19. Ocean Lakes
20. Madison
21. Blacksburg
22. Salem VB
23. Monacan
24. Manchester
25. Louisa
HM
Tuscorara, Varina, Eastern View, Deep Creek, Hampton, Mill Brook, EC Glass, Lord Bortort, Brookville, Kings Fork, Kettle Run, Staunton River, LC Bird, Kings Fork

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Your top two are good teams but I'd got with statistics over gut feel any day.

CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2017] Stone Bridge (Ashburn, VA) 31, [2017] Colonial Forge (Stafford, VA) 21

neutral field
[2017] Stone Bridge (Ashburn, VA) 26, [2017] Hermitage (Richmond, VA) 21
Glad the game of football isn't played on paper. We're still the defending champs until someone knocks us out of playoffs!! #Quest4R3spect

Glad the game of football isn't played on paper. We're still the defending champs until someone knocks us out of playoffs!! #Quest4R3spect

yeah very true... this is all just something to pass time during the week before Friday nights! You are the champ until someone takes the crown. 5a is the toughest classification year in and year out to win a state Championship. Congrats on the past 2 years. Huge accomplishment!

Reactions: vtperry
yeah very true... this is all just something to pass time during the week before Friday nights! You are the champ until someone takes the crown. 5a is the toughest classification year in and year out to win a state Championship. Congrats on the past 2 years. Huge accomplishment!
Thanks mbonape1 appreciate that. Nothing against your thread or discussion, just wanted to address sbbullogs statement on going with stats over gut feeling. This game we all love you'll know is played between the white lines not on social media or based on stats/numbers. Game still gotta be played!!

Reactions: mbonape1
Giving it my best effort here:

1. Colonial Forge
2. Hermitage
3. Stone Bridge
4. HSHS
5. Freedom Woodbridge
6. OS
7. Westfield
8. Bishop Sullivan
9. Dinwiddie
10. CD Hilton
11. Stafford
12. Broad Run
13. Thomas Dale
14. Centerville
15. Landstown
16. South lakes
17. North Stafford
18. Brook Point
19. Ocean Lakes
20. Madison
21. Blacksburg
22. Salem VB
23. Monacan
24. Manchester
25. Louisa
HM
Tuscorara, Varina, Eastern View, Deep Creek, Hampton, Mill Brook, EC Glass, Lord Bortort, Brookville, Kings Fork, Kettle Run, Staunton River, LC Bird, Kings Fork

I would think that list could be easily swapped amongst the top 9-10 teams in any fashion and we'll end up with 90% of the regional finalists come December.

Some regions have already had their biggest games but others still have them coming up. In the 757, it's just now about to start getting interesting.

I would think that list could be easily swapped amongst the top 9-10 teams in any fashion and we'll end up with 90% of the regional finalists come December.

Some regions have already had their biggest games but others still have them coming up. In the 757, it's just now about to start getting interesting.

Your right in fact OS is one or two plays away from being at the top of this list. Sidenote:
I am not sure that Bishop Sullivan could beat OS with Jake Lowe being out. That would be an epic game. Sure would be a an awesome out of district game next year if the VHSL didn't penalize you for it. 6A division is strong statewide this year. Going to be a lot of fun.

Giving it my best effort here:

1. Colonial Forge
2. Hermitage
3. Stone Bridge
4. HSHS
5. Freedom Woodbridge
6. OS
7. Westfield
8. Bishop Sullivan
9. Dinwiddie
10. CD Hilton
11. Stafford
12. Broad Run
13. Thomas Dale
14. Centerville
15. Landstown
16. South lakes
17. North Stafford
18. Brook Point
19. Ocean Lakes
20. Madison
21. Blacksburg
22. Salem VB
23. Monacan
24. Manchester
25. Louisa
HM
When I consider rankings like this, I ask myself this question..., "if these two teams played tonight, who would win?" From this standpoint, it's hard to see some of your picks being correct. But, ain't it fun?

And, there are a few guys named Guido from over on the 2a and 1a forums that would like to have a little talk with you. Something about being left out!?!

So L C Bird not a top 25 Team in this state. WoW. The only team in the state that made it to the playoff each of the pass 18 years, 3 state championships, 7 or 8 regional championships, and 15 district championships. WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!

So L C Bird not a top 25 Team in this state. WoW. The only team in the state that made it to the playoff each of the pass 18 years, 3 state championships, 7 or 8 regional championships, and 15 district championships. WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Route 10 has just been washed off the map in Va

Your living off past glory which is never a good idea. Where would you have LC Bird on this list? I have them in the consideration set but I am not sure that they are automatic top 25 based on this year. If they beat Manchester on 10/13 then they will be in my top 25.

You could maybe make the argument that they should be on the list from 20-25 but even then I would have Varina and Eastern View ahead of them.

Bird is a playoff team and will have all the opportunities to make noise in the playoffs. They are not in my top 25 bc they do not have a signature win yet.

Reactions: falcettik
if these two teams played tonight, who would win?" From this standpoint, it's hard to see some of your picks being correct.

DP... For example? Also, your record does come into play somewhat. We can't just operate off of hunches. This would not be my list if it was just based on who I think is the best team or who would win A vs B. Even with that being said... I think most of those seedings are a good gauge.

If you are a top 4 team in your class statewide from 4a, 5a, 6a then you are on the list. After that there is only 13 wildcards. It is a tough list to make.

Your living off past glory which is never a good idea. Where would you have LC Bird on this list? I have them in the consideration set but I am not sure that they are automatic top 25 based on this year. If they beat Manchester on 10/13 then they will be in my top 25.

You could maybe make the argument that they should be on the list from 20-25 but even then I would have Varina and Eastern View ahead of them.

Bird is a playoff team and will have all the opportunities to make noise in the playoffs. They are not in my top 25 bc they do not have a signature win yet.

Agree that Bird is not a top 25 team. They still play a Dominion District schedule, which outside of Manchester, and some years, Monacan, is very weak. They need to do what Herm, HSHS and other area schools have done and drop the weak teams and pick up some better competition.

They should finish 7-3 (which will be the worst regular season in about 20 years). The way they've been playing so far, no chance they beat Manchester, and it will take a lot of things falling into place to beat Monacan.

Since the playoff field expanded, Bird's not in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since 1998. They may squeak by in the first round but then will get blown out by Herm or HSHS in the second round.

Their streak of 8 consecutive 10-win seasons is almost certainly going to end, and 7 straight years of at making at least the second round of the playoffs is iffy.

Agree that Bird is not a top 25 team. They still play a Dominion District schedule, which outside of Manchester, and some years, Monacan, is very weak. They need to do what Herm, HSHS and other area schools have done and drop the weak teams and pick up some better competition.

They should finish 7-3 (which will be the worst regular season in about 20 years). The way they've been playing so far, no chance they beat Manchester, and it will take a lot of things falling into place to beat Monacan.

Since the playoff field expanded, Bird's not in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since 1998. They may squeak by in the first round but then will get blown out by Herm or HSHS in the second round.

Their streak of 8 consecutive 10-win seasons is almost certainly going to end, and 7 straight years of at making at least the second round of the playoffs is iffy.

I think they are getting better though as the year progresses and you never know. They might make a run but it is going to be uphill for sure regarding HSHS and Hermitage, Varina etc. I don not believe a 5a state title is in the cards this year for the Skyhawks.

What's going to turn out to be scary, HSHS IS improving by leaps and bounds. They are beginning to mesh offensively and defensively. Team unity is growing strong!
They will be tougher and tougher to beat each week.
Next year, they will return basically the whole starting line up ( offense and defense (- 2)) , not to mention they are very deep!.....and the jv and 9th grade squads are talented and both undefeated.... food for future thought.

Who is Varina? I saw them in a scrimmage and was impressed. They took a beat down by Hermitage but a Herm supporter stated on a prior thread that the game was closer than the score indicated. BTW saw HSHS Friday and their improvement since the Hermitage week one game is drastic.
I was the one that said the Varina-Herm game was closer than the score. I was very impressed with them in the first half. I even thought they had a chance to win! But, Hermitage doesn't play people both ways so the second half always starts to tell on the other team....we rarely are tired.
As far as HS improving every week...they probably are but aren't most teams? Herm had over 200 yards in penalties against HS and still won. I would love to say the penalties are reduced, but it is not true. We still seem to get that untimely unsportsmanlike penalty...very frustrating as a fan.
With all of that being said, the HS-Herm rematch (if it occurs) would be another war and a toss up.

I was the one that said the Varina-Herm game was closer than the score. I was very impressed with them in the first half. I even thought they had a chance to win! But, Hermitage doesn't play people both ways so the second half always starts to tell on the other team....we rarely are tired.
As far as HS improving every week...they probably are but aren't most teams? Herm had over 200 yards in penalties against HS and still won. I would love to say the penalties are reduced, but it is not true. We still seem to get that untimely unsportsmanlike penalty...very frustrating as a fan.
With all of that being said, the HS-Herm rematch (if it occurs) would be another war and a toss up.
HS had almost 200 penalty yards in that game too! 180+. Against Lee Davis, we got flagged only a few times. Maybe 3 or 4 times. Played very disciplined.

HS had almost 200 penalty yards in that game too! 180+. Against Lee Davis, we got flagged only a few times. Maybe 3 or 4 times. Played very disciplined.
Seemed like every play someone was being penalized!!!! I chalked it up to first game jitters...but not sure the refs weren't happy to throw flags that night too!
Let's hope next time the teams are more disciplined and we just let it all hang out on the field.

Seemed like every play someone was being penalized!!!! I chalked it up to first game jitters...but not sure the refs weren't happy to throw flags that night too!
Let's hope next time the teams are more disciplined and we just let it all hang out on the field.
Yeah! There for a while it looked like the officials were having a flag throwing contest. We were all like, come on man... we all wanna go home sometime tonight! It didn't end til about 10 if my memory serves me!

Talking bout signature win top 3 team hermitage bird highland springs, if you not one of them teams u don't see playoffs past week 1 sorry but vhsl will prove facts

I agree that Bird maybe a top 3 5a in Richmond but I say Varina is better thus far. If you are stating that Bird is top 3 in the area that is laughable considering TD beat Bird by 30 and HSHS and Hermitage have to be ahead of Bird at this point.

Lets just see what happens against Manchester. For 18 yrs Bird has been the staple in the central region. This year your a little bit down. It is ok...

Plus you still have enough in the tank to potentially make a run. I think Bird ends up the 4 seed in 5a and plays LD or Henrico in the first round. They may win that game but I think beating one of the other semi-finalist will prove to be challenging.

I am not against the skyhawks at all. If there was any doubt I would side with Bird but it just doesn't add up for me in their favor this year.

We will see what happens and I wish them well.

For someone that is from Bird, you really don't have faith in the program, is it because of Bedwell not the coach.

I agree that Bird maybe a top 3 5a in Richmond but I say Varina is better thus far. If you are stating that Bird is top 3 in the area that is laughable considering TD beat Bird by 30 and HSHS and Hermitage have to be ahead of Bird at this point.

Lets just see what happens against Manchester. For 18 yrs Bird has been the staple in the central region. This year your a little bit down. It is ok...

Plus you still have enough in the tank to potentially make a run. I think Bird ends up the 4 seed in 5a and plays LD or Henrico in the first round. They may win that game but I think beating one of the other semi-finalist will prove to be challenging.

I am not against the skyhawks at all. If there was any doubt I would side with Bird but it just doesn't add up for me in their favor this year.

We will see what happens and I wish them well.
Well it sounds like you against bird in your earlier post and some now in this post. But October coming soon.

I am a Monacan fan not Bird hense my picture but I do pull for teams from the dominion district and the richmond area all else being equal.

Good luck the rest of the way
I warned you about rooting for Bird. Now look, everybody thinks you are one of them! LOL!

I know a lot of the Varina boys. They are legit...RJ Coles is the real deal jack! They have Size, speed, the whole nine! Springers I think they give your boys a game this year.
I agree! I am telling you, they by far won the first half against Herm. The second half they worn down and gave up big plays and lots of points. I am sure HS will beat them, but it will not be a cake walk. I am not sure if Thomas Dale just had a bad game against us or what, but there is a huge gap between Varina and TD. TD had no passing game at all and most teams can't run on us. Varina did!

I agree! I am telling you, they by far won the first half against Herm. The second half they worn down and gave up big plays and lots of points. I am sure HS will beat them, but it will not be a cake walk. I am not sure if Thomas Dale just had a bad game against us or what, but there is a huge gap between Varina and TD. TD had no passing game at all and most teams can't run on us. Varina did!
Varina is real young. A lot of sophomores and juniors. They're only going to get better.

Hangover from LCB win was what I was told. Varinas style of offense forced HERM out the box, TDs didn't. TD defense played very well but wore out late from being on the field all game. Should've been 17-0 TD at the half. The HERM defense did what it was supposed to do and turn them away. My cousin said HERM was the best team they faced scrimmages included to date. He said no excuses out the TD camp. They got outplayed. Wished they had another shot but will have to wait next year. Wish I could make this Dinwiddie game. Good luck to everyone tonigh

How deep is their depth chart?
HS's seems bottomless!
I think their O line went 6 or 7 deep; after that I think there was a drop off. The D line seemed to have two 4 man rotations. At least when we scrimmaged.

As to the future, John Rolfe MS' line was almost as big as Varina's varsity and they had a good number of athletes. The pipeline looks to be stocked. I talked to Coach Woody and he thinks Varina is back.

We'll get a good read on Varina after this week. Tonight they have patsy Armstrong. Then Patrick Henry, Henrico and Lee Davis. Then close with Atlee then HSHS.
Orher than Herm, the toughest part of their schedule still presents them!
I doubt w'll see a bigger team than Riverbend.

We'll get a good read on Varina after this week. Tonight they have patsy Armstrong. Then Patrick Henry, Henrico and Lee Davis. Then close with Atlee then HSHS.
Orher than Herm, the toughest part of their schedule still presents them!
I doubt w'll see a bigger team than Riverbend.
Ok, I am going to make a BOLD statement. Varina will be 8-1 when they meet HS unless Stu gets in the way. He seems like a good dude, but I have never thought his sideline coaching was very good.

I think their O line went 6 or 7 deep; after that I think there was a drop off. The D line seemed to have two 4 man rotations. At least when we scrimmaged.

As to the future, John Rolfe MS' line was almost as big as Varina's varsity and they had a good number of athletes. The pipeline looks to be stocked. I talked to Coach Woody and he thinks Varina is back.
Rolfe's team is huge!

Reactions: springer76
Ok, I am going to make a BOLD statement. Varina will be 8-1 when they meet HS unless Stu gets in the way. He seems like a good dude, but I have never thought his sideline coaching was very good.

Thats not that bold they should be favorites in every game except HSHS... Bold is saying they will finish 9-1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT