ADVERTISEMENT

Travel or Timeout?

NNDman

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
Loose ball. Player A dives and corrals the ball against his stomach and slides with it about 10-15 feet. While he's sliding along the floor Coach A calls for a timeout. Is he awarded the timeout or is it a travel.

This is a legal play and he may call and be awarded a time out. Casebook play 4.44.5 (B) covers this.

If I'm understanding your question exactly and in fairly simple terms:

If he slid on floor with ball (okay so far), then tried to get up or roll over (gaining an advantage) he should be called for traveling. Now let me say that the whole (legal) sliding act is a player diving on the floor for a loose ball, corralling it and sliding with it. It would NOT be legal for a player in possession of the ball, say standing and holding it, or having just been on the run dribbling the ball and stopping, to fall to the floor and then slide with ball. The player taking the ball to the floor has caused a traveling violation.

Diving, capturing ball, stops sliding, time out by coach ok? Can player signal TO while sliding or when stopped? Can player pass ball immediately upon stopping slide or while sliding? Any effort to roll or stand, traveling? If he is sliding with no TO called, but has possession, that would in itself be traveling correct?

After sliding the player "may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once he/she is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, player may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless he/she is dribbling. It is also traveling if player puts ball on floor, then rises and is first to touch ball." (taken straight from NFHS Casebook 4.44.5 Situation B)
In your last question, if player is sliding and no TO called, but player has possession, there has been no violation. I suppose, in theory, a player can just lay there with the ball after sliding for an undetermined amount of time, unless subject to some other requirement, such as 10-seconds if in back court, 3-seconds if in lane, or 5-seconds closely guarded. Most likely, the next whistle will be for a held ball, when the opponent decides to grab it.

As gymrat has said, it is not traveling for a player to dive for a ball and then slide after gaining possession.

He can do anything he would normally be able to do, for example, if he was standing.

He can pass the ball, call timeout, start a dribble.

He travels if he rolls over or attempts to get up.

Thanks, I appreciate your answers. I've seen many a dive/slide, and not really thought much about the nuances of it. Usually ends with a opposition player diving for the ball, and then the real fun begins.

You watch, something like this will happen at the game tonight. And I will suddenly be the world's greatest authority on basketball rules. NOT!
I've embarrassed myself too many times already.

Hopefully no ref will call this a travel, but if so...you go ahead and embarrass yourself all you want!

I saw this exact same play at the Gretna-Wm Campbell game Friday night.

It has been my observation that with this type of play, 99% of the time a team will be granted a time out, 9and often times if they do not have possession of ball). Same as in bounds plays. TO is granted at same time whistle blows for 5 second violation and is granted. It seems as if TOs over-ride all other calls 99% of the time.

I think rules should be changed from 5 TOs per game to 3. Same goes for college games, which have become a joke with all the TV time outs, plus each team's TOs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT