT