• Varina

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Glen Allen

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
IMO will be the best game in the 804 on Friday. Saw GA on Friday and if they were still C5, they'd be my pick to win 5C and possibly meet Maury/Green Run in the final. Varina is finally finding some rhythm on offense. Still my pick to win it all in C4. Who y’all got?

Reactions: CRF4Dan and SFUWO
I'll take Varina in this one.
Me too but won’t be surprised if GA was to win. Unless Glen Allen has a hangover, it should be a very close game. GA made an undefeated Freeman team look very bad this past Friday.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Me too but won’t be surprised if GA was to win. Unless Glen Allen has a hangover, it should be a very close game. GA made an undefeated Freeman team look very bad this past Friday.
I hope it's a great game. I'm big on how teams match up with each other. Looks like GA matches up better with Freeman than they do Varina.

I agree with you @SFUWO, but my Generals could have been charged with reckless handling of a firearm on several occasions Friday night. Dinwiddie just kept shooting themselves in the foot on offense, defense, and special teams. Penalties, six turnovers, and some odd decisions led to one frustrating night. The crazy part is the Generals still had two opportunities to win the game in the fourth quarter. They rushed for more yards than Thomas Dale had in total yards too. The running game is so difficult to stop with Dalton, Tucker, and Wiggins clicking.

Not throwing shade on Dale they
played well, have some talented athletes and are very physical. A very well deserved win. Could be some interesting matchups in B come playoff time.

I hope it's a great game. I'm big on how teams match up with each other. Looks like GA matches up better with Freeman than they do Varina.
I tend to think the same but GA is insanely underrated athletically. Don’t know what happened in the second half, but they gave the last standing undefeated team in the 804, Dale all they could handle in the first half. We’ll see, I think both Glen Allen and Hermitage will give Varina a game before their showdown with the Springers.

Reactions: SFUWO
I agree with you @SFUWO, but my Generals could have been charged with reckless handling of a firearm on several occasions Friday night. Dinwiddie just kept shooting themselves in the foot on offense, defense, and special teams. Penalties, six turnovers, and some odd decisions led to one frustrating night. The crazy part is the Generals still had two opportunities to win the game in the fourth quarter. They rushed for more yards than Thomas Dale had in total yards too. The running game is so difficult to stop with Dalton, Tucker, and Wiggins clicking.

Not throwing shade on Dale they
played well, have some talented athletes and are very physical. A very well deserved win. Could be some interesting matchups in B come playoff time.
BN, totally understand the frustration when you can see a potentially dominant team that's hurting themselves. I don't see Dalton continuing to have those turnovers and the defense only gave up 2 real TD's(return td and very short field one td). And considering they way Dale celebrated(very classless I might say) as if they won a championship, this game clearly had more meaning for them. Only issue now is the Generals will be on the road now in playoffs.

I don't think it was classless at all. After taking the butt whipping last year that was a big win for the Knights. If the Generals don't want people to celebrate on our field then do your job. Gary Hess had a great point when he said Dinwiddie is the best 3 loss team in the State. Maybe so, but you can't make mistakes against good teams like, Salem, Phoebus, Varina, and King George. Why in the world would you play 15 yards off receivers knowing they are running stick and post routes. The db's didn't even guard the sticks on 3rd and long situations. Kick a line drive to a sprinter. Why are we kicking to him anyway? Throwing a rainbow into triple coverage after running the ball down their throats on the last drive. I still don't get not going under center with 1:31 left in the half and you are inside your own 5-10. Gave the ball right back to the Knights for an easy score before half time.

It was a total team loss! I have been watching Dinwiddie football for a long time and I realize this team is young, but they are uncharacteristically undisciplined as well. I have full faith in Coach Mills and this team come playoff time, but right now we are not going to win a regional championship playing like this. Yep going on the road and possibly a very low seed if we do not beat Matoaca.

SEEDS
1. King George
2. Varina
3. EV/Courtland
4. Huguenot
5. EV/Courtland
6. Dinwiddie
7. Hanover
8. ??????

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I think the 4 seed is very likely. I think for me that 5-5 season from 2019 has me not really worried. They hit bumps but eventually turned it on. I think this team is much better than that one. Luckily you have a couple down weeks coming up to really focus back on the fundamentals and you get a good test going into the playoffs with Matoaca. But you are 100% correct in that this team can't afford the mistakes any longer. After a while it becomes who you are !

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I don't think it was classless at all. After taking the butt whipping last year that was a big win for the Knights. If the Generals don't want people to celebrate on our field then do your job. Gary Hess had a great point when he said Dinwiddie is the best 3 loss team in the State. Maybe so, but you can't make mistakes against good teams like, Salem, Phoebus, Varina, and King George. Why in the world would you play 15 yards off receivers knowing they are running stick and post routes. The db's didn't even guard the sticks on 3rd and long situations. Kick a line drive to a sprinter. Why are we kicking to him anyway? Throwing a rainbow into triple coverage after running the ball down their throats on the last drive. I still don't get not going under center with 1:31 left in the half and you are inside your own 5-10. Gave the ball right back to the Knights for an easy score before half time.

It was a total team loss! I have been watching Dinwiddie football for a long time and I realize this team is young, but they are uncharacteristically undisciplined as well. I have full faith in Coach Mills and this team come playoff time, but right now we are not going to win a regional championship playing like this. Yep going on the road and possibly a very low seed if we do not beat Matoaca.

SEEDS
1. King George
2. Varina
3. EV/Courtland
4. Huguenot
5. EV/Courtland
6. Dinwiddie
7. Hanover
8. ??????
And the classless comment was really about the kid throwing football off the field at the end of the game. Just a bit overboard there.

And the classless comment was really about the kid throwing football off the field at the end of the game. Just a bit overboard there.
I get it. I wanted to ask the Dinwiddie County Sheriff why his officers were taking pictures with Dale? Freaking crazy! Trey Lucy for sheriff! 😂

• Haha
@BoKnowsSports, I find this game to be a very interesting matchup. We all know about Varinas lights out defense, but do you think Glen Allens offense can do enough damage to win this game? I know Glen Allen's defense is young and Varina's offense is still growing. Really on the fence on this one. I will take the better defense and Varina.

@BoKnowsSports, I find this game to be a very interesting matchup. We all know about Varinas lights out defense, but do you think Glen Allens offense can do enough damage to win this game? I know Glen Allen's defense is young and Varina's offense is still growing. Really on the fence on this one. I will take the better defense and Varina.
GA definitely has enough horses on the offensive side to give Varina a game. Dallas Chavis may be the best RB in the West End (though Herm’s Earl Winston may have something to say about that). Chavis, Christian Robinson Clarke (WR), Nana Utsy (QB), and those big o lineman will make them competitive against most teams in this area. Their offensive line is probably bigger than Varina’s and their defensive line is very big, fast and physical.

Though GA’s secondary is pretty good, Varina’s receiving group has my vote as the state’s best, collectively (even over KG; Varina has 5 WRs with D1 offers). Varina’s done a good job of getting their playmakers the ball which could spell trouble for GA. Eric Smith (Liberty commit) is finally healthy and D1 Carter is probably the most electrifying player in the 804. If Varina has success through the air, it’ll be a long night for GA, especially if they have trouble scoring on Varina’s defense.

Not that it matters but A LOT of these young GA players beat a lot of these young Varina players last year on JV. A lot of people sleep on GA, athletically, but their coaching staff is top 3 in Henrico County. There’s been a big turn within their football program in the last 6-7 years and they are one of the few schools that’s good in all sports. They came very close to beating Herm, Varina, and HS during COVID year and their staff has done an excellent job of building from that season and most importantly, he hired most of Herm’s staff. From those hires, they’ve have Herm’s two best underclassmen in Adam Ramadan and Walt Brooks. A lot of those kids who lived on the GA line who’d go to Herm, are now staying at GA. I say all that to say this, they are without question the most complete team in the West End.

GA definitely has enough horses on the offensive side to give Varina a game. Dallas Chavis may be the best RB in the West End (though Herm’s Earl Winston may have something to say about that). Chavis, Christian Robinson Clarke (WR), Nana Utsy (QB), and those big o lineman will make them competitive against most teams in this area. Their offensive line is probably bigger than Varina’s and their defensive line is very big, fast and physical.

Though GA’s secondary is pretty good, Varina’s receiving group has my vote as the state’s best, collectively (even over KG; Varina has 5 WRs with D1 offers). Varina’s done a good job of getting their playmakers the ball which could spell trouble for GA. Eric Smith (Liberty commit) is finally healthy and D1 Carter is probably the most electrifying player in the 804. If Varina has success through the air, it’ll be a long night for GA, especially if they have trouble scoring on Varina’s defense.

Not that it matters but A LOT of these young GA players beat a lot of these young Varina players last year on JV. A lot of people sleep on GA, athletically, but their coaching staff is top 3 in Henrico County. There’s been a big turn within their football program in the last 6-7 years and they are one of the few schools that’s good in all sports. They came very close to beating Herm, Varina, and HS during COVID year and their staff has done an excellent job of building from that season and most importantly, he hired most of Herm’s staff. From those hires, they’ve have Herm’s two best underclassmen in Adam Ramadan and Walt Brooks. A lot of those kids who lived on the GA line who’d go to Herm, are now staying at GA. I say all that to say this, they are without question the most complete team in the West End.
Is it possible that Freeman was just massively overrated? I know GA is much improved but I’ll still take Varina everyday of the week and 2x on Friday. Varina by 2 scores. Good for GA though in building that program up. There really needs to be a good team in western Henrico for RVA football to be complete.

Is it possible that Freeman was just massively overrated? I know GA is much improved but I’ll still take Varina everyday of the week and 2x on Friday. Varina by 2 scores. Good for GA though in building that program up. There really needs to be a good team in western Henrico for RVA football to be complete.
I definitely oversold Freeman. I’ve also been adamant that I have little faith in the Mavs finishing the job when it matters. I think a lot of their program but you can’t play a weenie hut junior schedule and compete for a region title in the 804. Fact is, Glen Allen beats Freeman by at least 3 scores even with Freeman’s two best players 100%. If you look at my post in the 5C thread, I said that GA would be the best team in the West End before the season started. I believe this Varina team is the most talented team from top to bottom in C4. I have Varina winning this game but it’ll be a lot closer than many people expect.

Reactions: mbonape1
I definitely oversold Freeman. I’ve also been adamant that I have little faith in the Mavs finishing the job when it matters. I think a lot of their program but you can’t play a weenie hut junior schedule and compete for a region title in the 804. Fact is, Glen Allen beats Freeman by at least 3 scores even with Freeman’s two best players 100%. If you look at my post in the 5C thread, I said that GA would be the best team in the West End before the season started. I believe this Varina team is the most talented team from top to bottom in C4. I have Varina winning this game but it’ll be a lot closer than many people expect.
I am still struggling to rank Dinwiddie, KF, and Varina against each other. Beginning to think Varina and KG might be a better collective but also feeling like Harry Dalton is the only player on either of the teams that Can flat out win you a game when it matters. I am interested to see if Huguenot can hang in there with Manchester on Friday. My feeling is Manchester would potentially win 4B or be seriously in the conversation. I realize they aren’t even in class 4 but I am only going to use them as a frame of reference to see just how far the Falcons have come… or haven’t yet. @BoKnowsSports - I think we have both seen both teams live this year. I think Huguenot hangs around for 3 quarters but Manchester separates ultimately for a 2 touchdown win. If this happens I would rank Huguenot 4th in the region. A larger margin and I lead to putting EV at the 4 spot. Should Huguenot keep it very close or win… I’d really be confused. Back to Varina, I think they have the chance to make a statement this week and there is no time like the present. Should be a fun Friday

I'm pretty sure the line play of Manchester will be a shock to system for Huguenot. I'll give credit to Huguenot they've beat the lesser teams that they should have and beat the 1 team that was about equal to them. Think this one is over by halftime.

@BoKnowsSports Herm is very interesting. They are not the most crisp team you're going to see this year but the talent they have is amazingly still on Varina/HSHS level. I was sort of shocked to see with all the mess they are still loaded. That RB is dynamic and will single handily win them at least 1 playoff game.

As for VHS, King George, and Dinwiddie. . . can the VHSL sanction a royal rumble?????

I am still struggling to rank Dinwiddie, KF, and Varina against each other. Beginning to think Varina and KG might be a better collective but also feeling like Harry Dalton is the only player on either of the teams that Can flat out win you a game when it matters. I am interested to see if Huguenot can hang in there with Manchester on Friday. My feeling is Manchester would potentially win 4B or be seriously in the conversation. I realize they aren’t even in class 4 but I am only going to use them as a frame of reference to see just how far the Falcons have come… or haven’t yet. @BoKnowsSports - I think we have both seen both teams live this year. I think Huguenot hangs around for 3 quarters but Manchester separates ultimately for a 2 touchdown win. If this happens I would rank Huguenot 4th in the region. A larger margin and I lead to putting EV at the 4 spot. Should Huguenot keep it very close or win… I’d really be confused. Back to Varina, I think they have the chance to make a statement this week and there is no time like the present. Should be a fun Friday
After watching Phoebus/Hampton, no way in hell do I want to hear about them beating any of those three 4B teams. Dalton will be very hard to beat come playoff time (especially with all of the naysayers regarding his turnovers). KG is so dangerous because they’ve been knocking on the door so long and those studs are finally seniors. I think their QB play has to get better if they’re gonna beat Varina or Dinwiddie. Varina has to establish the run game. They don’t have their traditional mobile QB so it’ll be interesting to see if they put some of those athletes they have at WR, in the backfield. That could be very dangerous if they put Jordan Edwards or D1 Carter back there.

After watching Phoebus/Hampton, no way in hell do I want to hear about them beating any of those three 4B teams. Dalton will be very hard to beat come playoff time (especially with all of the naysayers regarding his turnovers). KG is so dangerous because they’ve been knocking on the door so long and those studs are finally seniors. I think their QB play has to get better if they’re gonna beat Varina or Dinwiddie. Varina has to establish the run game. They don’t have their traditional mobile QB so it’ll be interesting to see if they put some of those athletes they have at WR, in the backfield. That could be very dangerous if they put Jordan Edwards or D1 Carter back there.
Are you saying that Phoebus is not the world beater we all thought they would be this season in C4?

One thing that many are overlooking at Dinwiddie is that Tucker or Wiggins would be outstanding backs all by themselves. Daulton‘s presence on the field only helps make them better. If the Dinwiddie defense can mature and do a better job covering the pass, and if they can do a better job covering kickoffs, then come playoff time, the Generals will be able to play with any of the Class 4 teams, regardless of the Region. One other thing that has bound to help Dinwiddie. There should be no apprehension on the part of the players about playing tough teams or playing on the big stage.

Are you saying that Phoebus is not the world beater we all thought they would be this season in C4?

One thing that many are overlooking at Dinwiddie is that Tucker or Wiggins would be outstanding backs all by themselves. Daulton‘s presence on the field only helps make them better. If the Dinwiddie defense can mature and do a better job covering the pass, and if they can do a better job covering kickoffs, then come playoff time, the Generals will be able to play with any of the Class 4 teams, regardless of the Region. One other thing that has bound to help Dinwiddie. There should be no apprehension on the part of the players about playing tough teams or playing on the big stage.
I think what you mention about the other players is true but it also true for the other aforementioned teams. I think Dalton is the biggest differentiator amongst those teams and I question if they have such a player to turn to, if they needed it. Especially since your best player is a QB (dual threat) that touches the ball every offensive play. 100% agree on your SOS, you played the best of the best. @DinwiddieProud and @BleedingNavy can we put a request in to fix the lens on the NFHS camera at Dinwiddie? It looks like every game is a pea-soup fog even when the weather is nice!

I think what you mention about the other players is true but it also true for the other aforementioned teams. I think Dalton is the biggest differentiator amongst those teams and I question if they have such a player to turn to, if they needed it. Especially since your best player is a QB (dual threat) that touches the ball every offensive play. 100% agree on your SOS, you played the best of the best. @DinwiddieProud and @BleedingNavy can we put a request in to fix the lens on the NFHS camera at Dinwiddie? It looks like every game is a pea-soup fog even when the weather is nice!
Unfortunately, the cameras and equipment belong to the NFHS Network. And there apparently is a strict “hands off” policy. Many of us have complained to the NFHS, but you see the results! I ask that you and everyone else go to the bottom of the Network home page, and follow the prompts to submit a repair request. Maybe, just maybe, if they get enough complaints they will address the problem. BTW, on one of their frequent emails about upcoming games was a Customer Survey. I know they don’t really care, but I held nothing back.

I’m with you about Harry Daulton. I believe he is, or almost is, one of the top 1% of athletes to come out of the area. As such, he has that unique ability to take over a game. That is the envy of every team, but when you add the fact that Wiggins, and especially Tucker, are exceptionally good in their own right, that is a dynamic that should result in great things. I think our game next week against Matoaca will be a tell-all game. With two weeks to prepare, if we don’t improve on defense, and cut down on the darn penalties, then it won’t matter how good the offense is.

Tell me the latest on your Monacan Chiefs.

Unfortunately, the cameras and equipment belong to the NFHS Network. And there apparently is a strict “hands off” policy. Many of us have complained to the NFHS, but you see the results! I ask that you and everyone else go to the bottom of the Network home page, and follow the prompts to submit a repair request. Maybe, just maybe, if they get enough complaints they will address the problem. BTW, on one of their frequent emails about upcoming games was a Customer Survey. I know they don’t really care, but I held nothing back.

I’m with you about Harry Daulton. I believe he is, or almost is, one of the top 1% of athletes to come out of the area. As such, he has that unique ability to take over a game. That is the envy of every team, but when you add the fact that Wiggins, and especially Tucker, are exceptionally good in their own right, that is a dynamic that should result in great things. I think our game next week against Matoaca will be a tell-all game. With two weeks to prepare, if we don’t improve on defense, and cut down on the darn penalties, then it won’t matter how good the offense is.

Tell me the latest on your Monacan Chiefs.
We looked good against Manchester. We could have scored 2 more times as our red zone struggles continue a bit. All in all I was proud bc they played hard which is all that I can ask. We didn’t have the horses to expect the win. We have Clover Hill and Richmond next two weeks so should get some wins there. Powhatan, JR, and Huguenot following. Making the playoffs for us will be tough but not impossible if we can keep improving week to week. 5-5 is most likely but I don’t think that will get us there. At 5-5 we would have to beat Huguenot Or Powhatan. Unfortunately, our rec program only fielded a flag and minors team. No juniors and seniors. I do think next year we will be better bc we have a lot of underclassman now on the roster that play significant roles. Hoping next year we have a better rec turnout to give us some building blocks for the future.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
We looked good against Manchester. We could have scored 2 more times as our red zone struggles continue a bit. All in all I was proud bc they played hard which is all that I can ask. We didn’t have the horses to expect the win. We have Clover Hill and Richmond next two weeks so should get some wins there. Powhatan, JR, and Huguenot following. Making the playoffs for us will be tough but not impossible if we can keep improving week to week. 5-5 is most likely but I don’t think that will get us there. At 5-5 we would have to beat Huguenot Or Powhatan. Unfortunately, our rec program only fielded a flag and minors team. No juniors and seniors. I do think next year we will be better bc we have a lot of underclassman now on the roster that play significant roles. Hoping next year we have a better rec turnout to give us some building blocks for the future.
I looked through the remaining games for you and the others in the lower half. I think you make the playoffs. Your next two games are a given. I think you can win two of the last three. That would all but guarantee you at least 8th. It’s not a terrible stretch for you to get in if you lose two of the last three.

LOL, maybe we can share the bus transportation cost for the playoffs. It is highly unlikely that we will finish 4th or above. I can hear Willie singing “on the road again!”

Reactions: mbonape1
Back to Varina vs GA. It’s probably not actually true, but I always think that a team like Varina is going to be tougher and grittier than a team from the western part of the area. Let’s face it, I bet it’s a much tougher lifestyle in the Varina area than out toward the “fashionable“ west end. But, if this was true, I guess the inner city schools would dominate the outliers? We know that’s seldom the case.

Back to Varina vs GA. It’s probably not actually true, but I always think that a team like Varina is going to be tougher and grittier than a team from the western part of the area. Let’s face it, I bet it’s a much tougher lifestyle in the Varina area than out toward the “fashionable“ west end. But, if this was true, I guess the inner city schools would dominate the outliers? We know that’s seldom the case.
This has proven true time and time again for Henrico county. Outside of Herm, I don't think the western schools have competed with HSHS or Varina since the early 2000s

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT