ADVERTISEMENT

Well Done, Terriers

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
Congratulations to William Byrd's players and coaches on an excellent 9-1 regular season. I was beating the drum for Byrd as far back as last December. I believe at that time I said the 2016 Terriers would be a dark horse for a top eight seed in 4A West. I didn't envision them making a serious run at the number one seed!

I think this year's Byrd team has a fair-to-good chance of being the first in the school's history to reach the state semis in football. The most common criticism of the Terriers is that they're one dimensional on offense, and that's essentially accurate. However - Byrd is still going to be one tough out in the playoffs. A potential rematch with Salem will loom large, though both teams will have difficult regional quarterfinal games that can't be taken for granted. If both teams pass those tests, that one tiny little VHSL ratings point that allowed Byrd to edge out Salem could come home to roost. The Spartans have a significant speed and quickness advantage all over the field over the Terriers. On what, by November 25, could be a very rough and slow surface at Bob Patterson Stadium, much of that advantage will be negated.

Byrd is a tough, physical team. With the home field until the regional final (state semifinal), the Terriers should not be overlooked. Although I think Salem has improved dramatically since playing Byrd in early September, a rematch would still be a real rock 'em, sock 'em affair over in Vinton.

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT