ADVERTISEMENT

Valley man

Dec 17, 2016
In your last post you referred to Leemen as 'not your daddy's' team. Are you saying that the younger Hatcher posts on here as Leemen. That would explain the way he always is talking about how good a coach he is. Bahahaha

I can assure you that I'm not Jarrett Hatcher. I think he was referencing older Lee team's from the Paul Hatcher era. I do still believe this Lee team will be making a deep run. On the younger Hatcher being a good coach...I still think he is. He has to deal with a lot of different dynamics than his dad did. For one...following in Paul's footsteps. That would have been nearly impossible for anyone to do without critics. As a Lee fan...I think the problem is that Lee fans are spoiled. We expect state titles every year...but in reality that's not going to happen. I wonder how many teams would love to be 15-4 right now and playing for a no.1 seed in their conference tourney? Good years at Lee are considered bad...while those same good years at other programs would be considered great.

Reactions: AntGZee
Why are the Lee fans so critical? Lee has lost to Spotswood, Martinsville and Harrisonburg. They shouldn't be ashamed at those losses. Going undefeated nowadays is tough. There's still a lot of basketball to be played. People that trivialize the coach at Lee should give coaching a try. They would soon see that it's not an easy job.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Why are the Lee fans so critical? Lee has lost to Spotswood, Martinsville and Harrisonburg. They shouldn't be ashamed at those losses. Going undefeated nowadays is tough. There's still a lot of basketball to be played. People that trivialize the coach at Lee should give coaching a try. They would soon see that it's not an easy job.
Well said. I am a Lee fan and wish they played better defense, but understand that coaches are different. P.Hatcher and J.Hatcher are father and son, but are different in their personalities and coaching styles, you can see it watching them coach. It is what it is. Like you said, J.Hatcher has this Lee team at 16-4 and in position to make a run in the 2A playoffs. IMO, Lee and East Rockingham will make it to the final four from the east. East Rockingham is underated, they could be the best team in 2A. Lee doesn't play defense like P.Hatcher teams did, but I think they have enough to get by Madison and any other East teams except ER. There is a lot of basketball to be played, so let's just see how it unfolds!

I've seen Lee play. They might beat Madison...but they will have to play much better defense than what I have seen from them to do so.

No and i can see why you thought that. I apologize. My meaning was "this isn't the Leemen of 10-15-20 years ago.

Well I guess we have to take Leemen at his word. I guess it makes since. You would have to be pretty pathetic to come on here anonymously and toot your own horn.

As long as GC came out on top I guess I'd be pretty happy with that Lol they will have to get their act together or they won't make it far enough to even play a team from Northern/Eastern VA.

The playoffs should be interesting. There's no dominant team in 2A, like the Martinsville team from last year.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
With having just an average big man GC would be absolutely dominant this year....BUT they don't....so they arent. The "what ifs" will have to continue on I suppose. I'm not counting them out....But the lack of a true post player kills so many dimensions of the game that championship teams thrive on.

Martinsville doesn't have a true big man either. I do feel ya pain. Lack of a big man means teams will have to step their game up. Hustle, gettin' 50/50 balls, keeping mistakes to a minimum; along with good Free Throw shooting will win a team some games in the playoffs.

I've seen teams at the 1A and 2A level win it all without a true big man. Yes it takes hard nosed effort by the guys you do have but can be done. One team that immediately came to mind for me was the 2000 New Kent team led by current Mount St Mary's coach Jamion Christian. They only played about 6 guys and none were taller than 6'2". Not only did they win state but also went undefeated beating a Council team led by 6'9 Brad Nuckles in the finals. Just played tenacious defense and shared the ball really well. Also helped that Christian had range from half court. Lol. Also Colonial Beach in 07 or 08 won states with nobody taller than 6'3". Of course they had top notch players like TT Carey and Dylan Farinet but weren't a big team. Might be a little harder at the higher levels but in 1A or 2A I don't necessarily think height or lack of it is as much of a factor. Just my two cents

I agree you don't have to have a big man to win it all. And there's also other problems aside from no big man on this team. If the other problems were shored up I probably wouldnt notice the big man missing as much.

Obviously I haven't seen GC play yet but I do follow them and especially here lately it seems it's been a 2 man show for them with McClung and Ervin doing a bulk of the scoring. I know they have some other guys on the team who can score because I saw the box scores from earlier in the season. Think they will need one of those other guys to step up to give them a third option as they go deeper into the postseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT