ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Should have...

All good points and similar to what I was thinking as I thought about each team. I give the edge to Dinwiddie because they have the best running game with Dalton and Tucker of the teams left. It’s also just so tough to defend Dalton when he gets creative. Even so, I still wouldn’t expect it to be a high scoring affair regardless of who came away with the win.
Couldn't agree more!

Earlier this year, I would have said Salem would be lucky to make it to the region final, play calling was as bad as it was in last years region final against Glass!! Since then, the offense has diversified and last game, even without Jones, not one trap play was called in the 1st quarter, and maybe 4in the 2nd, by that time the game was over. Regardless, The offensive play calling is leaps and bounds better, Lewis is playing better and better each week!! The qb came back from injury throwing the ball better than he did before. Persinger is a formable threat in the wildcat formation as well as Jones!! I’m fully expecting Salem to play in the final, against who? It’s anybody’s game, you can’t overlook a defense that hasn’t allowed a TD this year. But offensively, teams are better as you progress.
After LCA wins the title by a bunch of TD’s y’all will see how good they really are. Gideon just plays defense so fast!! His reads are out of this world!!
This coming from a Salem fan!!

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
Earlier this year, I would have said Salem would be lucky to make it to the region final, play calling was as bad as it was in last years region final against Glass!! Since then, the offense has diversified and last game, even with Jones, not one trap play was called in the 1st quarter, and maybe 4in the 2nd, by that time the game was over. Regardless, The offensive play calling is leaps and bounds better, Lewis is playing better and better each week!! The qb came back from injury throwing the ball better than he did before. Persinger is a formable threat in the wildcat formation as well as Jones!! I’m fully expecting Salem to play in the final, against who? It’s anybody’s game, you can’t overlook a defense that hasn’t allowed a TD this year. But offensively, teams are better as you progress.
After LCA wins the title by a bunch of TD’s y’all will see how good they really are. Gideon just plays defense so fast!! His reads are out of this world!!
This coming from a Salem fan!!
I don't think anyone is doubting or questioning how good LCA is nor is anyone discrediting Salem for losing to LCA by 7 pts 12 weeks ago. Salem could have easily won that game.

I don't think anyone is doubting or questioning how good LCA is nor is anyone discrediting Salem for losing to LCA by 7 pts 12 weeks ago. Salem could have easily won that game.
I know, point is, Salem plays LCA now, with the diverse offense we have now, Salem wins that game!! Salem office Is less reliant on the O line to bully the D line, exactly what my gripe was at the beginning of the year, load the box and we will pass and screen, don’t load the box and Lewis runs for 10-15 yds a carry!! That being said, There’s a lot of top teams this year that could be anyone’s title to lose!!

I think u better look at salem.... lake taylor took them light
@Touchdown-tony, that's just bull jive and exactly what I have been talking about. How did Lake Taylor take Salem lightly when the Titans drilled the Spartans in 2014, lost in 2015 17-14 in 2 ots and 28-20 in the COVID year. Sure after the 2014 drubbing and the talent LT had coming back most thought they would repeat. So did Vegas. Salem played a great game and won on a FG. Subsequently the Spartans then beat a very good Dinwiddie team in a game most thought was a toss up and then beat a Louisa team as expected. Because of one poster and a fan poll opting for LT the Salem victimization was born. I am sorry but the myth is busted!

@Touchdown-tony, that's just bull jive and exactly what I have been talking about. How did Lake Taylor take Salem lightly when the Titans drilled the Spartans in 2014, lost in 2015 17-14 in 2 ots and 28-20 in the COVID year. Sure after the 2014 drubbing and the talent LT had coming back most thought they would repeat. So did Vegas. Salem played a great game and won on a FG. Subsequently the Spartans then beat a very good Dinwiddie team in a game most thought was a toss up and then beat a Louisa team as expected. Because of one poster and a fan poll opting for LT the Salem victimization was born. I am sorry but the myth is busted!
That 1 poster posted a lot and had support from other tidewater fans. That's what Salem fans remember. That type of posting did not occur in the Dinwiddie, Louisa games.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Well I have not seen Salem in person this year but they are my undeniable favorite to come out of the west. We have a high probability of seeing Salem vs the field. Yes the east champion will have been through a gauntlet but we gotta line em up for one more game to wear the crown. Just is what it is. If Salem wins we will crown them and if the east wins it’s a cherry on top to beat the best for the state title.

Well said @mbonape1. Can't argue with any of that. I have seen Salem and they are a very formidable opponent and as good as anyone in the "east".

@southbottomU, that was a legit and factual post. Maybe instead of saying the "east" Salem fans should simply say the "757", because I know for a fact, most of the "804" or Richmond Metro posters give Salem their just due. Example see above. @mbonape1 is a well respected Monacan and 804 football poster.

I fully support rotating Semifinal matchups in all Classes, even knowing that this could lower Salem’s odds of making the finals in some years. It could be rotated every year or every cycle. (2y) However it works it should be uniform throughout Classes, and not decided midyear IMO. For reference, these were the Semifinal representatives each year. Could have been some interesting matchups with Semi rotation.

Heritage NN
Dinwiddie
Sherando
Salem

Lake Taylor
Monacan
Liberty Bealeton
Salem

Lake Taylor
Courtland
Jefferson Forest
Salem

Lafayette
Dinwiddie
Dominion
Salem

Lafayette
Louisa
Sherando
Salem

Lake Taylor
Eastern View
Woodgrove
Blacksburg

Lake Taylor
Patrick Henry Ash
Tuscarora
Salem

Lake Taylor
King George
Tuscarora
Salem

King's Fork
Varina
Broad Run
Salem

Warwick
Dinwiddie
Kettle Run
EC Glass
There is no way to predict what teams will be the clear cut top two teams each yr. So what happens when the best 2 teams are in the same region?
Take this yr as an example. The best 2 teams by most posters just played today. Phoebus beat them. Phoebus very well will win next week. If we cross bracket. Phoebus plays Salem today and possibly KG next week. They still win them. The only thing that changes is who's runner up. We still get to see the matchups

But it’s very evident why the league is interested in engineering the top 2 teams into the Class 6 title game. In theory, could be the two biggest fan bases and thus, more ticket revenue. I’m just surprised they didn’t do it for Class 5 too!

But it’s very evident why the league is interested in engineering the top 2 teams into the Class 6 title game. In theory, could be the two biggest fan bases and thus, more ticket revenue. I’m just surprised they didn’t do it for Class 5 too!
I don’t have a problem with the way things are in terms of bracketing, however that 11:30 and 5 pm start time is horrible and whoever came up with it shouldn’t be in charge. Was a huge reason I went to another state’s championship games.

I don’t have a problem with the way things are in terms of bracketing, however that 11:30 and 5 pm start time is horrible and whoever came up with it shouldn’t be in charge. Was a huge reason I went to another state’s championship games.
Yeah, way too much time between games.
Should shave at least one hour off. Noon and 4:30 Would had been better. First game over around 2 pm. Leaves 2.5 hours between games. Plenty of time to clear things out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT