ADVERTISEMENT

What is the “rest of the story?”

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Matt posted the story today about the HC of Salem VB, leaving and accepting the job as the AD at Denbigh. (If you are a paying member, you have access to this article).

First, let me say that Denbigh desperately needs someone with Coach Marcus Johnson-Williams talents to turn the athletic ship around.

But, I find it very strange that a head coach would walk away from his team three weeks into the season. He eluded to “the family component” so that may be his motivating factor.

My issue might be with Denbigh Then. Could they not have allowed Coach a 2 month grace period to allow him to finish out the football season with his team? Did they say, “take the job now or we find someone else?”

I'm sure Newport News and Denbigh couldn't wait two months and operate with no AD. It was probably a now or never decision he had to make (at least for this job). I don't blame them for giving an ultimatum & I don't blame him for taking it. It does hurt to lose the coach mid-season. It's kinda the same scenario as college FB coaches all getting forced to abandon their teams ahead of the December signing day because that's how the coach job market works now.

I'm sure Newport News and Denbigh couldn't wait two months and operate with no AD. It was probably a now or never decision he had to make (at least for this job). I don't blame them for giving an ultimatum & I don't blame him for taking it. It does hurt to lose the coach mid-season. It's kinda the same scenario as college FB coaches all getting forced to abandon their teams ahead of the December signing day because that's how the coach job market works now.
Your basically right. Plus an AD position is way above a HC in a educators career progression. With Denbigh’s football team the worst on the Peninsula , an experienced AD is desperately needed all around.

In most localities they allow you to get out of your active contact if it’s a promotion. Considering the AD is the principal of everything after school, this was a major move. Everything looks legal. It’s also helps that the current staff at Salem VB will be able to continuing building on what they were already doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT