ADVERTISEMENT

Union wins!!!!

BigWinners

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 3, 2015
So much for Union not having a chance against Dan River. Apparently it was terribly officiated as well, and DR was chop blocking and targeting Unions DL. IMA watch film before I say much more, but ifnwhat I was told truly happened, I have zero respect for DR.

28-23 final. Mitchell had a 95 yard TD reception.

So much for Union not having a chance against Dan River. Apparently it was terribly officiated as well, and DR was chop blocking and targeting Unions DL. IMA watch film before I say much more, but ifnwhat I was told truly happened, I have zero respect for DR.

Didn't DR have players who wouldn't stand for the National Anthem earlier this season? If so, karma got them.

There were some questionable calls. The PI along DR sideline early in game probably the worst. Pass was overthrown and uncatchable I think.

Reactions: BigWinners
So much for Union not having a chance against Dan River. Apparently it was terribly officiated as well, and DR was chop blocking and targeting Unions DL. IMA watch film before I say much more, but ifnwhat I was told truly happened, I have zero respect for DR.8

I didn't see any targeting on both sides! I saw two teams of young men play their hearts out for their fans and high schools. I don't know who was saying that Union didn't have a chance. They both entered with 10-1 records & the Bears were a state quarterfinals the year before.
A back-and-forth game than went to the final minutes. Mitchell made a heck of a play on that 95-yard catch & run for TD with 2:32 left in regulation.

I hated for my Wildcats to lose in that fashion, but we lost to heck of a team and you can't lower your head to that. I personally congratulated many players & fans after the game and wished them nothing but the best!

I do pray for #50 from Union who had to go to the hospital with an arm injury. Never want to see anyone have to leave via ambulance.

Win, lose, or draw, thru the highs & lows, I'm always Dan River proud! Thank you seniors & thanks for a wonderful season!

I didn't see any targeting on both sides! I saw two teams of young men play their hearts out for their fans and high schools. I don't know who was saying that Union didn't have a chance. They both entered with 10-1 records & the Bears were a state quarterfinals the year before.
A back-and-forth game than went to the final minutes. Mitchell made a heck of a play on that 95-yard catch & run for TD with 2:32 left in regulation.

I hated for my Wildcats to lose in that fashion, but we lost to heck of a team and you can't lower your head to that. I personally congratulated many players & fans after the game and wished them nothing but the best!

I do pray for #50 from Union who had to go to the hospital with an arm injury. Never want to see anyone have to leave via ambulance.

Win, lose, or draw, thru the highs & lows, I'm always Dan River proud! Thank you seniors & thanks for a wonderful season!
Mascot, that is one gracious and classy post. Good luck to you next year.

Appomattox is still the team to beat,
Yes, They did that against Appo too. Karma wins every time.

The Appomattox game was the ONLY game that they did it, so please let's drop that issue.
After that night and for the rest of the season, the team mostly stood arm and arm either at the goal line or on the hilltop last night.

Yes, They did that against Appo too. Karma wins every time.

The Appomattox game was the ONLY game that they did it, so please let's drop that issue.
After that night and for the rest of the season, the team mostly stood arm and arm either at the goal line or on the hilltop last night.

Appomattox is still the team to beat because they are the defending state champion and they are holding the longest current winning streak in the VHSL (I believe).
Appomattox/Union and Richlands/Graham are going to be more than worth the admission price!

Appomattox is still the team to beat,

WHEN YOU DISRESPECT OUR COUNTRY AND ITS VETERANS,IT IS NEVER FORGOTTEN FOR GIVEN MAYBE,BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN.

This was an absolutely terrific and exciting game that saw a back and forth struggle all night. Either team could have come out on top with a play here or there that would have went differently than it did.

This is the best that Union's defense has played all year. Dan River had more overall team speed and it showed a couple of times. I think the difference in the game came down to line play. The Bears have a very experienced O and D line. Several of those kids are 3 year starters.

Dan River folks that I talked to, both before and after the game, were nothing but polite, friendly, and gracious. Being 4.5 hours from home, I really appreciated that.

The Wildcats are a great team and I wish nothing but the best for them next year.

This was an absolutely terrific and exciting game that saw a back and forth struggle all night. Either team could have come out on top with a play here or there that would have went differently than it did.

This is the best that Union's defense has played all year. Dan River had more overall team speed and it showed a couple of times. I think the difference in the game came down to line play. The Bears have a very experienced O and D line. Several of those kids are 3 year starters.

Dan River folks that I talked to, both before and after the game, were nothing but polite, friendly, and gracious. Being 4.5 hours from home, I really appreciated that.

The Wildcats are a great team and I wish nothing but the best for them next year.
What did you think of the PI calls?

The first one could not have been PI as nobody was anywhere near the ball, but it is possible that they called holding on the Union DB.I wasn't watching the receivers and DBs go down the field. I was watching the line at the beginning of that play. I didn't see the official's indication, and couldn't hear the announcer on the visitor's side.

The 2nd one was less questionable. It was a complete judgement call. The Union DB was behind the DR receiver and reached over him to deflect the ball. From the Ref's point of view it probably looked like he was draped over the DR receiver. Which he slightly was.

I wish we could have did a PI or something that 95 yrd TD lol

With the pass coverage Union had on DR receivers at line of scrimmage, DR should have threw ball more. (DR did have 2 drops when receivers were wide open). If DR had got ball to WRs in space, who knows what score would have been.

But then again, I think every team should throw ball more.

With the pass coverage Union had on DR receivers at line of scrimmage, DR should have threw ball more. (DR did have 2 drops when receivers were wide open). If DR had got ball to WRs in space, who knows what score would have been.

They heard the footsteps coming.

They heard the footsteps coming.

I hope is was because the coach yanked a knot in those kid's tails or their parents gave them what for.

Reactions: OldSchoolRaider
This was an absolutely terrific and exciting game!! Hats off to Union for continuing to fight even after that late game interception. That team deserved it.

But I am glad Dan River Football team is finished playing so we don't have to continue to hear about the hurt feelings of grown adults anymore by the actions of children who are going to make mistakes in their life. Allow them to learn from it I'm sure it will never happen again after the backlash that everyone received. Let it Go!! I'm sure skipping classes was not the worse thing that some of you on here did while you were a kid.

On another note! Lets Go Appo!! Bring home that state championship!!!

This was an absolutely terrific and exciting game!! Hats off to Union for continuing to fight even after that late game interception. That team deserved it.

But I am glad Dan River Football team is finished playing so we don't have to continue to hear about the hurt feelings of grown adults anymore by the actions of children who are going to make mistakes in their life. Allow them to learn from it I'm sure it will never happen again after the backlash that everyone received. Let it Go!! I'm sure skipping classes was not the worse thing that some of you on here did while you were a kid.

Stop it. Just shush dude. Hurt feelings by grown ups? I love it, lol. Dan River players put on their big boy pants, and when challenged on their actions, the fans want to hide them behind the cloak of "just young kids." If other fans would have agreed with their actions, then I am sure the Dan River players would be labeled by their fans as fine "young men."

Fact is....Dan River initiated the act, not other players from other schools, not other grown ups, not the media, not the cheerleaders, Dan Rivers football team initiated the act and put on their big boy pants and threw their hats into the political arena. When that happens, you get challenged. People don't just pass it off as "young men." Many people including myself have fought and some have died or have relatives that have died. Thus includes African Americans playing a gigantic role in defending the flags freedom. Many people take this personal. Dan River did this to themselves and their coach ALLOWED it to happen.

As for you rooting for Appo, well you should because Dan River never won anything.

Didn't DR have players who wouldn't stand for the National Anthem earlier this season? If so, karma got them.

Yes, it's true that DR had three guys not stand for National Anthem but, I wouldn't go as far as saying their loss to Union was karma lol. Maybe their loss was because Union was the better team that night. I'm not sure what your point is.

Reactions: vman3196
A lot of you are celebrating these kids loss because three kids didn't stand for the flag. By all means, these kids were WRONG and IMO should have been disciplined (BY not the school system but THEIR PARENTS!!). At the same time these are kids. Sports keep these kids out of trouble. These kids live in a town where the murder rate per capita is worst than Chicago. Football or basketball or soccer or tennis, etc to go to the next level is literally life and death to some of these kids. No excuse for their loss, I just respectfully disagree with the celebration of their misfortune and karma comments. Hats off to the Union Bears. I'm hearing that is one hell of a team. Dan River probably had their best football team in its history this year and yet another disappointing end. I really feel for those kids.

Sounds like hurt feelings to me in your post. Fans don't support their decisions no do they try to hide them. But discipline should be administered and then move on. To harp on a kids actions weeks later is sad. And you referring 3 kids action to a whole team and the reason why they lost. But you said Dan River never won anything like I wanted them to win or something. But to continue to bash some kids for making a mistake for the rest of their life. Man move on. It's over! I appreciate your years of service!!! But I'm sure you did some things in life that someone else wouldn't approve of either. There's much worse things kids could have done.

Real talk BlackMamba! A 15 year old kid was gunned down Thursday night in Danville and then a 21 year old just 22 hours later on Friday. Danville has 14 homicides this year. Think about it. This small town has 14!! MUCH worst things are happening in Danville and I'm grateful that I lived there for 19 years of my life and I was able to make it out and I want to see the same happen to these kids. Kids need role models and guidance.. Unfortunately some kids just don't have that.. They're followers and don't know what the heck that they're doing. No need to hold this against them. All we can do is pray and TRY to make a change.

Last edited:
Coach Edmunds loves his players and it shows. I don't agree with the 3 kneeling but what is done is done. After reading some of the articles I've read, it appears Dan River was more worried about revenge on Appo than focusing on Union. To me Union must have a good team and Dan River lost focus not saying they would have won.
Concerning the Real Talk...you are exactly right. Danville has become a very dangerous place and anything you can do( football, basketball, etc.) to steer kids away from gangs or the like is prolonging their life hopefully to the point of maturing.

Coach Edmunds loves his players and it shows. I don't agree with the 3 kneeling but what is done is done. After reading some of the articles I've read, it appears Dan River was more worried about revenge on Appo than focusing on Union. To me Union must have a good team and Dan River lost focus not saying they would have won.
Concerning the Real Talk...you are exactly right. Danville has become a very dangerous place and anything you can do( football, basketball, etc.) to steer kids away from gangs or the like is prolonging their life hopefully to the point of maturing.
I think a young man has to make a choice to become a productive citizen or follow the crowd and become a gang member,I think it is up to that person to realize the correct path and take it.

I don't think kneeling will turn these three into gang bangers anymore than voting for Trump makes all white people white supremacists or racists. I think that kneeling is unpatriotic, disrespects all people who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country and it is the wrong way to prove their point. They should rather decide to stay in the lockeroom or something else. But now what's done is done.

Doesn't disrespect all because my brother was not disrespected he simply said he fights for people to have the freedom to express their voice but to the ones it did disrespect or who felt disrespected I hope you can one day forgive these three individuals. I could care less if they do or not I just want to talk about sports on the sports forums and not politics.

Reactions: Drob4life
I don't view a player kneeling as disrespecting the country nor the soldiers, and my brother is currently an officer in the USAF, both grandparents served, etc...

Reactions: Blackmamba54
Were these kids really trying to be disrespectful or really trying to protest something? Or were they just doing what was cool at the time?

Were these kids really trying to be disrespectful or really trying to protest something? Or were they just doing what was cool at the time?
Probably just trying to be cool, I'd hope so at least. We live in a monkey see, monkey do society. I tell my students all of the time to lead by example and don't follow the crowd. This isn't just Dan River, but nationwide in all aspects of life.

Reactions: eh31
The kneeling really grinds my gears and is, in my opinion, single handedly one of the most disrespectful acts you can follow through with. However, there was something encouraging that can be pulled from this. Out of all those players on the team, there was 3 kids that kneeled. All the others were not swayed by the actions of a few and chose to do the right thing and show due respect to this nation and to the people who fought and died for it. The others chose class and did what Americans should do.... I tip my hat to those other boys for not being pulled in the wrong direction.

The kneeling really grinds my gears and is, in my opinion, single handedly one of the most disrespectful acts you can follow through with. However, there was something encouraging that can be pulled from this. Out of all those players on the team, there was 3 kids that kneeled. All the others were not swayed by the actions of a few and chose to do the right thing and show due respect to this nation and to the people who fought and died for it. The others chose class and did what Americans should do.... I tip my hat to those other boys for not being pulled in the wrong direction.
I don't understand this POV at all. This wasn't people spitting on Vietnam vets returning home, in most cases it was a conscious decision made to try and bring issue to a REAL problem, the police brutality that happens in this country. No one was disrespecting soldiers or the flag in any way, it was kneeling during the anthem written by a man who openly was anti-abolition and went out of his way to prosecute people in some cases for distributing abolitionist materials. The greatest way America sets examples for the world is freedom, and people exercising said freedom is the greatest expression of American ideals there is to be made.
How many soldiers, career soldiers have you talked to about the issue? The majority I've spoken with feel like there was likely a better stage to protest, but most were proud that they'd fought ton give people the freedom to speak their minds and protest peacefully. Some of its generational, but some of it isn't.

I think if a person has been on the end of a situation where the police brutalized someone or witnessed some of the acts committed, they'd be more inclined to realize its a serious issue. High school kids can't fix the solution by themselves, but if they did it to make a political statement and not just to stand out, good for them for at least being socially aware.

I don't view a player kneeling as disrespecting the country nor the soldiers, and my brother is currently an officer in the USAF, both grandparents served, etc...
How can you possible not see kneeling during your country's National Anthem as disrespectful. It's our Country's Anthem for goodness sake.....we stand out of respect for our Country, so kneeling HAS to be disrespectful.

I don't understand this POV at all. This wasn't people spitting on Vietnam vets returning home, in most cases it was a conscious decision made to try and bring issue to a REAL problem, the police brutality that happens in this country. No one was disrespecting soldiers or the flag in any way, it was kneeling during the anthem written by a man who openly was anti-abolition and went out of his way to prosecute people in some cases for distributing abolitionist materials. The greatest way America sets examples for the world is freedom, and people exercising said freedom is the greatest expression of American ideals there is to be made.
How many soldiers, career soldiers have you talked to about the issue? The majority I've spoken with feel like there was likely a better stage to protest, but most were proud that they'd fought ton give people the freedom to speak their minds and protest peacefully. Some of its generational, but some of it isn't.

I think if a person has been on the end of a situation where the police brutalized someone or witnessed some of the acts committed, they'd be more inclined to realize its a serious issue. High school kids can't fix the solution by themselves, but if they did it to make a political statement and not just to stand out, good for them for at least being socially aware.
If people feel the country is not right for them......move.

I have no dog in this fight, but that goes against everything our country was founded on. We have a freedom to do things, and that includes a peaceful protest. I don't support it, but that doesn't mean if they don't like a certain aspect of what's going on that they should just leave the country. That's not what we are about. This country is about inclusiveness.

So women should've just moved instead of fightin for equal rights. Black people should've just moved instead of fighting for equality, etc.....

America is great because it is WILLING to change. To progress as a country, to a point where no innocent person gets killed by cops or the justice system doesn't overwhelmingly side against the poor and the non white. Why are you so against our country improving? Didn't you people want to make America great again? Shouldn't that mean being treated wit dignity and getting a fair shot in the justice system?

And again, how is protesting by kneeling during the anthem hurting any soldiers or vets? Didn't they sign up to protect the American ideals of freedom and democracy, a.k.a. the right to protest?

Reactions: stormwatcher
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT