ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Should have...

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
VHSL should have changed the Class 4 semi-finals to a cross-bracket format when they changed Class 6. I think most of us agree that the winner of, Phoebus vs whoever wins Region B, will probably win the State Championship.

Last edited:
@VolNation85, I have begged for cross bracketing since 2015 and I think it would bring some extra excitement into the final four.

I am not sure if you being sarcastic or not, but surely do not agree with your prognostication about the winner of A and B semi-final being the eventual champion.

I truly believe Salem will be a very formidable opponent and they have proved themselves over and over. In fact, the Spartans have the athletes and weapons to compete with anyone in Region A and B. With the exception of the top two teams in Region C, I have seen all of the major contenders. Salems defense and offense are surely top 5 if not better in Class 4. I am not sure if anyone else can claim that.

VHSL should have changed the Class 4 semi-finals to a cross-bracket format when they changed Class 6. I think most of us agree that the winner of, Phoebus vs whoever wins Region B, will probably win the State Championship.
You may be right, and I would say I'm keeping receipts, but that didn't work out well for Deion, so I'll just say I guess we getting ready to find out. 😉

@VolNation85, I have begged for cross bracketing since 2015 and I think it would bring some extra excitement into the final four.

I am not sure if you being sarcastic or not, but surely do not agree with your prognostication about the winner of A and B semi-final being the eventual champion.

I truly believe Salem will be a very formidable opponent and they have proved themselves over and over. In fact, the Spartans have the athletes and weapons to compete with anyone in Region A and B. With the exception of the top two teams in Region C, I have seen all of the major contenders. Salems defense and offense are surely top 5 if not better in Class 4. I am not sure if anyone else can claim that.
I am not being sarcastic at all and I know Salem will be a formidable opponent. I have said since the end of last season that the Class 4 championship in 2023 would be Salem vs Phoebus. I just believe Phoebus will hold any of the remaining Class 4 teams to 2 TDs or less and they will find a way to create points outside of their offense. By no means am I saying Phoebus or the Region B champion would dominate Salem. I am just saying they would have at least one more point than Salem at the end of the game.

I just know that Salem has struggled in recent years against teams that are equal or better up front, even with the athletes that they have had for the past 2-3 years. Case in point, Salem's last two losses have come against teams where Salem had more team speed and athletes but not the better OL/DL (Glass 2022 and LCA 2023).

You may be right, and I would say I'm keeping receipts, but that didn't work out well for Deion, so I'll just say I guess we getting ready to find out. 😉
LOL you are right, it didn't work out for Deion.

You're going to do that based on one year? Also, dont know if Salem will make finals, but if they do the Spartans have heard this all before.

You're going to do that based on one year? Also, dont know if Salem will make finals, but if they do the Spartans have heard this all before.
I personally wouldn't make the change based on one year but VHSL seems to have done that with Class 6 this year. They just made the Class 6 tournament to cross -bracket 3-4 weeks ago so that Freedom and Highland Springs wouldn't have to play each other until the state championship. Personally I would like to see a true state tournament like the state of Georgia does where there are no region playoffs. The region champion is determined during the regular season.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
@VolNation85, thanks for providing a justification for your take. Very well thought out. I honestly thought you were taking a page out of @southbottomU playbook and reminding us that Salem has been overlooked in the past. Not sure who would do that at this point, but some still do.

I wanted to evaluate the teams with something a little more than the eye test so I did a little research using Maxpreps, VHSL, and other ranking/computer models. Some support your opinion some don't. You have to play the games on the field, so all this means doodly squat. Fun for me though.

Top 5 ranked teams in Class 4:
VAPreps
1. Phoebus
2. Salem
3. King George
4. Varina
5. Warhill

Max Preps
1. Phoebus
2. Varina
3. King George
4. Salem
5. Dinwiddie

VHSL Power Points Top
1. Phoebus
2. King George
3. Warhill
4. Tuscarora
4. Varina

Top 5 SOS (Teams left)
1. Dinwiddie
2. Varina
3. Glass
4. Churchland
5. Salem

Worst 5 SOS (Teams left)
1. Warhill
2. Loudoun County
3. Tuscarora
4. Huguenot
5. John Champe

Edit: I typed this before @southbottomU replied. He's right too. 😂

@VolNation85, thanks for providing a justification for your take. Very well thought out. I honestly thought you were taking a page out of @southbottomU playbook and reminding us that Salem has been overlooked in the past. Not sure who would do that at this point, but some still do.

I wanted to evaluate the teams with something a little more than the eye test so I did a little research using Maxpreps, VHSL, and other ranking/computer models. Some support your opinion some don't. You have to play the games on the field, so all this means doodly squat. Fun for me though.

VAPreps
1. Phoebus
2. Salem
3. King George
4. Varina
5. Warhill

Max Preps
1. Phoebus
2. Varina
3. King George
4. Salem
5. Dinwiddie

VHSL Power Points Top
1. Phoebus
2. King George
3. Warhill
4. Tuscarora
4. Varina

Top 5 SOS (Teams left)
1. Dinwiddie
2. Varina
3. Glass
4. Churchland
5. Salem

Worst 5 SOS (Teams left)
1. Warhill
2. Loudoun County
3. Tuscarora
4. Huguenot
5. John Champe

This is interesting and thanks for sharing! You are right though, the game is played on the field. It's the best time of year for a reason! I just wish my team was still playing! 😂

If we go to cross brackets the top two teams might be in C and A. Then what?
Unfortunately we can't fix the playoffs to get the best 2 teams in the Finals no matter how we do the bracket how they are currently set. Sometimes the two best teams could be in the same region. Nothing saying Varina and Dinwiddie are not the best 2 teams.
I'm sure Phoebus has something to say about that and will play the Region B champ.
The best way to do it is rank the teams 1-32 and play. This would put the top 4 teams in position to meet in semi finals. Use max preps or calpreps to rank the teams.

Reactions: VolNation85
MaxPreps is actually CalPreps for the purposes of their non-top 100 poll, which I believe is CalPreps plus some human bias from MaxPreps guys. Their top 5 (for fun, Salem was actually their #2 last week at the end of the regular season) is the same consensus top 5 teams we've all had basically from week 1 so nothing would be solved by that either. As you said, it's a fruitless endeavor.

Most years there is a perfectly fine C4 title game. Stuff like last year is far and away the exception. Some of you need to quit pretending like the East just strolls in and snoozes to a title once they win the A/B semis. Pretty sure Salem has hung more titles than any of your schools since the "new way" of doing things and there's a Woodgrove title in there as well. That's all there is to it. When it all boils down, the state is balanced fine at the very top. Who cares what you did in the first 14 games if you can't do it when it matters in #15.

Some people sound like bitter SEC fans when Clemson wins a title, mad they didn't play an SEC schedule but got no answers when they wring the neck of the SEC's best school that year.

Last edited:
I am either going to look like I knew what I was talking about or an idiot if anyone from Region C or D wins. LOL
Watching over all these years has made me hesitant to anoint teams or regions because as the old saying goes that is why they play the games. I was skeptical when they realigned classes by strict ADM that the more plodding style of the West could compete with the East. I even made the statement they would eventually compete but, it might take 5 or so years to adjust. Salem made me eat those words beating Lake Taylor 3 years in. I think the East still has more teams and overall speed today but, people should never count out the Spartans and a few others. Finally, with Lewis and Cole as the headliners and several other lesser known although no less athletic teammates the Spartans should be able to lineup with anyone from the East. Most times much is made of the athletes but, when it comes to winning championships more often than not it is about what gets done in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball, in my opinion. A fun time of year in these next 4 weeks for HS football fans.

Watching over all these years has made me hesitant to anoint teams or regions because as the old saying goes that is why they play the games. I was skeptical when they realigned classes by strict ADM that the more plodding style of the West could compete with the East. I even made the statement they would eventually compete but, it might take 5 or so years to adjust. Salem made me eat those words beating Lake Taylor 3 years in. I think the East still has more teams and overall speed today but, people should never count out the Spartans and a few others. Finally, with Lewis and Cole as the headliners and several other lesser known although no less athletic teammates the Spartans should be able to lineup with anyone from the East. Most times much is made of the athletes but, when it comes to winning championships more often than not it is about what gets done in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball, in my opinion. A fun time of year in these next 4 weeks for HS football fans.
You are absolutely right about the trenches! That's why I have thought all along that Phoebus would win the Class 4 championship this year. They have the most dominant DL and defense that I have seen in person in a long time. As the saying goes, defense wins championships. But, you definitely can't count out the Spartans.

MaxPreps is actually CalPreps for the purposes of their non-top 100 poll, which I believe is CalPreps plus some human bias from MaxPreps guys. Their top 5 (for fun, Salem was actually their #2 last week at the end of the regular season) is the same consensus top 5 teams we've all had basically from week 1 so nothing would be solved by that either. As you said, it's a fruitless endeavor.

Most years there is a perfectly fine C4 title game. Stuff like last year is far and away the exception. Some of you need to quit pretending like the East just strolls in and snoozes to a title once they win the A/B semis. Pretty sure Salem has hung more titles than any of your schools since the "new way" of doing things and there's a Woodgrove title in there as well. That's all there is to it. When it all boils down, the state is balanced fine at the very top. Who cares what you did in the first 14 games if you can't do it when it matters in #15.

Some people sound like bitter SEC fans when Clemson wins a title, mad they didn't play an SEC schedule but got no answers when they wring the neck of the SEC's best school that year.
In past years I would always take Salem to win it if they made it to the championship because they are a premier program and I was biased to Region 4D in previous years because I coached at a 4D school until this season.

@1MoreHokie, who exactly are you referring to? Evidence please. Not one person has disrespected Salem. Posters have every right to come on VAPreps and pump their chest about their team without worrying if we will offend the boys in Maroon. You would think a talented and proud program would set back and enjoy the boys from east beating each other's brains out. Dang your Spartans have four titles since realignment and yet you still appear to have an inferiority complex.

Two posters from the east have already spoke in favor of the Spartans. Give it a rest. Please quit using the trash talk from 2015 to make your point. If Salem gets through the semis they will surely have a chance to prove their brawn against one of the top teams from A or B.

You are absolutely right about the trenches! That's why I have thought all along that Phoebus would win the Class 4 championship this year. They have the most dominant DL and defense that I have seen in person in a long time. As the saying goes, defense wins championships. But, you definitely can't count out the Spartans.
I agree with you about the DL that Phoebus has. Of the teams left in A and B, who do you think matches up the best against them? I have felt and still feel Dinwiddie fits the bill. When Dalton is unscripted, he can turn what would be sure sacks for most qb’s into big gains. He’s also fast enough to get by some of the quicker DE’s. In addition, Dinwiddie has enough balance offensively to keep defenses from loading the box. King George has a potent offense, but when plays break down due to that stellar defensive front from Phoebus, I don’t see them finding as much success as Dinwiddie would.

Starting early with your Michael Jordan impersonation to conjure up a perceived slight for motivation I see. Salem has received proper deference on these boards this year, your protests otherwise notwithstanding.

@1MoreHokie, who exactly are you referring to? Evidence please. Not one person has disrespected Salem. Posters have every right to come on VAPreps and pump their chest about their team without worrying if we will offend the boys in Maroon. You would think a talented and proud program would set back and enjoy the boys from east beating each other's brains out. Dang your Spartans have four titles since realignment and yet you still appear to have an inferiority complex.

Two posters from the east have already spoke in favor of the Spartans. Give it a rest. Please quit using the trash talk from 2015 to make your point. If Salem gets through the semis they will surely have a chance to prove their brawn against one of the top teams from A or B.

Starting early with your Michael Jordan impersonation to conjure up a perceived slight for motivation I see. Salem has received proper deference on these boards this year, your protests otherwise notwithstanding.

Oh no, I need nothing to know Salem's superiority. They're better. Better than Dinwiddie, better than Varina, better than King George, better than Phoebus. Nobody in C4 matches up with Salem's history. They're the diamond standard for a program.

I'm discussing the overall perception of the West (Clemson wasn't necessarily Salem there, pay attention), especially via the eyes of posters from the East. No, Salem has long since forced you into submission but be realistic and speak about the rest of the West (C/D) sans Salem. Poof, Salem has never existed. Now discuss how you view the West and especially as it relates to how you'd view the title games. 95% of the teams you're going to talk about don't have fans here so don't be afraid of hurting someone's feelings.

Last edited:
Oh no, I need nothing to know Salem's superiority. They're better. Better than Dinwiddie, better than Varina, better than King George, better than Phoebus. Nobody in C4 matches up with Salem's history. They're the diamond standard for a program.

I'm discussing the overall perception of the West (Clemson wasn't necessarily Salem there, pay attention), especially via the eyes of posters from the East. No, Salem has long since forced you into submission but be realistic and speak about the rest of the West (C/D) sans Salem. Poof, Salem has never existed. Now discuss how you view the West and especially as it relates to how you'd view the title games. 95% of the teams you're going to talk about don't have fans here so don't be afraid of hurting someone's feelings.
Like I said, starting your Michael Jordan impersonation early. However, you're right, no one views the West anywhere near as deep as the East. The West so far has been akin to the Big Ten where Salem is Ohio State and after that not really much in terms of scaring anybody come championship time.

@1MoreHokie, I don't think Salem forced anybody into submission. For real football fans it's called respect. There are so many classy Salem fans like @RKE Fan and @mike salem and they each know how much the guys from the 804 respect the Spartan Program.

If you are speaking of the history of Division AA/4 10 state titles then Salem is superior; however, the Spartans have been playing in the division since the late 1980's.

You opted to throw darts at Dinwiddie (2 titles in 10 years) and Varina (1 title in 2 years), but the reality is the two teams played in AAA Division 5 and 6 for many years and qualified for state championships. In fact, both teams won the title in their first year competing in Class 4. Salem is a consistent winner/contender. Same with Varina, King George, Phoebus, EV, and even Dinwiddie.

I could care less about hurting people's feelings, but I choose not discount this years teams from Region C because I have no clue about them. I do know this. Dinwiddie and Varina have played region c's representatives in the finals on three occasions and won all three. I believe LT is 1-1 against Region C.

You ask how I generally viewed the teams in Region C in the past well here you go. I will say they are average teams who tend to be a bit slower and not as talented at the skill positions. They are well coached and fairly disciplined. For the most part their teams would rarely if ever win Region B or A. Yes, Woodgrove won one title in 2018, but that's their only one in ten years.

Let's be real Salem rarely breaks a sweat in the regular season, region or semi finals. One because they are very good and two their district, region and semi-final opponents are generally weaker than the Spartans opponents in the finals. Since realignment the Spartans MOV in the finals is 9. I believe their regular season, region, and semi final MOV is around 22. That's a huge difference. Nuff said. Spartans vs. someone in the final.

Reactions: cutnjump
I don’t argue against your idea, because I like a rotating cross-bracket format. But please remember, the individual Regions, not the VHSL, decide the format. The membership owns the VHSL, not the other way around.

I fully support rotating Semifinal matchups in all Classes, even knowing that this could lower Salem’s odds of making the finals in some years. It could be rotated every year or every cycle. (2y) However it works it should be uniform throughout Classes, and not decided midyear IMO. For reference, these were the Semifinal representatives each year. Could have been some interesting matchups with Semi rotation.

Heritage NN
Dinwiddie
Sherando
Salem

Lake Taylor
Monacan
Liberty Bealeton
Salem

Lake Taylor
Courtland
Jefferson Forest
Salem

Lafayette
Dinwiddie
Dominion
Salem

Lafayette
Louisa
Sherando
Salem

Lake Taylor
Eastern View
Woodgrove
Blacksburg

Lake Taylor
Patrick Henry Ash
Tuscarora
Salem

Lake Taylor
King George
Tuscarora
Salem

King's Fork
Varina
Broad Run
Salem

Warwick
Dinwiddie
Kettle Run
EC Glass

Last edited:

VAPreps
1. Phoebus
2. Salem
3. King George
4. Varina
5. Warhill

Max Preps
1. Phoebus
2. Varina
3. King George
4. Salem
5. Dinwiddie

VHSL Power Points Top
1. Phoebus
2. King George
3. Warhill
4. Tuscarora
4. Varina

Top 5 SOS (Teams left)
1. Dinwiddie
2. Varina
3. Glass
4. Churchland
5. Salem

Worst 5 SOS (Teams left)
1. Warhill
2. Loudoun County
3. Tuscarora
4. Huguenot
5. John Champe

Least valuable methods
SOS
Virginia Power Points.

I would takevyour eye test over either of those.

Don't think Salem has an inferiority complex per say. I think this feeling that Salem folks have is part of a much larger feeling that incompasses much much more. There seems to be a dividing line in Virginia that starts just outside Loudoun County and goes thru Virginia at a SW angle just west of Richmond all the way to North Carolina. Everything west of that line (political views included) is valued to a lesser degree. This feeling of disrespect intensifies the further west you go. Hell, folks in far west Virginia feel much closer culturally and politically to Tennessee and West Virginia than Virginia. So when someone comes on here and makes a statement pertaining to the western part of the state (admittedly it doesnt happen as much as it used to) it doesn't take much to set off the alarm that another slight is being delivered.

I know they wouldn't and rightfully so but I don't see Salem beating Phoebus, KG, Varina, or Dinwiddie. My honest opinion is that no one in Class 4 is beating Phoebus this year but the next three best teams in Class 4 are the three mentioned above.
Facts Vols!

I fully support rotating Semifinal matchups in all Classes, even knowing that this could lower Salem’s odds of making the finals in some years. It could be rotated every year or every cycle. (2y) However it works it should be uniform throughout Classes, and not decided midyear IMO. For reference, these were the Semifinal representatives each year. Could have been some interesting matchups with Semi rotation.

Heritage NN
Dinwiddie
Sherando
Salem

Lake Taylor
Monacan
Liberty Bealeton
Salem

Lake Taylor
Courtland
Jefferson Forest
Salem

Lafayette
Dinwiddie
Dominion
Salem

Lafayette
Louisa
Sherando
Salem

Lake Taylor
Eastern View
Woodgrove
Blacksburg

Lake Taylor
Patrick Henry Ash
Tuscarora
Salem

Lake Taylor
King George
Tuscarora
Salem

King's Fork
Varina
Broad Run
Salem

Warwick
Dinwiddie
Kettle Run
EC Glass
@mike salem, this says everything you need to know about the Salem program. The proof is in the pudding and only a fool would attempt to discount the Spartans run. I understand @southbottomU latest point especially as it relates to politics, but does it really relate to Salem Football. I think not.

The data clearly indicates total dominance by Salem in D with 5 final appearances and four wins (4-1), parity in C with 5 final appearances by 5 different teams, and one win (1-4), B with 5 final appearances by 3 different teams and 3 wins (3-2) and A with one dominant team (Lake Taylor) with 5 appearances and 2 titles (2-3).

Final analysis: Since realignment in 2013, each region has made the final five times. Both Region A and D have been dominated by two teams. Region B and especially region C tend to have more parity. With that being said Regions C/D (West) are 5-5 and Regions A/B (East) are 5-5 in the final. From the look of things the current playoff system in Class 4 isn't too bad. Generally, speaking the best team has won it each year. Good luck to all the teams still playing.

I just know that Salem has struggled in recent years against teams that are equal or better up front, even with the athletes that they have had for the past 2-3 years. Case in point, Salem's last two losses have come against teams where Salem had more team speed and athletes but not the better OL/DL (Glass 2022 and LCA 2023).
I get what are you saying but I think there is a big difference between this year's Salem team and last year's. I also think they are much better team than they were week 1.

The difference in QB play alone is night and day... from Eli Taylor's first ever game at Salem to how he is playing now is not even in the same world. Defensively, changing Chris Cole's position has been huge. LCA knew he would always be lined up outside the TE and simply could just run away from him. After that game they moved him to Will LB so teams could no longer do that. They also moved the Will from week 1 back to DE, where he is much better. Also, LCA is REALLY, REALLY good.

I get what are you saying but I think there is a big difference between this year's Salem team and last year's. I also think they are much better team than they were week 1.

The difference in QB play alone is night and day... from Eli Taylor's first ever game at Salem to how he is playing now is not even in the same world. Defensively, changing Chris Cole's position has been huge. LCA knew he would always be lined up outside the TE and simply could just run away from him. After that game they moved him to Will LB so teams could no longer do that. They also moved the Will from week 1 back to DE, where he is much better. Also, LCA is REALLY, REALLY good.
No doubt! I wasn't discrediting Salem for losing to Glass or LCA because both were really good teams. I was just highlighting that Salem lost those two games because they had the inferior OL/DL in those two games even though they had better team speed/athletes top to bottom than those two teams. It's no shade towards any team in Class 4 but it's my professional opinion that Phoebus is just that much better on defense. I don't think people understand how dominant their defense has been for the last 3 years. I have coached HS football in Virginia for 16 years and I don't remember a defense being as dominant as Phoebus has been for the past 3 years. They have given up 4.4 PPG over the previous 41 games!

Of course the games still have to be played and I will be the first to admit I was wrong if Phoebus doesn't win it all this year.

Last edited:
Man this is tough to say but I want to say Varina because I think Varina has the second best defense in Class 4 after Phoebus but Varina's offense is inconsistent. Dinwiddie has the best run game left of the teams in Region A but I am not convinced they will be able to pop the big runs they are accustomed to against Phoebus ( I could be wrong). KG has the ability to stretch the field against Phoebus but I am not sure the QB will consistently have a clean pocket to throw from.

@Touchdown-tony I'm no Nostradamus. Just a guy sharing his opinion on a public message board.
All good points and similar to what I was thinking as I thought about each team. I give the edge to Dinwiddie because they have the best running game with Dalton and Tucker of the teams left. It’s also just so tough to defend Dalton when he gets creative. Even so, I still wouldn’t expect it to be a high scoring affair regardless of who came away with the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT