ADVERTISEMENT

Up, down, no change and why?

Aug 11, 2014
Was wondering about a different approach to looking at your teams. Will they improve, regress or stay the same.
For EV..
Positive
  • QB has a year under his belt - that is gold
  • Returning RB - again consistency in the backfield with QB
  • Very good WR group - a couple returned, a few added in. Very athletic.
  • The lines will be big, strong and experienced enough - the front seven will be nasty this year!
  • I think a few of the season opponents have improved, hopefully providing some healthy competition
  • Coaching staff has been relatively the same group of people (growing in experience)
  • The weight room is over crowed (in a good way)
Question Marks
  • The next set of athletes proving they are also football players. DB's LB's in particular
  • Who will be the player/s other coaches have to plan for. Diago has graduated.
  • Will they continue to play with a chip on their shoulders. Last year was the first year I remember that other people are starting to believe in EV. There is no doubt they are no longer the underdog or a team any team takes lightly. They have arrived, now what will they do?
  • Come playoffs, they play in arguably the toughest region 1-6. They will be competing against a state contender by the second round
So in my view, they get better as a program. They will be a better football team. They will be in a dog fight in the second round.. and that dog fight will be at Home.

Your team?

Was wondering about a different approach to looking at your teams. Will they improve, regress or stay the same.
For EV..
Positive
  • The lines will be big, strong and experienced enough - the front seven will be nasty this year!
  • I think a few of the season opponents have improved, hopefully providing some healthy competition
  • Coaching staff has been relatively the same group of people (growing in experience)
Question Marks
  • The next set of athletes proving they are also football players. DB's LB's in particular
  • Will they continue to play with a chip on their shoulders. Last year was the first year I remember that other people are starting to believe in EV. There is no doubt they are no longer the underdog or a team any team takes lightly. They have arrived, now what will they do?
  • Come playoffs, they play in arguably the toughest region 1-6. They will be competing against a state contender by the second round
So in my view, they get better as a program. They will be a better football team. They will be in a dog fight in the second round.. and that dog fight will be at Home.

Your team?

They are a prove it team to me 573- 637 w/l record of the teams they have played in the past 10 seasons, 5-6 w/l record against teams they have played that have won 8 games in a season.

They are on the come up, not this year though

For EV..
Positive
Question Marks

Your team?
Can you speak on the defense? That’s the only question mark for EV in my book

They are a prove it team to me 573- 637 w/l record of the teams they have played in the past 10 seasons, 5-6 w/l record against teams they have played that have won 8 games in a season.

They are on the come up, not this year though

You clearly misunderstood the assignment. I asked about your team? But also, we are not talking about 10 years, we are talking about what they were last year, what improvements they made, where they have question marks etc. Although your facts may be correct, there they were, toe to toe with the all season long (almost unanimous #1) and on their field, taking a loss from a "10 seconds left" field goal. So from that moment.. how do they compare now, this year in all it's preseason glory... I'm saying they will be better than that.

Can you speak on the defense? That’s the only question mark for EV in my book

I'll hold my bias a bit, as my son is a DT on the line. I'll let someone else talk about him. But I think they will be bigger as a group. They will have a few DB's that are new, but very rarely do we lack for athletes. The LB's will have some proving to do, but 2 have plenty of experience last year and both are hitters. They will miss King I think the most. His in game instincts were very good for what amounts to a first year player. The Courtland game will be a good test on the D line. And to be honest the Culpeper game may be a good test for the DB's as they have very good WR's (just not sure if they will have a QB that can throw). But we will have big athletes on the line..

I'll hold my bias a bit, as my son is a DT on the line. I'll let someone else talk about him. But I think they will be bigger as a group. They will have a few DB's that are new, but very rarely do we lack for athletes. The LB's will have some proving to do, but 2 have plenty of experience last year and both are hitters. They will miss King I think the most. His in game instincts were very good for what amounts to a first year player. The Courtland game will be a good test on the D line. And to be honest the Culpeper game may be a good test for the DB's as they have very good WR's (just not sure if they will have a QB that can throw). But we will have big athletes on the line..
Your sons a beast! The younger Spangler kid should open some eyes as well

Louisa

Positives
  • Brandon Smith (Penn St) returns, up to 227 lbs and counting, and much stronger than last year, which is scary.
  • Jarett Hunter returns as a junior, is the most well-rounded/dynamic athlete on the team, and is taller. Will most likely be QB.
  • Very good but unproven WR group - 6' 7" receiver Marc Carter returns as a senior. Brandon Smith will probably see more time at WR/TE. The one to watch will be newcomer Noah Robinson, as he has D1 size, speed, and hands.
  • Two returning offensive linemen and a TE who saw time last year.
  • A couple of transfers who should contribute right away.
  • Coaching staff is young but experienced and knows what it takes to compete with the state's best.
  • Up and coming talented but unproven RBs.
  • LB/RB Reggie Cosby, who got hurt for the year in game 3, will return as a senior.
Negatives
  • The losses of Malik Bell (VT), Job Whalen (Glenville St) and Raquan Jones (Chowan), who were the reasons the offense was so successful, especially Bell.
  • The starting center, who got hurt for the year midway through the season, will not return due to his knee.
  • The losses of Tony Thurston (JMU) and Devin Jackson-McGhee, two beasts at defensive ends.
  • The losses of Whalen and company on defense, who finally played both ways last year.
  • The loss of Coach Fischer. (But he's still kickin' and doing well!)
Question Marks
  • The QB situation - a transfer from Florida and Hunter will battle for the starting job, but I think it'll ultimately fall to Hunter. If so, I think the other kid will play WR
  • How will the offense look without Bell?
  • How will the offensive line step up?
  • How will RB Robbie Morgan and fellow new RBs step up? They have huge shoes to fill
  • How will Smith's supporting cast step up? Fellow LB Austin Sims didn't start until midway through last season and showed flashes, but how will he respond with more new players around? How will the front 7 be? The more pressure they can take off of Smith, the better.
  • The DB core may be better than last year's, led by Hunter and Robinson, but how soon can they gel? Morgan has been doing well so far defensively.
  • As with EV, will the Lions continue to play with a chip on their shoulders? What leaders will emerge besides Smith? Will Coach Patrick be able to motivate the kids in his own way? It'll be hard to match Fischer in that department, as Coach Meeks learned before Fischer's return.
  • Can the Lions buck the trend of down seasons after playoff runs? If so, it'll be a huge accomplishment and another step up as a program. Consistency is key.
If the Lions have a good season, I would love for them and EV to get a crack at each other this time around.

Last edited:
You clearly misunderstood the assignment. I asked about your team? But also, we are not talking about 10 years, we are talking about what they were last year, what improvements they made, where they have question marks etc. Although your facts may be correct, there they were, toe to toe with the all season long (almost unanimous #1) and on their field, taking a loss from a "10 seconds left" field goal. So from that moment.. how do they compare now, this year in all it's preseason glory... I'm saying they will be better than that.

Oh I understand the assignment, I was just stating the facts that's all, they may be better then last year, prove it that's all

Louisa

Positives
  • Brandon Smith (Penn St) returns, up to 227 lbs and counting, and much stronger than last year, which is scary.
  • Jarett Hunter returns as a junior, is the most well-rounded/dynamic athlete on the team, and is taller. Will most likely be QB.
  • Very good but unproven WR group - 6' 7" receiver Marc Carter returns as a senior. Brandon Smith will probably see more time at WR/TE. The one to watch will be newcomer Noah Robinson, as he has D1 size, speed, and hands.
  • Two returning offensive linemen and a TE who saw time last year.
  • A couple of transfers who should contribute right away.
  • Coaching staff is young but experienced and knows what it takes to compete with the state's best.
  • Up and coming talented but unproven RBs.
  • LB/RB Reggie Cosby, who got hurt for the year in game 3, will return as a senior.
Negatives
  • The losses of Malik Bell (VT), Job Whalen (Glenville St) and Raquan Jones (Chowan), who were the reasons the offense was so successful, especially Bell.
  • The starting center, who got hurt for the year midway through the season, will not return due to his knee.
  • The losses of Tony Thurston (JMU) and Devin Jackson-McGhee, two beasts at defensive ends.
  • The losses of Whalen and company on defense, who finally played both ways last year.
Question Marks
  • The QB situation. A transfer from Florida and Hunter will battle for the starting job, but I think it'll ultimately fall to Hunter. If so, I think the other kid will play WR
  • How will the offense look without Bell?
  • How will the offensive line step up?
  • How will RB Robbie Morgan and fellow new RBs step up? They have huge shoes to fill
  • How will Smith's supporting cast step up? Fellow LB Austin Sims didn't start until midway through last season and showed flashes, but how will he respond with more new players around? How will the front 7 be? The more pressure they can take off of Smith, the better.
  • The DB core may be better than last year's, led by Hunter and Robinson, but how soon can they gel? Morgan has been doing well so far defensively.
  • As with EV, will the Lions continue to play with a chip on their shoulders? What leaders will emerge besides Smith? Will Coach Patrick be able to motivate the kids in his own way? It'll be hard to match Fischer in that department, as Coach Meeks learned before Fischer's return.
  • Can the Lions buck the trend of down seasons after playoff runs? If so, it'll be a huge accomplishment and another step up as a program. Consistency is key.
If the Lions have a good season, I would love for them and EV to get a crack at each other this time around.

Nice prospective. I like the idea of EV vs Louisa in the playoffs. The area would come to watch that as well. Almost had it last year.

There a very few cupcake games in 4b. Whoever one plays in the second round is going to be a tough one. Getting the right match up.is the key to moving on in round two and three.

There a very few cupcake games in 4b. Whoever one plays in the second round is going to be a tough one. Getting the right match up.is the key to moving on in round two and three.

I agree and I think the degree of separation from the top seeds over the bottom seeds wont be as drastic this year.

I agree and I think the degree of separation from the top seeds over the bottom seeds wont be as drastic this year.
Who knows? History tells me something else. The top 4 teams in B lost some good players, but I dont expect a huge drop.off.

EV will be unbeaten and Louisa could be as well if they are prepared in week #1. I dont see Monacan and Dinwiddie being unbeaten, but sound teams.

With the exception of Hanover's one year run no other team has stepped up and more importantly the first round games have been blowouts. We will find out in week one about Courtland. @mbonape1who else do you see being able to challenge the "big four".

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Courtland had their state semi run the same year Hanover was good, both teams losing to LT. Crazy how they both haven't done much since, and teams like PH haven't stepped up.

Who knows? History tells me something else. The top 4 teams in B lost some good players, but I dont expect a huge drop.off.

EV will be unbeaten and Louisa could be as well if they are prepared in week #1. I dont see Monacan and Dinwiddie being unbeaten, but sound teams.

With the exception of Hanover's one year run no other team has stepped up and more importantly the first round games have been blowouts. We will find out in week one about Courtland. @mbonape1who else do you see being able to challenge the "big four".

Not sure that their will be a new challenger in our region step up and really really threaten the big 4... but I don't think the first round games will be 40 point blowouts either this year. I agree that EV will be undefeated and I am starting to think Louisa will be as well. What game will they NOT be favored in? Monacan, Dinwiddie, and Louisa all seem to be content with the narrative that EV is easily the best team in the region. Their may be some bird-dogging going on if you ask me. @BleedingNavy and @anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b there is sand coming out of your jeans! The more I look at it I am thinking it is going to be the same 4-way war as last year just a new breed.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
I am a Salem fan. We'll show up for all our games this year. We may win a few. Our talent level should not be measured by college scholarship offers. We will block and tackle well with tough minded physical players.

Not sure that their will be a new challenger in our region step up and really really threaten the big 4... but I don't think the first round games will be 40 point blowouts either this year. I agree that EV will be undefeated and I am starting to think Louisa will be as well. What game will they NOT be favored in? Monacan, Dinwiddie, and Louisa all seem to be content with the narrative that EV is easily the best team in the region. Their may be some bird-dogging going on if you ask me. @BleedingNavy and @anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b there is sand coming out of your jeans! The more I look at it I am thinking it is going to be the same 4-way war as last year just a new breed.
Lol. Sandbagging? You guys can call it anyway you desire. We all lost playmakers and experience. Yes, we are all capable of reloading, but think about the studs we are all replacing. Hunter, Bell, Whalen, Pope, Fludd, Thurston, Bridy, King' and many others. Each team has some sound returning talent, but the lost senior leadership could be a factor for us all.

What rising senior is going to step up? I know one who just like Bell from last year is playing with a huge chip on his shoulder.

Reactions: mbonape1
Yes Spangler looks like he will follow closely to his brothers talent level or beyond. Great young men too.
Biggest thing this year for EV (I think) is replacing Hunter/Spangler/King in the secondary. That's a lot to replace. Hopefully the D-Line can supply more pressure up front to let the newbies in the secondary get their feet under them. Although EV will more than likely dominate Culpeper in the first game offensively, it will be interesting to see how the new guys in the secondary respond in a rival game.

Salem has some challenges.
Losses were many, starting with Deangelo Ramsey.They also lost 3 starters along offensive line and two of the best wide receivers around in Viante Tucker and Joe Quinn and DB Nick Wade. They also lost one of the best kickers in the state. They lost 3 year starter Tae Hale. There will be challenges early with Amherst and Dinwiddie and 6a Franklin County, who were the only team to beat the Salem Jv team last year 13-9. The offensive line has potential and the defense has opportunity to be special but we will see. It may take awhile to get experience at certain positions. They return the QB , Jack Gladden, who really settled in last year and Bobby Pinello who will be a very solid player along with Avery Close. Who will be breakaway receiver? Who will score? Big Dajon Cardwell will return for his senior season and he will anchor the anchor the line. In summary I think Salem will be tough and they have some younger players and former reserves who are the next man up. Hopefully they will jell before playoffs.Overall, you have to say they will be down a little but I hesitate because two years ago they lost Deangelo Ramsey and still won state against Dinwiddie. Last year they lost Bobby Pinello and still won. In 2015 they had probably the most injury plagued year they have ever had and still, somehow beat Lake Taylor. They will not win the state every year.

Last edited:
Honestly guys, if Courtland can get a blocker or just someone to get in the way of Smith, they are going to move the ball very well agiants the Lions. White has to much speed and with the other two heavy hitters coming out of back field will wear Louisa down. I think Smith and his enormous talent will be required to do to much which will cause him to overrun plays. Look for the Cougars to hit thier new TE on several plays. Mixing up the O this year, going to more unpredictable if thats possible. Courtland new Soph LB is going to be a special player. Speed and size, hope he has been watching the guy over in mineral? He has that ability! Louisa is in the same boat Courtland was 3 years ago when we lost 26 seniors and 16 of 21 starters. That was the first time in about 20 years that we had to rebuild more than just reload. You saw the results the past 3 years with 5-5 6-4 and 6-4 records and 1st round loses. The cupboard has been replenished, running a good mix of old and young.They will also have a hellacious JV this year. Cougars do pretty darn well being the smallest school in the county and continuously walk the line between 4A and 3A.

Reactions: mbonape1
Honestly guys, if Courtland can get a blocker or just someone to get in the way of Smith, they are going to move the ball very well agiants the Lions. White has to much speed and with the other two heavy hitters coming out of back field will wear Louisa down. I think Smith and his enormous talent will be required to do to much which will cause him to overrun plays. Look for the Cougars to hit thier new TE on several plays. Mixing up the O this year, going to more unpredictable if thats possible. Courtland new Soph LB is going to be a special player. Speed and size, hope he has been watching the guy over in mineral? He has that ability! Louisa is in the same boat Courtland was 3 years ago when we lost 26 seniors and 16 of 21 starters. That was the first time in about 20 years that we had to rebuild more than just reload. You saw the results the past 3 years with 5-5 6-4 and 6-4 records and 1st round loses. The cupboard has been replenished, running a good mix of old and young.They will also have a hellacious JV this year. Cougars do pretty darn well being the smallest school in the county and continuously walk the line between 4A and 3A.
I don’t get why they don’t pull more students from massaponax. The same could be said for spotsylvania pulling from riverbend. All the spotsy schools could be 5A/4A

Courtland with an unpredictable offense? I'll have to see it. I don't have stats but I would think they run the ball 90% of the time. I don't see the old dog learning a new trick.

Reactions: hamspear and OCBoy
Yes this was 7 on 7, but for what it's worth, Louisa shut out Brookville yesterday. That surprises me, even with Brookville's new QB.

Unless I missed it somewhere, there is one big factor in Louisa. Not only did they lose all those big playmakers, they lost a great coach.

That may cause some strife for them this year

Courtland with an unpredictable offense? I'll have to see it. I don't have stats but I would think they run the ball 90% of the time. I don't see the old dog learning a new trick.
At this point, I don't either. But that's the thing with Courtland, you always have to be prepared for the chance that they add some wrinkles. If you aren't, they will score quickly.

Charlottesville was there but they did not attend any of the team scrimmages. Grassfield Appomattox Brooksville and Louisa went head-to-head Monday and Tuesday.
How did Brookville do against Appomattox?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT