ADVERTISEMENT

Tipped Ball Question

Apr 20, 2006
What is the correct ruling on this play.

Offensive player standing behind the arc attempts a pass when it is deflected by a defensive player standing inside the arc. The deflected ball goes through the offensive teams basket. Is this 2 points or 3? Also, would it have made any difference if the offensive player was shooting instead of passing? By the way, the officials ruled after a huddle that is was a 2 point basket.

Thanks!

While first thinking the refs were correct in this case, I'm editing my original post because I have now found a play cited in the 2011-12 Casebook (5.2.1 C) that seems to say it could be a 3 pt goal. More later....

This post was edited on 12/13 2:04 PM by gymrat10

This post was edited on 12/13 2:05 PM by gymrat10

This post was edited on 12/13 2:06 PM by gymrat10

Should have been socred a three. Rule 5.2.1 in the 2012-13 Case Book also. What the refs could have been thinking on this play was, if a defensive palyer throws a ball at the wrong basket from outside the three point arc it is a two. In this situation the throw is not considered a try for a goal.

My question involved definition of "throw", where officials judge a pass occurred, would it still be a three?

The way the case book reads is as long as it comes from behind the arc, it will be counted as a three. If an offensive player throws a last second ball from mid court and a defensive player barely tips the ball as it leaves his hand, it should a three.W I would paste the rule, but VaPreps will not let me do it,not even in Classic Editor

The case book says if A 1 throws the ball.

This post was edited on 12/13 4:41 PM by bowlingref

There's still element of judgement involved here where officials must decide if ball had a legitimate chance to go in basket, whether it looked like a shot attempt or a pass. The OP said in his play it was a pass, so I'm assuming it was NOT a lob pass of some type towards the basket that had a chance to go in the hoop. Such a pass that is deflected or, better said, re-directed into the basket, would be, as correctly ruled, only 2 points.

The pass was not a lob towards the basket. It was a skip pass from the right wing towards the opposite corner that was redirected into the basket. Is a tipped 3 point shot by a defensive player standing inside the arc a 2 or 3 pointer. Example. A 3 point shot from the wing is partially deflected by a defensive player standing on the arc and the ball banks in.

In your second situation, differing from the OP, the basket would be a 3 ptr, regardless of whether the defender that does the tipping was inside or outside the arc.

The difference comes in that the pass never had a chance to enter the goal from above UNLESS it was deflected. Since it was deemed to not have a chance to go in from above it is ruled a 2pt goal. All the other scenarios you have listed are correctly scored 3 points. A lob for alley oop has a chance to go in the goal from above so it is scored a 3 if not interfered with. A shot that is deflected or tipped is a throw/try that the intent is to score 3 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT