ADVERTISEMENT

VT/Miami controversy.

Well... hmmmmm....

Let me start by qualifying a couple things. I am a VT grad. I have has season tickets to VT for many years. I am a long-time member of the Hokie Club.

I believe there was no clear and indisputable evidence to support an overturn.

That said, I don't think the original call of TD had much to stand on. To be a catch, Felton had to "survive the ground" and the indicators were there that he did not. The main indicator was that the Miami player ended up with the ball and there was no obvious tussle for it. If Fleton survived the ground, he would have been in a wrestling match for the ball that would have lasted well longer than it did.

Still, it wasn't so clear that he didn't survive the ground that I thought it was a clear overturn.

I was stunned that the ruling on the field was a TD and then got my hopes up.

I really wish I could have heard the communications between Mags (the white hat) and ACC Command Center. I've talked to Mags a couple times and I know he's an excellent referee who's had VT in some huge games and no one has ever had a problem with him. He had the VT-Miami game in 2011 when Logan Thomas scored the winner with 53 seconds to go. So IF there was some sort of nefarious plot happening, I guarantee it didn't come from Mags. I swear the look on his face when he announced the decision was overturned said "I can't believe I have to tell you all this, but...."

Talking with my bother and son (one a VT alum and the other a VT student) we had to admit that if the same play happened in reverse, and Miami was scoring a possible game-winning TD on a catch like that, I would have lost my mind.

I promise you, no referee, Mags or otherwise, wants to be in a situation where a decision has to be made, after the fact, that clearly determines the outcome of the game.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Well... hmmmmm....

Let me start by qualifying a couple things. I am a VT grad. I have has season tickets to VT for many years. I am a long-time member of the Hokie Club.

I believe there was no clear and indisputable evidence to support an overturn.

That said, I don't think the original call of TD had much to stand on. To be a catch, Felton had to "survive the ground" and the indicators were there that he did not. The main indicator was that the Miami player ended up with the ball and there was no obvious tussle for it. If Fleton survived the ground, he would have been in a wrestling match for the ball that would have lasted well longer than it did.

Still, it wasn't so clear that he didn't survive the ground that I thought it was a clear overturn.

I was stunned that the ruling on the field was a TD and then got my hopes up.

I really wish I could have heard the communications between Mags (the white hat) and ACC Command Center. I've talked to Mags a couple times and I know he's an excellent referee who's had VT in some huge games and no one has ever had a problem with him. He had the VT-Miami game in 2011 when Logan Thomas scored the winner with 53 seconds to go. So IF there was some sort of nefarious plot happening, I guarantee it didn't come from Mags. I swear the look on his face when he announced the decision was overturned said "I can't believe I have to tell you all this, but...."

Talking with my bother and son (one a VT alum and the other a VT student) we had to admit that if the same play happened in reverse, and Miami was scoring a possible game-winning TD on a catch like that, I would have lost my mind.
This by far is the most reasonable explanation I have seen. Which is exactly why I asked for your opinion. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT