ADVERTISEMENT

Tuscarora vs salem

Interesting that no Salem posters are calling for this to be a blow out. I imagine they are trying to find out info on Tuscarora. Salem made a lot of mistakes last night.

Reactions: VolNation85
of course salem but not because they have better players or coaches its because that team has discipline. they know how to act and not get themselves in trouble.

Last night was a definite off night for Salem. The qb was throwing absolute dimes and the balls were dropped. Could have easily been up 3 scores at the half but stuff like that and some sketchy play calling. Lewis was the factor in that game last night. He stepped up and was a damn man last night!! He’s been proving me wrong since that LCA game!! I’m glad he is!!

Now if Salem plays this sloppy again?? Who knows!! If Salem beats Tusky, they will have to have a perfect game and some help from the football gods to beat Phoebus or King George!! Let us pray!!😜

Before someone's britches get in a wad, I'd first like to point out, especially to newcomers to C4, that there is always one of these people that pop up around the playoffs and then I'd simply tell you to look at the join date and put two and two together. Happens every year, either a knucklehead of ours or some bored weirdo from another fanbase who does it to make the rest of us look bad.

Defensively, Salem needs to fix their coverage issues. It’s too late in the season. Zone coverage is too soft in a lot of situations. The defensive back is caught sitting to deep, giving up the first down. A lot of drives for Glass were extended from this!! Now be it the players making a mistake, or the coach calling the wrong coverage?? I don’t know, but it sure does happen alot!! makes no sense on 3rd and 4 to play 10-11yds of the ball and give them the first down. That could especially be a thorn in our side.

Salem should be the healthy favorite over Tusky. Last year Glass got caught lacking energy and didn’t match the will of the underdog and a quality Kettle Run team outplayed them in City Stadium. I don’t see Salem making that same mistake and they’ll be prepared and they have the horses to take over the game on both sides. I haven’t seen film on Tusky yet but from what I’ve seen of the Spartans it’s going to take a special team like the representative of the A/B matchup to be able to send them home at this stage. Coaching plus the storied history of being there and seizing the moment should fuel the Spartans to a state title birth. Give me Salem by 17-21 they’ll pull away second half but won’t make the same mistakes early like they did verus Glass.

Salem should be the healthy favorite over Tusky. Last year Glass got caught lacking energy and didn’t match the will of the underdog and a quality Kettle Run team outplayed them in City Stadium. I don’t see Salem making that same mistake and they’ll be prepared and they have the horses to take over the game on both sides. I haven’t seen film on Tusky yet but from what I’ve seen of the Spartans it’s going to take a special team like the representative of the A/B matchup to be able to send them home at this stage. Coaching plus the storied history of being there and seizing the moment should fuel the Spartans to a state title birth. Give me Salem by 17-21 they’ll pull away second half but won’t make the same mistakes early like they did verus Glass.
Kettle Run was a better team then Glass last year period, not an underdog at all except to the isolated south/west/east posters on here. I'm pretty confident Champe or Tuscarora would've beaten Glass this year as well. Salem is the favorite. Tuscarora will need 2 turnovers and need to score every time they get in the red zone. This isn't impossible but Salem is pretty disciplined, making it very difficult.

I a
Red zone... getting over the 50 is hard. Salem does not turn over ball.if u beat salem your a good tram
I agree with everything you said. It could turn into a Salem blowout. Tuscarora will need a couple of short fields and need to capitalize. Then play the momentum to have a chance to win.

Salem RZ D is nasty this year. Handley 1st and goal at the 1 came away with nothing, Glass 2x 1st and goal inside the 5 came away with nothing, Salem O scores TD off each of these.

As I mentioned in another thread, Salem D has one slight anomaly this year: it's highly susceptible on the first drive. 1st team D giving up 82 points on the year but 28 of those came off the first drive (LCA, Fleming, Pulaski, Glass). After that, becomes incredibly difficult to score on Salem (Salem outscoring Glass 42-7 the rest of the game should be an indication). Can't really explain it but it became noticeable to me after the PC game.

Kettle Run was a better team then Glass last year period, not an underdog at all except to the isolated south/west/east posters on here. I'm pretty confident Champe or Tuscarora would've beaten Glass this year as well. Salem is the favorite. Tuscarora will need 2 turnovers and need to score every time they get in the red zone. This isn't impossible but Salem is pretty disciplined, making it very difficult.

I’m not saying that KR wasn’t the better team, I just believe many people as well as forecasters on this site and others predicted Glass as the favorite at home last year and when they lost it came as a surprise to many outside of the Region C area . I’m not slighting that team as they had one of the best WR in the state in Tapscott and all around were solid just ran into a juggernaut in Dinwiddie who was rolling. I agree with your synopsis of the semifinals it’s going to take an unSalemlike performance from Salem or an extremely well executed game from tusky to advance.

Reactions: wolverinedad2018
You’re from western part of Va right? Just say you got Salem as the team to beat. Saying you weren’t impressed by Phoebus shutting down an undefeated team that averaged 45 ppg is just hilarious.
Coming from a Salem fan!! I’m impressed with Phoebus!! Very impressed!! They are really good!! As is King George!! Impressed with both!!

The favorites thing is all opinionated anyway. Saying he wasn’t impressed though is what got me. Clear indication that he’s just chatting
From touchdown Tony’s join date, he’s just a member that’s logged in under a new alias to talk smack!! I can assure you that most Salem fans are humble enough to know that the 804 and 757 are phenomenal football teams!!

Here's my take...Salem's defense is championship caliber and they have a championship caliber running back but their offense seems very one dimensional. That's not necessarily uncommon for Salem but their OL isn't as dominant as it was in their recent championship years where they will just grind the opposition into the ground for 4 quarters. I say all of that to say, I am no longer 100% convinced that Salem beats Tusky. Lewis and his big runs were 100% the deciding factor last game. Tusky will be better on the DL than Glass was which leads me to believe that Lewis will not have as many 20+ yrd runs as he did last week. For my pride's sake I would like for Salem to win just because I predicted a Salem-Phoebus state championship game at the end of last season but, I would not be surprised if Tusky won.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
If Tusky gets first and goal at the one, they will just run behind that huge tackle and get the yard. I just don't know if they will ever see the 1.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I think Salem fans still dont know quite what to think about this Spartan team. They are so used to seeing mistake free grind it out football they don't quite trust this team that makes mistakes but makes up for it with explosive plays.

Here's my take...Salem's defense is championship caliber and they have a championship caliber running back but their offense seems very one dimensional. That's not necessarily uncommon for Salem but their OL isn't as dominant as it was in their recent championship years where they will just grind the opposition into the ground for 4 quarters. I say all of that to say, I am no longer 100% convinced that Salem beats Tusky. Lewis and his big runs were 100% the deciding factor last game. Tusky will be better on the DL than Glass was which leads me to believe that Lewis will not have as many 20+ yrd runs as he did last week. For my pride's sake I would like for Salem to win just because I predicted a Salem-Phoebus state championship game at the end of last season but, I would not be surprised if Tusky won.
Not sure I agree on Salem's passing game based on the Glass game. They had guys wide open and the QB was throwing great passes... they just dropped a bunch which they haven't done all year.

Now, the complete pass protection breakdowns are a big issue, so are the obvious tendencies that lead to some of the blitzes that don't get picked up. Also, quite frankly, the OL did not play great against Glass in the running game and had a lot of mental errors/penalties. They are definitely better than last year but still need to improve right now if they want to keep advancing.

Drunk Falling GIF

One of the things that stands out about Salem is their lack of size on the offensive and defensive lines. Believe they have 2 offensive linemen around 255/265. All these other teams seem to have quite a few players over 300. Hard for them to be the traditional ground and pound Salem.

Defensively, Salem needs to fix their coverage issues. It’s too late in the season. Zone coverage is too soft in a lot of situations. The defensive back is caught sitting to deep, giving up the first down. A lot of drives for Glass were extended from this!! Now be it the players making a mistake, or the coach calling the wrong coverage?? I don’t know, but it sure does happen alot!! makes no sense on 3rd and 4 to play 10-11yds of the ball and give them the first down. That could especially be a thorn in our side.
Could be, or they were willing to give up the underneath to protect the big pass play. EC Glass # 14 was their go to guy on the long pass, but that didn't happen.

Salem runs a a 4-2 scheme on defense. In this scheme, you keep 4 DL and 2 LBs inside the box and 2 safeties deep in most situations. That leaves 1 extra player to be the "over hang" defender to the "strong side". This type of scheme will always have a safety 10-12 yards off the ball on one side of the defense if a team uses 4-5 WR formations like Glass did if the defense wants to keep a 2 deep zone coverage/look. The alternative is to play a variation of man or Cover 3 if the concern is that slot WR beating you in the 5-7 yard hole. But then you become vulnerable to getting beat deep.

I think their scheme is the best it can be to take away the strength of other teams. I can tell you right now that you don't want Salem playing man coverage or cover 3 vs King George or Phoebus.

Last edited:
Salem runs a a 4-2 scheme on defense. In this scheme you keep 4 DL and 2 LBs inside the box and 2 safeties deep in most situations. That leaves 1 extra player to be the "over hang" defender to the "strong side". This type of scheme will always have a safety 10-12 yards off the ball on one side of the defense if a team uses 4-5 WR formations like Glass did if the defense wants to keep a 2 deep zone coverage/look. The alternative is to play a variation of man or Cover 3 if the concern is that slot WR beating you in the 5-7 yard hole. But then you become vulnerable to getting beat deep.

I think their scheme is the best it can be to take away the strength of other teams. I can tell you right now that you don't want Salem playing man coverage or cover 3 vs King George or Phoebus.

Why not?

I assume you are asking why not to my last statement. If so, it's because both of those teams are too dynamic and explosive at the WR positions to contain them for 4 quarters playing man or cover 3. Glass' WRs are in the same category, thus Salem didn't play man or cover 3 against them much, if any.

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily asking because I agreed or disagreed with you, I was just trying to get you to elaborate some.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT