ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Winning Richmond Region Coaches - Playoffs

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Here is a list of the top ten coaches with the most wins in the playoffs in the Richmond Region since 1970. Those in bold are active coaches.

1st Coach David Bedwell - LC Bird & Henrico - 26-13 - 2-1 In State Final
2nd Coach Vic Williams - Thomas Dale - 21-11 - 1-2 In State Final
3rd Coach Ray Long - Patrick Henry - 21-15 - 1-2 In State Final
4th Coach Pat Manuel - Matoaca - 14-11 - 0-1 In State Final
5th Coach Patrick Kane - Hermitage - 12-10 - 0-1 In State Final
6th Coach Billy Mills - Dinwiddie - 11-7 - 1-1 In State Final
7th Coach Marshall Parker - Hopewell - 11-10 - 1-0 In State Final
8th Coach Josh Just - Hanover - 10-7
9th Coach Ed Bulheller - Varina - 9-5 - 0-1 In State Final
10th Coach Gary Chilcoat - Varina - 9-7 - 0-1 in State Final
11th Coach Richard McFee - Huguenot - 9-13 - 0-1 In State Final

This list probably short changes some coaches from the 70's who probably would have been on here had they had a playoff system like it is now or like it was only a few years ago.

For quite a while there were no divisions and no wild cards. For a while there, I believe, only the Central District and Capital District Champions went to the playoffs. They played each other and then went to state final four. You would win state and only get three wins, and there was only one title to get, not a D5 and a D6.

Not that it's easy to do, but you could crack this list now in two seasons and you could move into 4th in 3 seasons. Bedwell's 26-13 record is pretty amazing, but three years ago he was 13-13. He pulled away from the field in a hurry and he's only had two seasons of the new super-sized playoffs.

In a few years we're going to have a coach with 45 or so, but it's apples to oranges in my opinion.

What I found interesting was that Coach Just who is now the AD at Hanover cracked the list and actually had more wins than say a Chilcoat or Bullheller. What led me to do this list was that I knew Bedwell with the past two seasons and now this season had racked up some wins so I was curious to see how he stood up against some of the other great coaches from the region. As you say though, in the 70's and even for much of the 80's, playoffs didn't have the number of teams they obviously do now but even under the old system.

For much of the 70's it was just two teams from the region as you referenced until we got to the mid-70's and they expanded to three. I believe it was 1978 where they finally went to four teams. Even then, from 1978 to 1985 you had four teams.

How many does Jim Woodson at Powhatan have? I know its not the old Central Region, but is as much the Richmond area as Dinwiddie and Hopewell.

Courtesy of VHSL-Reference as I don't keep Powhatan stats myself, 28-20 record under Woodson in playoffs with 2 state titles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT