ADVERTISEMENT

Trickery or not???

Apr 13, 2007
Is this legal? If not, what is the penalty?

Team A has the ball on their own 35 yard line. The QB is lined up under center and all of his backs are lined up outside the 5 interior linemen and are eligible. The snap touches the QB who then runs out to the right as if he's going to pass or run and he doesn't have the ball. The snapper has the ball still up at his buttocks and A44 comes by and picks it up and runs for a touchdown. Is this legal?

No. that's a snap infraction.

The ball must leave the snapper's hand.

Plus, planned loose ball plays are illegal, so if let go of it in a way that left it on the ground for someone else to come along and pick it up, that would be flagged.

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
Is the backwards "bounce pass" considered legal?

It's perfectly legal. Don't think it's been run since Eisenhower was a private, but if you want to, go right ahead.

This post was edited on 12/12 4:13 PM by White hat

The Fumblerooski

Last time I saw it I believe, it was pulled off by Nebraska in an Orange Bowl. In wishbone formation, QB takes snap under center and heads to right side along with flow of backs. Qb immediately places ball on ground behind right guard, right tackle or TE comes by in opposite direction (perhaps making it look like a counter of some kind) and picks up ball and tries to run for yardage.
Are you saying this is not legal in HS?

Re: The Fumblerooski

Originally posted by gymrat10:

Last time I saw it I believe, it was pulled off by Nebraska in an Orange Bowl. In wishbone formation, QB takes snap under center and heads to right side along with flow of backs. Qb immediately places ball on ground behind right guard, right tackle or TE comes by in opposite direction (perhaps making it look like a counter of some kind) and picks up ball and tries to run for yardage.
Are you saying this is not legal in HS?
Correct. It was made illegal 3 or 4 years ago.

I was thinking it was longer ago than that, so I looked it up. I was remembered the 1993 edict that a planned loose ball play was only legal if the referee was notified immediately before it was run.

In 2006 that part was removed and it's no longer legal at all. Funny thing is, the Rules Book only mentions that a planned loose ball play in the vicinity of the snapper is illegal. It doesn't say anything about one in the backfield (I was in a discussion about this because of a situation I had this season). The Case Book says all planned loose ball plays are illegal, but the Rules Book is vague.

Dang, some people want to take all the fun out of a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT