ADVERTISEMENT

VaPreps top 10 last week

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I was just doing the math, and nearly 25% of the top 10 teams across all six classes total, (that actually had a game), lost last week. I would expect it to be high the first week, but not that high.

I wonder what it averages by mid-season?

Not a lot of significant changes. I don't think anyone moved more than 3 positions other than one school. EV moved into the top 10 in Class 4, while Dominion fell out of the top 10 from #5.

I am a va preps paying subscriber , and everytime I go on the home page to look at that stuff I find it difficult to find it. I will go look now.
Not sure why. I don't go to the VIP forum, just straight to the "Home" at the extreme right of the header. Not sure what the deal might be. Matt can probably offer some advice?

I think two things came together, maybe three.

CC is no ordinary 2a team. Dominion is not as good as people thought. And, Dominion wasn't prepared, maybe even looking past CC.

Reactions: mbonape1
I think two things came together, maybe three.

CC is no ordinary 2a team. Dominion is not as good as people thought. And, Dominion wasn't prepared, maybe even looking past CC.

Maybe so but that gets you booted out of the top 10 for sure no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
How about that whipping that Cox took? That sent them down in the poles like the Titanic.

Heritage NN lost Warhill! I wanted to take western branch over LT this week but I couldnt muster up the courage. Who has the best chance at getting upset in the 804 this week?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Gee, that's a tough question.

I don't think you can consider either team as being "upset" in the Battle of Chester. Unless somebody just runs away with it. Same for Varina and Medowbrook.

I think Henrico has a plauseable chance of upsetting Hermitage.

We would have to put our buddy Springer76 on life support if Woodside snuck into HSHC and came out with the win.

If Colonial Heights were to beat New Kent, I would call it a surprise. We just don't know if Buzz has truly got those boys playing rugged football yet. I want to cheer for him, but I just have a few doubts about how committed those kids really are to football.

If Coach Sims has got John Marshall playing as well as their score suggested last week, I can see a victory for them down in Petersburg.

Godwin beating Lee Davis would have everybody talking, but Godwin is better than you think. If LD gets caught looking past Godwin, Coach Strine's boys are capable of springing the upset.

I am a va preps paying subscriber , and everytime I go on the home page to look at that stuff I find it difficult to find it. I will go look now.

NEW VaPreps Top 10 Here

That link above has links up to ALL 60 in-depth previews we did on the Top Ten teams to start the season, which you can find in the link for the Preseason Top Tens.

Of course, not all of the previews - just a select few - are free. Many of them are premium for subscribers.

I'm all ears for ways to to make it easier to find stuff -- definitely willing to improve the navigation experience for all users.

Amherst was not even in the Preps Top 10, but the answer to your question is #5 Dominion lost to Clarke County (2A), 39-24.

Amherst was up for consideration, and in hindsight, I drank the kool-aid too much on Dominion. They do have some talent with the DT Pierre headed to Temple and WR Richardson going to Albany, plus made the State Semis last year. That loss surprised me a bit. However, it may be a sign that Clarke County is better than anticipated among Class 2 schools.

Class 4 was the hardest to narrow down for the Top 10. I had up to 9 schools on my Honorable Mention list. No other division had more than 7.

Gee, that's a tough question.

I don't think you can consider either team as being "upset" in the Battle of Chester. Unless somebody just runs away with it. Same for Varina and Medowbrook.

I think Henrico has a plauseable chance of upsetting Hermitage.

We would have to put our buddy Springer76 on life support if Woodside snuck into HSHC and came out with the win.

If Colonial Heights were to beat New Kent, I would call it a surprise. We just don't know if Buzz has truly got those boys playing rugged football yet. I want to cheer for him, but I just have a few doubts about how committed those kids really are to football.

If Coach Sims has got John Marshall playing as well as their score suggested last week, I can see a victory for them down in Petersburg.

Godwin beating Lee Davis would have everybody talking, but Godwin is better than you think. If LD gets caught looking past Godwin, Coach Strine's boys are capable of springing the upset.
I am not prepared for life support! I may need another cardioversion if that happens!!! Honestly, I don't see it happening!!
As far as Class 5 goes.... I will put a prediction out.... There will be no undefeated team going into the playoffs! I predict Dale to beat Hermitage. (Dale, Varina or Manchester could take the Panthers down)! Bird could lose to Dale, Manchester or Monacan! Varina could go 9-1 or 5-5 who knows!!! I talked to a very good "lead" on Varina today. He said," Varina runs a spread offense and without a passing game! WTH? They can't throw and catch!" "Why not just run a power I and run the ball down the throat!"
Last but not least.... HSHS has lost 1 to Herm.( should have won by 2 tds!). Riverbend could be tough. Lee-Davis worries me. They are big and physical and can pound the rock. Patrick Henry? I don't think so. Varina? I don't think so!!! HS goes in to playoffs 9-1. They start to catch their stride tomorrow!

I am not prepared for life support! I may need another cardioversion if that happens!!! Honestly, I don't see it happening!!
As far as Class 5 goes.... I will put a prediction out.... There will be no undefeated team going into the playoffs! I predict Dale to beat Hermitage. (Dale, Varina or Manchester could take the Panthers down)! Bird could lose to Dale, Manchester or Monacan! Varina could go 9-1 or 5-5 who knows!!! I talked to a very good "lead" on Varina today. He said," Varina runs a spread offense and without a passing game! WTH? They can't throw and catch!" "Why not just run a power I and run the ball down the throat!"
Last but not least.... HSHS has lost 1 to Herm.( should have won by 2 tds!). Riverbend could be tough. Lee-Davis worries me. They are big and physical and can pound the rock. Patrick Henry? I don't think so. Varina? I don't think so!!! HS goes in to playoffs 9-1. They start to catch their stride tomorrow!

@springer76 Will there be an undefeated 6A in Richmond is the question? I can see both TD and Manchester going undefeated. I say NO though. Too many potential land mines for both teams. I think we see a lot of 8-2 & 9-1's in 804 this years. Going to be tough for Dinwiddie to go undefeated as well.

Week 1 is going to tell us a lot.
Din vs Smithfiled - was Denbeigh just a tomato can or is Dinwiddie just "like that" again. Is smithfield who we think they are? We'll see tonight!

TD vs Bird
Manchester vs Riverbend
JR vs Freeman

Last edited:
If Thomas Dale can beat their "Achilles Heel" LC Bird on Friday and Hermitage next week I think they have a good chance. Although, Dinwiddie and Thomas Dale is not as intense as the "Battle of Chester" its very heated. Since 1999 Thomas Dale is 11-7 against the Generals and 4-6 in the last ten years. With the exception of 2007 (Dinwiddie won 41-6), 2009 (Thomas Dale won 35-0) and 2010 (Dinwiddie won 34-13) games between these two teams have been highly contested with the victor averaging 22.7 points and the loser averaging 15.1. For those who are mathematically challenged (DP) thats a 7.6 point margin of victory. The interesting fact about this series being since 2012 each team has captured two consecutive victories. Dinwiddie won last year 28-19, so maybe statistics/order will be on the Generals side.

Thomas Dale's early schedule is tough (Cosby (w), LC Bird, Hermitage, Matoaca and Dinwiddie), so we shall see. The Knights are very sound defensively and pound the rock. They will not make a ton of mistakes and beat themselves, so a win against them will be well earned.

Lets be honest here, Dinwiddie didn't get much from the game with Denbigh. The starters were done with 4:00 minutes left in the second quarter, so really what did we really learn about the Generals. Tonight is surely a step up and the Generals will have their hands full with Smithfield's playmakers. The next two weeks will be a nice measuring stick for this team. If Dinwiddie can win the next two then I will (win or lose to Thomas Dale) feel good about our chances in the class 4 playoffs.

Regarding Manchester I am not buying it. I just don't see them beating all of their toughest opponents Monacan, LC Bird and Hermitage. They could, but there is at least one loss and maybe three within that group.

Highland Springs will bounce back and end the season 9-1. They will get their revenge on Hermitage and be in the State Semis.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
@springer76 Will there be an undefeated 6A in Richmond is the question? I can see both TD and Manchester going undefeated. I say NO though. Too many potential land mines for both teams. I think we see a lot of 8-2 & 9-1's in 804 this years. Going to be tough for Dinwiddie to go undefeated as well.

Week 1 is going to tell us a lot.
Din vs Smithfiled - was Denbeigh just a tomato can or is Dinwiddie just "like that" again. Is smithfield who we think they are? We'll see tonight!

TD vs Bird
Manchester vs Riverbend
JR vs Freeman
Manchester and Riverbend should be a good one!

Matt, can you just put the top ten on the forum after a few days? Realize y
NEW VaPreps Top 10 Here

That link above has links up to ALL 60 in-depth previews we did on the Top Ten teams to start the season, which you can find in the link for the Preseason Top Tens.

Of course, not all of the previews - just a select few - are free. Many of them are premium for subscribers.

I'm all ears for ways to to make it easier to find stuff -- definitely willing to improve the navigation experience for all users.
thanks Matt I figured it out

Reactions: matthew328826
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT