ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 worst high schools in Virginia

I couldn't even get it to go past #10.

Like you, I wonder what the criteria was. The whole site is just junk to sell advertising. I try to make sure I avoid any company that advertises on such a crappy site.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The idea that James Monroe is the worst high school in Virginia is an absurd farce, I don’t care what criteria is used. Shouldn’t even be ona list of the top 200 worst schools in Va!

No offense to you @OCBoy but this list is crap. Of course all schools aren't equal, but neither is the funding.
I seen it today at work and I was like what is this junk. Figured I’d share it to see if anyone else seen or knew the criteria. It’s probably fake news

Last edited:
Surprised to see James Monroe HS, but since I traveled all over Virginia for over 25 years the others do make sense. Worked in Richmond and everyone gets into the Henrico, Hanover and Chesterfield districts to avoid.

Reactions: OCBoy
But this list is crap. They basically took a list of schools that are 85% minority plus and made the list. TeeJay is one of the best high schools in Richmond (other than Maggie Walker and Open) with a lot of intelligent kids and James Monroe??? LOL!! List is the most absurd I’ve seen.

Last edited:
Not sure how they chose these schools. I checked the DOE website and some of these schools struggle with SOL testing, but not all. Would love to know the formula. Violence, funding, % of graduates????

Petersburg is not a traditionally strong academic school, so that one does not suprise me. Sussex County just may be the worst in our area.

Yea these top 10 ,worst 10, you didn't know 10 have became big click bait in ads on websites. Lots of times it shoddy work. They just want to get you to there site.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
This is the most ridiculous poll i have ever heard! Dont know how they got the results but JM is never the worst school in virginia and never will be! People up here pay tuition for their kids to go to JM! Someone should find out the criteria they used for such a poll! Drop out rate, crime rate of the kids,graduation rate most expelled kids or suspended students or what did they go by?

A whole lot of dynamics go into being the worst school. I’m no race baitor by any means but this list is aimed to pick on the black schools. What they get out of putting James Monroe and Heritage Lynchburg (2 very nice high schools with problems laughable to some of the schools I know of), I don’t know. Quality of education and facilities have absolutely nothing to do with this... If we’re being 100, all public schools education quality is trash because it is taught to a test (SOL). Education quality is the same at Hood Rich High School as it is I Have A Nice Inheritance High School, those kids (at the higher socioeconomic school) are just afforded more excess and opportunities. As an educator myself I find any list like this to be bullsh*t & highly disrespectful. Though I agree that students are bad everywhere, only a few of us who actually work with kids on a daily basis, know that most of these kids are set up to fail and though I’m zero tolerance for excuses, I believe in mitigating factor. A great deal of these kids have it tough. They have to overcome a lot. In my 1 year of working hands on with students I’ve seen a lot and learned a lot on how the education system works. It’s not all the students’ fault. Don’t get me wrong, 95% of them needs a good ole fashion drill instructor on their a$$ every day, all 8 hours of school. Kids need to be instilled respect for authority and the rules. They also need to be shown, hey somebody loves me. This list is garbage! Best thing to do with this is keep it where it’s at. F A K E NEWS!

Last edited:
Reactions: lancerbob
While I know of a few that are 10-times worse than any on that list, I don't think it serves any purpose to dog schools like that....in this kind of forum anyway.
I posted hoping someone could tell me the criteria. If the shoe fits for that school based on a certain criteria then they can wear that shoe

I posted hoping someone could tell me the criteria. If the shoe fits for that school based on a certain criteria then they can wear that shoe
In my day ( that’s quite a while ago) and in a different state the criteria was the % of students in each Senior class that went on to 4 year colleges. In my old HS way back then it was an unbelievable 85% by today’s standard. I’m not sure what is today here, guessing maybe 50%???

A whole lot of dynamics go into being the worst school. I’m no race baitor by any means but this list is aimed to pick on the black schools. What they get out of putting James Monroe and Heritage Lynchburg (2 very nice high schools with problems laughable to some of the schools I know of), I don’t know. Quality of education and facilities have absolutely nothing to do with this... If we’re being 100, all public schools education quality is trash because it is taught to a test (SOL). Education quality is the same at Hood Rich High School as it is I Have A Nice Inheritance High School, those kids (at the higher socioeconomic school) are just afforded more excess and opportunities. As an educator myself I find any list like this to be bullsh*t & highly disrespectful. Though I agree that students are bad everywhere, only a few of us who actually work with kids on a daily basis, know that most of these kids are set up to fail and though I’m zero tolerance for excuses, I believe in mitigating factor. A great deal of these kids have it tough. They have to overcome a lot. In my 1 year of working hands on with students I’ve seen a lot and learned a lot on how the education system works. It’s not all the students’ fault. Don’t get me wrong, 95% of them needs a good ole fashion drill instructor on their a$$ every day, all 8 hours of school. Kids need to be instilled respect for authority and the rules. They also need to be shown, hey somebody loves me. This list is garbage! Best thing to do with this is keep it where it’s at. F A K E NEWS!
The Danville school photo has Patriot Pride on the front of the building. I thought GW Danville were the Eagles. Or maybe the were promoting something else. Just an observation

Now that we all agree on how bogus this poll is, let's ask the question in another way that does not name a school.

If I asked you for one, and just one, criteria that YOU would use to decide what determines a really bad school, what would it be? And give a little justification for your answer, please.

This is a hard question to answer if you are restricted to one criteria. But I personally think, (before I hear everyone else's opinion), that I would single out the accountability of the faculty and staff in the school system. How can we ask the kids to act responsible and be accountable if we don't hold those that are supposed to be setting an example, accountable?

Now that we all agree on how bogus this poll is, let's ask the question in another way that does not name a school.

If I asked you for one, and just one, criteria that YOU would use to decide what determines a really bad school, what would it be? And give a little justification for your answer, please.

This is a hard question to answer if you are restricted to one criteria. But I personally think, (before I hear everyone else's opinion), that I would single out the accountability of the faculty and staff in the school system. How can we ask the kids to act responsible and be accountable if we don't hold those that are supposed to be setting an example, accountable?
What's the starting salary for your teachers?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT