ADVERTISEMENT

Staunton/Wilson Game Highlights Friday Night Shenandoah Schedule

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
It is supposed to be raining cats and dogs by Friday night but in some area gyms it is also likely to be raining three-pointers. There are three games on tap in the Shenandoah District and one in particular should feature a TON of triples. The other two games will have some too of course but at least those two look more competitive on paper. Here is the line-up...

BUFFALO GAP AT FORT DEFIANCE: The only question will be whether the Indians will top the 100 point mark for a third straight game. My guess is that they will, but they had better enjoy it while they can because they have yet to play Staunton, Wilson or Stuarts Draft and any one of those three will be capable of going toe-to-toe with the Indians. So yes, by all means whomp the Bison all you want but don't think it will happen every night out.

WAYNESBORO AT RIVERHEADS: These are the two teams that gave up those 100 point games to the Indians, although in each case they put up some respectable numbers themselves. But that is the nature of a game involving Fort Defiance. As for this match-up, you can expect more of a defensive slugfest. Each team is looking for its first district win of the season and most likely the one that can cut down on the turnovers and execute the best will come out on top. Riverheads has played well at home where they have picked up three of their four wins this season, whereas Waynesboro's only win was on its home floor. For that reason, I will predict that the Big Red can bounce back and take this one.

STAUNTON AT WILSON: This should be the highlight game of the weekend, as it matches the two teams that I considered at the beginning of the year to be the best in the district. Despite Fort Defiance's offensive explosions and a better than expected Stuarts Draft team, I still have these two as the favorites to rule the league. Staunton has already been involved in at least half a dozen nailbiters this season, so I am not sure if their fans can handle another one, but that is what I expect this one to be. I will go with The Storm to win a close one on the road, but a Wilson win or a wider margin for either team would not be a complete shock.

When I typed this last night, it looked as if Stuarts Draft had the weekend off but I now see that they are traveling to Central Woodstock on Saturday for a boy/girl quadruple header. All four games are listed as either a 4:00 or 6:00 start, so they must be using a two-gym approach.

As for the boys varsity game, having seen both teams in person, I have to say that SD appears to be the deeper of the two. Central has Williams, who can carry a game all by himself, but unless there is more to the Falcons that I am remembering, I think the Cougars will have the numbers to take this one, even on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT