ADVERTISEMENT

VA Preps Preseason top 10

The Jamboree starts at 11:00 and usually runs until about 5:00. There are five teams involved and they mix and match them so that everybody gets either two or three scrimmages (I think only two.) I have not seen the complete schedule and I am not sure it is ever published. We have some other RHS fans on here so if anyone else does know the exact schedule, I am sure they will post it. The other teams this year are Appo, Fort Defiance, James River, and Central Woodstock.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
The Jamboree starts at 11:00 and usually runs until about 5:00. There are five teams involved and they mix and match them so that everybody gets either two or three scrimmages (I think only two.) I have not seen the complete schedule and I am not sure it is ever published. We have some other RHS fans on here so if anyone else does know the exact schedule, I am sure they will post it. The other teams this year are Appo, Fort Defiance, James River, and Central Woodstock.

Some of that size listed by Essex Trojan 1was unbelievable man. I been around FB for 50+ years,
And kids that carry that weight to me are in danger of stoke or heart problems in a lot of cases.
Kids that size if they are not 6-7, 6-8, or taller usually have rolls of fat, and big ankles, with large
Waist. If these kids can move, then you got something special my freind. Best of luck to those
Trojans this fall!

Some of that size listed by Essex Trojan 1was unbelievable man. I been around FB for 50+ years,
And kids that carry that weight to me are in danger of stoke or heart problems in a lot of cases.
Kids that size if they are not 6-7, 6-8, or taller usually have rolls of fat, and big ankles, with large
Waist. If these kids can move, then you got something special my freind. Best of luck to those
Trojans this fall!
The 6'3" 378lbs. senior played both ways and made all-state 2nd team as a D lineman last season. In the trenches, they put in work. Opponents won't have it easy moving them.

EssexTrojan1, I want to personally commend that young man for playing Football at Essex and
Accomplishing State Awards. I hope he can continue to succeed this year, and set an example
For other Trojans on and off the field of play.
I have followed Essex over the years ( in print ), and no doubt Essex has a tremendous football
Tradition. You and others in the Essex should be proud of your team. I am, My Friend !
Again, best of luck!

Reactions: uvacavs1
EssexTrojan1, I want to personally commend that young man for playing Football at Essex and
Accomplishing State Awards. I hope he can continue to succeed this year, and set an example
For other Trojans on and off the field of play.
I have followed Essex over the years ( in print ), and no doubt Essex has a tremendous football
Tradition. You and others in the Essex should be proud of your team. I am, My Friend !
Again, best of luck!
Thanks Chilwar25. We are proud of our teams here in Essex. Good luck to your squad this season.

Altavista # 7 Does someone know something that I don't know. Are they going to be good this year?
Altavista didn't look too bad against Buckingham yesterday. They have a man of a running back and play makers outside. Decent size on both sides but I think they're weak spot is with the QB. Not knocking the kid just lacking athleticism. Decent arm though but not very big kid. They will be better than last year.

Galax should be pretty good this year, but when you lose a player like Spurlin it will make a difference on how far you can go. I don't think they will have anyone capable of doing all the things he did last year. They will have to step up as a team to fill the void. They have got a pretty good back in Peoples to replace Harris, different running styles but Peoples should have a good year if he and the line can stay healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Hey Essex Trojan1, how did those Trojans do in their scrimmage ( if they had a scrimmage)?
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything posted, and how did my big man do we were
Taking about?

Galax should be pretty good this year, but when you lose a player like Spurlin it will make a difference on how far you can go. I don't think they will have anyone capable of doing all the things he done last year. They will have to step up as a team to fill the void. They have got a pretty good back in Peoples to replace Harris, different running styles but Peoples should have a good year if he and the line can stay healthy.
Can't wait for that game for one we get to see to great teams playing ball. 2 everyone will know how to dress haha.

Reactions: Chilwar25
Hey Essex Trojan1, how did those Trojans do in their scrimmage ( if they had a scrimmage)?
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything posted, and how did my big man do we were
Taking about?
It was Essex @ 2A Bruton this past Friday. I didn't make it down to the Williamsburg area to see the scrimmage. It was toooooo HOT!!! Lol. Looking at the 6pm new that evening, the weather guy said with the humidity, it felt like 105-107. I'm a Fall/Winter guy. Lol. I was told they did well. As with all teams this time of year, there are things to work on. As for "big man", I'm sure he did his part. I remember seeing on Facebook, someone calling him "Big Nasty" last season. Lol. This week Essex is home against K&Q, Middlesex and Sussex. Here's last season highlight of "Big Nasty".

Last edited:
Essex Trogan1, the Hudl highlite film of "BIG NASTY" was very, very, very impressive. I can see
Why he made ALL STATE as a junior at Essex. The guy is a Beast!
What you said about him, man you were right on. The guy can move. He is quick. He can block
And tackle. If some D1 College don't offer him a scholarship, the recruiters need their heads
Examined. Again, I am impressed.
I hope Essex did well in their scrimmage. Keep me posted on Essex and Big Nasty!

Hey EssexTrogan1, I have watched a lot of film and tape in my life, but Big Nasty is
Impressive. I say that having taped and or filmed over 500 football games in my
Life. I am not bull sh**ting when I say this guy is something special, My Friend.
I watched the HUDL tape 3 times this A.M. WOW!!!
I would like to see a isolation tape of him, close up . Again, the man is a Beast!

He's a solid player. His senior leadership will be needed this year. The other big guy I was talking about, who is a (So.) this coming fall, is 6' or 6'1" and is heavier and wider. Last years program had him listed at 400lbs. If he keep his head in the game( dedicate himself to what needs to be done to be a football player), he can be a beast as well. A friend of mine saw him at a jv game. He said the young man was double teamed by 2 O lineman. He got low and put one hand on each Guy's chest and shoved them back with one big thrust. Almost lifting them off the ground. I would like to see him drop some pounds though. I was told, we only have about 5 seniors on the team this year. If true, we'll be making noise for a couple more years with what we have.

Reactions: Chilwar25
Finally I heard a little bit about the jamboree this Saturday at Riverheads. It starts at 11:00 as I had mentioned. Fort, Central, and James River play the earlier games. Appomattox and Riverheads, which will likely be the headliner, will scrimmage each other around 2:45. Then Riverheads wraps up against Fort Defiance around 4:00. Times are general estimates and sometime in years past, they would decide as they go along whether to play the extra untimed downs or not. In this case, the weather could also impact some of those decisions.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
Mt Fan, gives us a update on Galax scrimmage and team progress so far. Hey, we got to
Know how our SWVA State Champs are going to do this year!
Really, how about those Maroons so far????

I don't put much stock into the scrimmages because most teams aren't going to show much. I know coach Dixon isn't going to show anything so it's really hard to take much a from the scrimmages but they looked ok. You should be able to tell a little more about them after Friday but I still don't expect them to show a whole lot. Overall Galax should have a good solid team this year and maybe make another good run but time will tell.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
I think a lot of people are sleeping on Hurley. They may legitimately go 10-0. The only team on their schedule that could trip them up is Shelby Valley, KY. Other than that, with Honaker being way down, I think Hurley is primed to run the table. Could make it interesting for who will get the top seed. I'd suspect a lot of teams have never played football in a place like "The Cliff."

I think Hurley will go 10-0 and like everyone else is saying maybe 9-1 if Shelby can beat them. But I don't see that happening the Rebs will run the table.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
This "cliff" sounds interesting. Who knows... might get to see it someday? I know this would be a tough task, but can you describe it and tell us what is special about it?

007-_XL.jpg

I hope I not offend anyone, but D1 looks to be weak this year, as compared to last 2,3, or 4 years.

No offense taken and I can see how it might seem that way. But the talent level is still the same. It's just a few of the normal big contenders are down this season. So we are seeing new names at the top but trust me they belong at the top. You yourself k lows that the east has its usual top dogs. And the west has GW, Galax, Hurley, PH ect and you also have teams like Radford and Honaker that are way down by there own standards.

Ryan:

Thanks for the photo. That does look interesting. How about seating capacity? How many people at the average game? Bleachers on both sides or just one?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT