ADVERTISEMENT

VT-Boise

gymrat10

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 21, 2004
Anybody have a question/problem with some of the calls last night? I thought on Boise' last punt return the block in the back flag that was picked up should have stood. The explanation the viewer is given that the player fell on his back so it must have been hit from front. Is this the logic now used? If you watch the angle the blocker had approaching the defender, who is taking a direct path to the ball carrier, it would be almost impossible for him to get in front of that guy. Also, I believe a player running close to full speed could get hit in the back, take another step, and with that momentum and the collision, could get turned and land on his back. Guess he should have flopped better. How do the refs change this? The other play I question was the late hit on the last drive where the VT backer hit the runner while the runner was tight-roping the sideline only a few yards after barely stepping out of bounds. Isn't there some common sense consideration here for a player sake? Shouldn't it be pretty flagrant (like at least clearly off the playing field) to call it at that point in the game? I'd like to hear some refs opinions as I don't believe we can get much from Musberger.

First, gymrat's questions are about a couple of calls and that's fine. But posts that do nothing but bash the offiicals, like the one above, will be deleted.

Now, picking up the flag on the BIB was the correct call IMO. The block was clearly in the defender's side/arm/shoulder. It wasn't close to being in the back. My guess is the second official on that sideline didn't make the call, explained what he saw and the flag was picked up.

As for the late hit, the runner was knocked OOB, the sideline official was getting the spot and blowing his whistle when the defender hit the runner in the legs, after he had taken 2 or 3 more steps. Again, no problem with that call. It doesn't have to be a nasty hit to be flagged. That's a play that could have resulted in a knee injury for the runner.

Thanks for the explanations. Still, what's a player to do when a runner is tight-roping the sideline (in this case the player barely had one foot on the line and then his next steps were IN bounds)? Your asking him to hear a whistle or see the ref marking the spot?

Yes, he has a responsibility to know where he is on the field.

It's one rule that's consistent in all levels of football; HS, college and pro, although obviously the pros get away with a lot more. but the rule is the same.

well, as a alum of VT and someone who has followed them for almost 30 years, including the years we lost to VMI and those we went 3-8, I will say I might have been biased, but realistically, that block in the back wasn't a block in the back, it was a heckuva play. When the flag came out I thought the Hokies got lucky. When it was wiped, I wasn't surprised. In my pregames I have 4 criteria for a block being a BIB and that wasn't.

Personally, I was surprised they called that hit out of bounds. I understand it and I can't really argue it, but I would want a play like that to be a no-doubter in that situation.

I don't think Hokie fans have any room to gripe about the officiating. BSU had well over 100 yards in penalties. overall I think the crew did OK. They officiated better than either team played, that's for sure.

For a flag for block in the back the official needs to see:

1. space first -- meaning he has to see the hit. If you look and the contact is already engaged you can't tell if the initial contact was in the back.

2. Contact clearly between the shoulders. There's a myth about if the helmet is in front it's clean and if it's behind it's a BIB. Not true.
Where does the guy who was blocked go? If he goes off to the side and lands on one arm, it's probably a good block. If he goes straight forward it's probably a BIB.

3. It has to be a block, meaning it has to prevent the guy fromm going where he wanted to go. A push in the back might not be a block in the back. It CAN be, but if a tackler is pushed into the ball carrier, that's nothing. If he's pushed past the ball carrier, then it's a BIB. A block impedes a defender, not help him.

4.It has to affect the play. A BIB is like a hold. If it's on the left side and the ball is going right, or if it's 10 yards behind the ball, ignore it.

Originally posted by White hat:
If it's on the left side and the ball is going right, or if it's 10 yards behind the ball, ignore it.

We don't ignore such blocks. If my opinion, such a block is a cheap shot and can be a safety issue. I've seen a kids blocked from behind and because they didn't see the block coming, injured as they hit the ground.

I think you know what I mean. There's a difference between a block in the back and a cheap shot. If there's a safety issue, then it's a personal foul and will be called.

I know what you mean but I respectfully disagree with it. I'm not comparing a block in the back to a cheap shot taken on a player who is obviously out of the play. But it's still a safety issue.

Blocking a player from behind where he can't see you coming places the opponent in a vulnerable postion. Whether it's on the opposite side of the field, 10 yards behind the play or 20 yards in front of it, we call it.

A BiB is a safety issue whether it's at the point of attack or away from the play. Safety issues should ALWAYS get flagged. That's the only way to nip them in the bud. Once you start ignoring them simply because they weren't a contribution to the play, you open yourself to scrutiny should "Johnny" break his wrist when he fell right in front of you after being the recipient of a BiB. Policing safety first, policing unfair advantage second.

Then the Fed needs to make it a 15 yd penalty like all other safety fouls, not just 10 like the fouls that are improper blocks.

I understand not calling a holding foul away from the play or an ineligible downfield on an incomplete screen pass that crosses the NZ. But I've seen kids get hurt while being blocked in the back.

I don't see the NF changing the rule and making it a PF away from the play and then forcing us to decide what is/isn't away from the play.

Actually, before we get the Fed to change the yardage, how about first we get all the officials to call it every time it happens and not just when it's at the point of attack, huh?
This post was edited on 9/17 1:20 PM by Fadamor

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT