ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Reference 4A top ten

Shanti has demonstrated his regional bias repeatedly over the years. He knows very very little about football in SW Virginia but that does not stop him from discounting those teams. The only team that he knows in SW Virginia is Salem. However, the last two years Everytime Salem is matched against a team from Nova he picks the team from Nova. (been wrong Everytime).

I've decided no response is the best. I mean, are you actually throwing out Blacksburg as an opponent?

i do see regional bias. The best teams are in the NOVA and Tidewater areas. That's just all there is to it. My comment on Chancellor was that they were my dark horse team and they would be quite good. I don't see that as biased in that I have also discounted them for the last three years.

Amherst should give Salem some work. I hope so but it's tough to see that with what Salem returns. Pulaski continues to improve but they're just not that type of program anymore. Fleming is just no good. Blacksburg is a rug. They lay there. I can't imagine how anyone even mentioned them as competitive. It's why an undefeated team was not on top of last year's seedings. Poor SOS. That's not me. Those are the numbers according to the VHSL.

And if that Championship game was played again tomorrow, I'd still pick LT.

But who's got the ring?
The best teams in 6A and 5A are in NOVA and Tidewater. Probably getting close to a push in 4A now. Not remotely close to true in 3A, 2A and 1A. So there is actually a little more to it than you think.

East/ West: both areas have great teams in 3a and 4a. The championships go back and forth. I remember years ago Powhatan played a less rigorous schedule but just won and won. Salem is always there as others. Everyone is proud of their area but excellent football players are everywhere in Virginia, not just in one section. The only problem is during the season there is little interaction between east and west. Too bad finances play such a large determining factor. Win or lose I always enjoyed far more playing teams from other areas.

East/ West: both areas have great teams in 3a and 4a. The championships go back and forth. I remember years ago Powhatan played a less rigorous schedule but just won and won. Salem is always there as others. Everyone is proud of their area but excellent football players are everywhere in Virginia, not just in one section. The only problem is during the season there is little interaction between east and west. Too bad finances play such a large determining factor. Win or lose I always enjoyed far more playing teams from other areas.
I agree. Was more just trying to balance out the other poster's erroneous statement. Really not many 6A or 5A teams west of Richmond and there are good teams in Richmond as well. The teams in 4A West had an adjustment period with the reclassification but, things have evened out over time. I don't think there was ever the stark difference in 3A, 2A or 1A. Playing teams out of area always provides a new challenge and some interesting games, unfortunately finances nowadays makes that much more difficult.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Shanti has demonstrated his regional bias repeatedly over the years. He knows very very little about football in SW Virginia but that does not stop him from discounting those teams. The only team that he knows in SW Virginia is Salem. However, the last two years Everytime Salem is matched against a team from Nova he picks the team from Nova. (been wrong Everytime).
Actually not, but almost every time is correct. Still always among the top 3 pickers on the board all season long. But I am not embarrassed that I picked against Salem in all the last three games of 2015. Feel better now?

Lafayette at 10 is crazy. They absolutely man-handled Chancellor in their scrimmage on Thursday. They also have the best WR in the state in VT commit Hezzy Grimsley!

Lafayette at 10 is crazy. They absolutely man-handled Chancellor in their scrimmage on Thursday. They also have the best WR in the state in VT commit Hezzy Grimsley!
Strange how people saw completely opposite things. There were at least 3 looks at the Chancellor/Lafayette scrimmage on Friday. Not one was even close to your eval.

Doesn't mean you might be wrong but several reports were from people who have been here awhile like Skynard and Lafayette10. Each has some clear favoritism. You know which team they root for but they also retain enough objectivity to keep things in perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT