ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL or ACC Poll

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
Which organization is the dumbest when it comes to holding a tournament ? The VHSL uses the worst venue in the state for its basketball tournament. The ACC puts their tournament somewhere in New York. Even more stupid, the ACC moved baseball tournament to Louisville.
The people running these outfits supposedly have college degrees. ????????

The stories in today's papers about the ACC Tournament bring up reasons why they are playing in Brooklyn. Remember players like Kenny Anderson and Stephen Marbury? They were from NYC and came to ACC country to play. So in my opinion, a lot can be gained from the ACC showing its stuff in such a big market, and hopefully convincing some of those quality recruits that they might enjoy the ACC as much, if not more, than the Big East.

Besides, how could it be fair to hold the ACC tournament year in and year out in the state of North Carolina, which gave a huge advantage to those schools? If you want to complain about tournaments, put a stop to these smaller conferences that play their entire tournament on the home court of the highest seeds, which just about hands the NCAA bid to the regular season champion on a silver platter.

Reactions: drizzy1
Santa Claus is from North Pole, but that doesn't mean all Christmas parties have to be moved there. The ACC basketball tournament SHOULD NEVER be anywhere but Greensboro. Baseball tournament should never be anywhere but North Carolina.

Santa Claus is from North Pole, but that doesn't mean all Christmas parties have to be moved there. The ACC basketball tournament SHOULD NEVER be anywhere but Greensboro. Baseball tournament should never be anywhere but North Carolina.
Greensboro???? Why not just put Duke and UNCheat in the finals and move on. It's not like you were going no matter where it was held....the young men playing are excited about playing in the Big Apple and its great exposure for the ACC.

I'm torn....went to the ACC tournament in 2013 for first time ever with my Dad. Man, I loved the experience! Greensboro was the perfect size city for the tournament, it was easy to attract most ACC fans, though Miami played UNC in the final that year, and you would of thought the final was taking placing in the Dean Dome! (The U still pulled it out though) However, there is something cool for the kids in getting to play in NYC....sure your Duke's and UNC's may get to go their for the preseason N.I.T. or something like that and may not feel the uniqueness of it, but for a lot of the programs not in the upper echelon elite, it's a good opportunity to do what college is supposed to do, expose you to something that you may not have been open to before......

Now as for the Siegal Center debate. I have been there twice for state tournaments and enjoyed the location (could be comparable to putting ACC tournament in New York, for a small town kid watching his high school, it is pretty cool to be playing right in the heart of the city of Richmond....I don't get the same BIG TIME feel going into the Vines Center....sorry HR6) Now I do think it should be rotated like football though. Also, wanna see a state that messes up their tournaments and playoffs and makes you thankful for the VHSL check our neighbor in North Carolina. Attended a Girls Final Four game there this weekend....they hosted it at Methodist College, a D3 school. Methodist is a very pretty campus, but the gym is the size of a high school gym (I would compare it to being smaller or similar to Madison County's)....they hosted the 1A Regional championship to a crowd that was having to sit on the floor or stand in front of doors....and then as the 2A game (The one I bought a ticket for) was getting ready to start started begging fans from the last game over the loud speaker to please leave. By the time we got situated it was good we got there early, as the fire marshall would of been very upset at the numbers of people unable to sit and being jammed in big mobs at the exit or sitting on the floor. Now I have seen district tournaments with this problem, but in a state semifinal game, NC has enough Division 2 and Division 1 size gyms to accommodate I would think.....just a comparison and maybe we shouldn't hate on the VHSL as much as we do (oops I really didn't say that did I?)

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Until North Carolina changes the HB2 law no championships will be held there. The men's tourney was scheduled to be rotated around, but the baseball was moved, the women's bball was moved to Coastal Carolina and so on because of Carolina's bathroom bill.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Until North Carolina changes the HB2 law no championships will be held there. The men's tourney was scheduled to be rotated around, but the baseball was moved, the women's bball was moved to Coastal Carolina and so on because of Carolina's bathroom bill.
Craziest thing I've ever heard but in these days, sadly, they must change this bill if they want to have the tourney in Gboro.

But this argument to boycott seems invalid when the NCAA is still hosting regionals in NC and in 2019 the tourney is scheduled to be in Charlotte followed by Greensboro in 2020....the ACC and NCAA really aren't putting any teeth behind their boycott when the state literally isn't going a year without hosting something for NCAA basketball tournament or ACC tournament

What regionals are being hosted in NC? Heck the NBA moved the all-star game this year from Charlotte to New Orleans because of this bill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT