ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Shenandoah Games-Title Could be Decided!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Although there are some make-up games here and there, there are technically four regular-season nights left for the eight Shenandoah District teams. Even though there is no longer a regular season champion, it is still something to keep a watch on, and as luck would have it, if there is such a thing as THE regular season championship game, it will take place Friday night. So let's get to it............

Luray at East Rockingham: The Eagles have only stumbled once in district play, an early home-court loss to Page that they later repaid. They won at Luray by 13 if I am not mistaken to give the Dogs one of their two losses. So with ER riding a 10-game winning streak and playing at home, they might appear to be a shoo-in to wrap up the title. But strange things have been happening on the road in the Doah this year. If the Dogs win this one, it creates a tie at the top and maybe even opens things up for Wilson to factor into things, since they only have three district losses. But an Eagles win will pretty much settle things and I think that is where we are headed. My prediction is the Eagles by 6.

Page at Stuarts Draft: In their earlier meeting, the Cougars just roared and clawed and everything else that Cougars do and made mincemeat of the Panthers. Even the most devout Page fans on here were ashamed of their team for not being up to the task and seeming to tire out. So with this second game being played at Draft, you would think the Cougars could show up with one paw tied behind their backs and win this one. But cue that earlier comment about strange things happening on the road. Can the Panthers do an about face and win this one? Of course they "can," but will they? I think not. Draft by 14 in one of their ridiculous 112-98 type scores.

Wilson at Riverheads: At the risk of sounding like a broken record, that road magic has to factor into this discussion also. The Gladiators surprised everyone, maybe even themselves, with a solid 14-point win at Wilson a few weeks ago. So can they get the sweep or will Wilson even the score? The Hornets are behind in their schedule because of football and the paper says they have something like six games in the next eight days, but that should not factor into this one. I have to go with RHS, you guys know that, but if there is one thing you can expect with these two, it is to expect the unexpected.

Stonewall Jackson at Buffalo Gap: Even though this involves the two bottom-placed teams in the standings, it is just as intriguing a game as the others. Both teams are on an "upswing" in terms of their play, especially the Bison. This week they have taken Luray down to the wire on the road and just last night, knocked off Nelson County. Stonewall on the other hand is still winless, but did you hear about last night's 67-63 near miss at home against Wilson? So factoring all of that in to the discussion, I will go with the Bison to win by 9.

So there you have it. In my usual logical fashion, I tell you all about the luck that teams have had winning on the road this season, and then I turn right around and predict four home team wins! But it has been that kind of year.

On Saturday night, Wilson hosts Fort Defiance in a non-district, make-up game. Although their records are pretty even, I don't see a Wilson win here. So yes, ONE visiting team will win a game this weekend. The Indians by 8.

The last time Page and Draft played, Draft couldn't miss all night and Page couldn't hit anything......and Draft scored 103 that night. So they'd have to be even hotter to score 112 this time. Think it'll be a lot closer this time and possibly a tossup

Luray didn't play in the 1st quarter of the game at home. They were down something like 18-2 (?) If they show up from the tip tonight it should be a very good game. If they take advantage of their size and establish anything in the post I think Luray pulls it out tonight.

I'm picking Page over Draft, page is playing better and I don't think Draft will be that hot again. Page had really solid bench play against Luray last week, I thin that will make the difference

If Shaner is still out for Wilson I'm going with Riverheads at home.

Gap should win at home also. SJ can't seem to play 4 quarters, spurts here and there then the bottom drops out.

Can't believe the season is winding down already.

For what it is worth, Shaner was listed in the box score for the Stonewall game Wednesday, but was listed as 0 points, meaning he appeared but did not score. Not sure how much we can trust those things however.

Boy did I get a wrong number this time around! I had predicted a four-game sweep for the home teams, but only East Rock was able to defend home turf tonight, as Wilson won at RHS, Page hit 100 to beat Stuarts Draft, and Stonewall picked up its first win of the season with a 5-point win at Buffalo Gap. What a crazy season!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT