ADVERTISEMENT

Weather is not looking the best for Friday...

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Can't speak for the rest of the state but here in the Valley, they are already pointing at Friday for our next rain event. They say it will only be "showers" and less than half an inch expected, but I would still hate to see games this important compromised by rain. By contrast, Thursday is supposed to be sunny with a high of 78 and Saturday is supposed to be nice. Not trying to start anything or upset any apple carts but it will definitely be something to keep an eye on.......

Reactions: pizzzzza
Can't speak for the rest of the state but here in the Valley, they are already pointing at Friday for our next rain event. They say it will only be "showers" and less than half an inch expected, but I would still hate to see games this important compromised by rain. By contrast, Thursday is supposed to be sunny with a high of 78 and Saturday is supposed to be nice. Not trying to start anything or upset any apple carts but it will definitely be something to keep an eye on.......
Good thing
Good thing all 2a games are Saturday the 11th this year

Most years the first 3 rounds are fri, then the last 2 are on Saturday
Maybe some body will use a little common sense and move game to saturday if rain is in forecast although common sense seems to be a lost art in management these days....

Reactions: toughy299
Maybe some body will use a little common sense and move game to saturday if rain is in forecast although common sense seems to be a lost art in management these days....
Really? Much of the state is in a drought. We need the rain. A little rain will never hurt anyone. Football can and should be played in the rain.

There’s nothing wrong with playing in a little rain. Good grief it’s high school football for Pete’s sake! 2 of the 4 games in 2D are Friday, one Thursday, and the other Saturday but I think that’s due to the travel distance not weather.
Unless it tears your field up and you plan on playing there the next friday, then I can see wanting to postpone it one day to preserve the field conditions.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Unless it tears your field up and you plan on playing there the next friday, then I can see wanting to postpone it one day to preserve the field conditions.
If that's a possibility, then it seems like someone needs to work on their field. And we aren't talking about a downpour or flooding rain for this weekend. Just a small amount.

There’s nothing wrong with playing in a little rain. Good grief it’s high school football for Pete’s sake! 2 of the 4 games in 2D are Friday, one Thursday, and the other Saturday but I think that’s due to the travel distance not weather.
Wat games are Thursday and Saturday? Everything I'm seeing says theyre all on Friday

Wat games are Thursday and Saturday? Everything I'm seeing says theyre all on Friday
Not saying there is anything wrong with playing football in the rain.Sure we need the rain because of drought conditions.However it will greatly affect the attendance at each game.The average fan is not gonna sit in a cold rain and watch a high school football game with the chance of getting sick.Im sure if you polled the players they also would rather play in dry conditions.Whats the matter with moving the game one day to be able to play in dry conditions?

Reactions: TS69 and ONEFAN1
The attendance and overall comfort level for both fans and players was my original point. Football is a huge moneymaker so the more fans that come out, the better. Yes the drought and the awful forest fire are major concerns, but it seems to me that if the games could be moved one day either way, then they could be played in optimum conditions and then it could rain all day Friday. Having said that, the forecast last night was that the rain would be moving out by Friday night. So who knows, it could all change between now and then and rain Friday night might not even be an issue? I think the temperatures are going to be tolerable either way. I don't think it will be a 20 or 30 degree freezing rain if it does happen at game time.

Reactions: 7MileFord
The attendance and overall comfort level for both fans and players was my original point. Football is a huge moneymaker so the more fans that come out, the better. Yes the drought and the awful forest fire are major concerns, but it seems to me that if the games could be moved one day either way, then they could be played in optimum conditions and then it could rain all day Friday. Having said that, the forecast last night was that the rain would be moving out by Friday night. So who knows, it could all change between now and then and rain Friday night might not even be an issue? I think the temperatures are going to be tolerable either way. I don't think it will be a 20 or 30 degree freezing rain if it does happen at game time.
I agree 100%

What are we doing talking about droughts, forest fires, and fan comfort because of a little rain Friday? What on earth has happened to our society? It may rain Friday, OK, so what, go to game, bring poncho, be just a touch uncomfortable and root for your team. If the rain is too much stress or anxiety, you can take your "Xanax" for God's sake. Good grief man. And we wonder why our kids can't compete with the Chinese and Russians in math and science. This is an example of partially why.

What are we doing talking about droughts, forest fires, and fan comfort because of a little rain Friday? What on earth has happened to our society? It may rain Friday, OK, so what, go to game, bring poncho, be just a touch uncomfortable and root for your team. If the rain is too much stress or anxiety, you can take your "Xanax" for God's sake. Good grief man. And we wonder why our kids can't compete with the Chinese and Russians in math and science. This is an example of partially why.
post not even worthy of a comment

@longtimerhsfan is one of the fairest people you will see on here and I cant speak to his intent but I am sure its not to ruin society as we know it due to the rain. No need to be condescending about the conversation, if its not your cup of tea then move on brother.

Yeah, no need to question anybodys manhood or the intelligence of their children because of not wanting to sit or play in rain. My child had a perfect S.A.t and had a few games called for rain, it's fine.

For what it is worth, when I brought up the subject of the weather, I was not even remotely thinking about the forest fire or the drought. I was not making those connections at all and was merely thinking about what would be the best for all the football fans and teams out there. With this much advance notice (i.e. games are still four days away) I would only hope that ADs would at least "consider" the idea of moving the games one way or the other if it looks like the forecast will be bad enough that it could impact the quality of the play. We have all seen games played in light rain or shortly after a rain, and most of the time you cannot even tell the difference. In fact I think we had that situation here in the area just a few weeks ago. It stopped raining by 2 or 3 and the games were fine. But we have all seen games played in absolute downpours and quagmires and on those occasions, neither team can possibly be expected to be at their best and the fans are miserable. So just keeping a watch and making a smart decision is all I was suggesting. My gut feeling is that it will end up being a non-issue.

There are ways to restructure bracketing where you don't have regular season district rematches. But that would mean other restructuring which I won't get into on this thread.
Yeah, like going back to earning a playoff spot. Used to actually mean something to get into the playoffs. I remember going 7-3 and 8-2 and not making it.

Sorry about that…it’s a pet peeve of mine…I’m off the soapbox now. Best wishes for all teams this week.

Good point. Around here both Staunton and Wilson had decent seasons (a winning season for The Hornets and a darn close to it for The Storm) and they each pounded 1-9 Buffalo Gap into the ground, yet they will sit at home while the Bison keep playing.

Union/VH game moved to Saturday at 2pm which prompted the town of Big Stone Gap to cancel the Veteran’s Day Parade, sadly.

Last edited:
@longtimerhsfan IMO Class 1 schools shouldn’t consistently compete with Class 3 schools so Gap getting handled by those two schools shouldn’t be a surprise. I know our view is skewed here in Augusta county because these kids all play against each other from flag on and have some history.

Reactions: TS69
Yeah, like going back to earning a playoff spot. Used to actually mean something to get into the playoffs. I remember going 7-3 and 8-2 and not making it.

Sorry about that…it’s a pet peeve of mine…I’m off the soapbox now. Best wishes for all teams this week.
Eliminate the first round and the matchups would be better. 3-7 teams shouldn’t be in the playoffs

Actually here in the Valley, it will be colder than we would like but they tell us the rain will stop by around 4:00. We have actually been pretty lucky this year so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT