ADVERTISEMENT

Umpire Question?

Sep 13, 2007
Runners on 2nd & 3rd and one out. Fly ball to centerfield. Fielder makes catch and proceeds to throw home to try and get runner from 3rd base. Throw not in time, however runner at 2nd base did not tag on the fly ball. Catcher sees that runner at 2nd did not tag and throws back to 2nd base to record the 3rd out as umpires saw she did not tag up on catch. No time out was called so no appeal was made as ball was still in play. Should run from 3rd count in this situation? If an appeal was made in a dead ball situation would run count? Curious, as it came up in a game recently.
Thanks in advance

I do not have a rule book with me and its been three years since I umpired,but that appeal is considered a live ball appeal and if the run scored before the out,score the run.

Re: Thanks

Yep, a failure to tag up at a base is not a force out so if the run scores before the out it counts. Now here's where it gets cool. What if the person on third also left too soon. You could then throw the ball over to third base for a fourth out and negate the run!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT